Thread: Car audio & electric cars - does it work?

1. Back To Top    #1

Car audio & electric cars - does it work?

More each day, I'm convincing myself that it's time for an e-car. I don't drive that much - run what errands I can on bikes and work close to home. I don't need to drive a lot. So an electric makes sense. Still not settled on the car, but one thing I haven't really explored is what this means for car audio. I don't have a lot to work with now - 85A alternator, and it's plenty with modern efficient amps, but I'm still going to want more than what the factory audio can provide.

Anyone have any ballpark estimates on what I can expect for available power use in maybe a mid-tier electric? Any other surprises to consider when going from gas to electric? I do live in a climate which sees extremes in the Summer & winter. It can range from 0F to 100F and either side of that. So I would expect a great deal of demand for heat and cooling in the Summer & Winter. The good news there is that I'm rarely driving more than 15 miles in a day, so wouldn't expect range to be an issue, but would like to have ample power available for at least a kilowatt of audio. Reasonable?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: Car audio & electric cars - does it work?

I'm curious too. I think some vehicles will have a bulk storage battery pack at high voltage that drives the wheels, and it also "charges" a standard 12v battery for vehicle electronics. I think the equivalent of an alternator is the DC-to-DC converter between the big pack and the 12v battery.

I hope that's close?
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

I had a listen from a factory Tesla Model S last year and for a factory system it sounded pretty good. Sounded like there was a small subwoofer under the front dash too.

This was the car. It went 0-60 in 2.5 seconds at the time but I let off at 50, lol. https://youtu.be/Z4WcrLzq0QE
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Short answer - yes it works

Electric cars are pretty common here in Norway, something like 50% of all new cars sold here are pure EV, and about 80% are hybrids (electic + gas/diesel).

Pretty much all electric cars run a high voltage setup for the motor(s) with a step-down converter to 12V to run all the car electronics like lights. wiper motors, fans, OEM stereo etc. This converter does not power everything directly, but through a 12V battery (regular car battery).

From what I've seen, most newer EV cars will support a pretty decently sized setup just fine (say a 4x100w component amp + 5-700w monoblock class D amps). The most extreme setup I've seen and heard was a Tesla Model S with about 3kw of amplification including 2000w for the Digital Designs 9912 subwoofer hidden in the rear "footrest" area (you can get the Model S as a 7-seater where the two seats in the back is rear-facing, basically inside the rear trunk.) All that was done to support the power requirements for that size system was to add two more AGM 12v batteries as power reserve.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm planning on building one - but that affords me the option of designing in my own isolated 12v system - and possibly two. So maybe that's not what you are really asking.

As a teen, my first car was a 1973 VW Super Beetle. I put a built 1776cc motor into it, lowered it, and customized the hell out of it. That thick, egg-shaped sheet metal roof is unbelievable for taking a pretty mild sub and turning it into giggle-worthy SPL at the front seats... as a teen working a part time job and building more than just a stereo, my budget was limited and that was such a cool surprise.

I have a 1995 (single owner!) Civic that's sadly largely sat unused for a few years. So I'm fixing that up now... Planning to sell it to buy an electric drivetrain, maybe Tesla, and then can start shopping for a VW to swap it into. And clearly I'm an audio guy so...

My plan was the 350v system for the drivetrain. If course.
    And a separate 12v system for everything else (maybe two) -

If you think about it, this isn't much different from a gas car:

You have an alternator that creates a 12v electrical system in the car, charging the 12v batteries.
    An electric car has a DC-DC converter to create a 12v system, charging the 12v batteries.
    In both cases, the current for the 12v system really comes from the main powertrain - whether it's gas or electric.

It is interesting to think of the impact of the 12v system on the main powertrain - that's something I think lots of people surprisingly don't think about today...
    Even though big alternators create drag that reduces horsepower and mpg - less power and range. Same as an electric car, if you designed a system with a huge current draw.

So I think that's step 1 - design an efficient system. It's one reason I'm wanting to play with this new generation of class-D micro amps.

And it's a reason I'm intrigued by these "super capacitors"...
    For a car with an alternator - a cap is a necessary buffer to slow voltage drops to where transfer to the alternator at least doesn't damage battery plates.

In an electric car, or seems critical to add 12v reserve capacity - more batteries - but also to protect that DC-DC converter.

I'm thinking we can use our creativity in the car audio realm to add capacity (and capacitance!) to the 12v side of an electric car...
    Then you can add a "big" system.
    And again - I think efficiency matters... So "big" should be as small as works.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #6

Here’s a post specifically about the Tesla and making sure current isn’t pulled too quickly.

https://www.travisllado.com/2019/05/...mmary-and.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Here’s a post specifically about the Tesla and making sure current isn’t pulled too quickly.

https://www.travisllado.com/2019/05/...mmary-and.html
    Actually they seem to claim that particular DC-DC converter is so efficient, you don't even need stiffening capacitors.
    Since that exchanges voltage for current with the same ratio, time has to stay constant, so that must help.
    Still - with stiffening caps (or ultra-caps) it seems extra smart to not risk screwing up Tesla bits.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk