Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helix DSP Mini - optical vs line in

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: Helix DSP Mini - optical vs line in

Quote Originally Posted by TechUser View Post
    Ok, thanks. I've never installed a DSP before, so I'm glad I have your input.
    Any questions drop me a message, no matter how daft they seem

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Greg
    Vehicle
    2014 Ford F150

So, I've finally got some time testing my system now that it's in my truck. I'm using a relay to turn on all amp trigger lines, and it turns on all amplifiers on power up, and I'm getting low sound volume out of the rear speakers, but after about approx 20 seconds the DSP turns off all Amp trigger lines. After a lot of reading in my Helix manual and this forum, I went back to the screen shots I took of setting up the DSP on my bench. What I found was I put it on PowerSave mode with a 30 second time out before it turns off all the amplifiers. So now I have to connect it to a laptop pc to adjust it much longer, or turn off PowerSave completely.

I have an old PC laptop (Win XP) and my daughters MacBook Pro- both are a no go. It looks like I'll have to bring my Nuc PC desktop setup into the back seat of my truck to get the job done. I wish there was a Chrome or Apple version of the DSP app.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2014 Ford F150 SuperCrew Tremmor 5.0 with 8" Sync screen, w/ AmpPro, Alpine PDX-F4, PDX-M6, MRV-F300, Helix DSP Mini.
    "Gooooood quality music makes my soul smile."

3. Back To Top    #23

Quote Originally Posted by TechUser View Post
    So, I've finally got some time testing my system now that it's in my truck. I'm using a relay to turn on all amp trigger lines, and it turns on all amplifiers on power up, and I'm getting low sound volume out of the rear speakers, but after about approx 20 seconds the DSP turns off all Amp trigger lines. After a lot of reading in my Helix manual and this forum, I went back to the screen shots I took of setting up the DSP on my bench. What I found was I put it on PowerSave mode with a 30 second time out before it turns off all the amplifiers. So now I have to connect it to a laptop pc to adjust it much longer, or turn off PowerSave completely.

I have an old PC laptop (Win XP) and my daughters MacBook Pro- both are a no go. It looks like I'll have to bring my Nuc PC desktop setup into the back seat of my truck to get the job done. I wish there was a Chrome or Apple version of the DSP app.
    Buy a version of win 7 and put it on the xp laptop, I bought win 10 license from somewhere in South America for £16 ($22 ish) then use the laptop, if it’s on win xp you clearly don’t run much modern stuff on it (win 7 normally runs fine on win xp laptops, I wouldn’t go to win 10 though just for it being resource heavy

there are apps for Apple, but not a full tuning app as it would be way too resource heavy and look awful stacked up with a 30 band eq in each channel, it’s just not practical… plus the helix software for the pc is very well laid out and simple to use

i turn power save off if I’m honest, but as long as you’re playing music power save won’t turn anything off

also using a relay isn’t necessary unless you’re turning on ten amps or more, or adding extras like fans off the relay, the relay can also induce switching noise in a system
    Last edited by dumdum; 09-26-2021 at 04:54 AM.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Greg
    Vehicle
    2014 Ford F150

Still having same problem, goes into power save. I'm going to try bypassing the relay, and go straight to the 3 amplifiers. And thanks for the XP tip on Win7. I will definitely try it. I run nothing else on that old laptop, except a few random apps.

The thing is, the amps are turning on fine with the relay. But it might be a DSP timing thing...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2014 Ford F150 SuperCrew Tremmor 5.0 with 8" Sync screen, w/ AmpPro, Alpine PDX-F4, PDX-M6, MRV-F300, Helix DSP Mini.

5. Back To Top    #25

The relay won’t stop it working correctly, but try removing it, your current draw for three amps is fine direct

sounds like a good candidate for a win 7 upgrade

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Greg
    Vehicle
    2014 Ford F150

Re: Helix DSP Mini - optical AND line in

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    The relay won’t stop it working correctly, but try removing it, your current draw for three amps is fine direct

sounds like a good candidate for a win 7 upgrade
    The relay circuit is gone, and I'm now running the turn-on signal direct from the Helix DSP Mini's "Trigger Output" line to the three Alpine amplifiers. No change. The trigger output goes 'low' after the time-out on power save mode. This means the DSP doesn't recognize the input signal coming in from the AmpPro.

I'm getting the audio signal and amplifier trigger line from the F150 OEM head unit using AmpPro.
    It feeds low level RCA and/or digital optical signal to the DSP unit. I'm feeding the DSP both RCA and Optical, so I have an option if I have an issue with one, I can troubleshoot using the other.
    The DSP feeds the following speakers:

-Front Left Tweeter
    -Front Right Tweeter
    -Front Left Mid Woofer
    -Front Right Mid Woofer
    -Front Center Mid

The Rear speakers are NOT fed through the DSP. They get their signals from the AmpPro's rear left and right RCA lines.

The funny thing is, all three amplifiers are turn 'on' and light up. The rear speakers work, so I know the AmpPro is sending low level signals to the amp that drives the rear speakers, but the DSP is acting like there's no signal coming into it (no front soundstage), so it goes into power-save mode.

I've created both Analog and Digital optical inputs on the IO section - analog inputs on the Main Routing page, and digital inputs on the digital routing tab.
    HEC/AUX routing is off
    FX functions are turned off for now.
    I've tried turning off power-save mode, but it leaves amps on and still doesn't provide an output signals out of the DSP.

Should I try running the system without the URC.3 wired controller?
    I'm going to look for a step by step walk through...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

What are you using for your turn on wire for the minidsp?
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Helix DSP Mini - optical AND line in

Also it would probably help to have some screenshots of your settings for the minidsp.
    a
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Greg
    Vehicle
    2014 Ford F150

I'll try to post some tomorrow. The DSP is triggered by the AmpPro which has a 16 gauge trigger output line that goes to +12V when Ford OEM system turns on.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10. Back To Top    #30

What priority are the inputs set as? Could be the order the DSP takes the inputs and it doesn’t see anything so turns off.

Also check the sensitivity and threshold settings of the inputs.

What is the turn off time delay set at on the DSP?

Does the DSP turn off or just the amps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk