Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick my "Do it once...Do it right" System equipment

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Help me pick my "Do it once...Do it right" System equipment

You could even go cheaper on the sub amp to save some money, but that's the only place I would cut the budget.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

I say option 2 because you won’t notice a difference between those amps. What about installation and tuning? Arguably installation and tuning are more important.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Eric

I'll suggest option 3 with some caveats...

- If you're going to use AF GB speakers, try to fit the GB10/GB40 combo if possible. I run the GB10/GB25 set and while it covers the intended freq range and gets really loud, I can imagine that the GB40 would provide a bit more mid-range oomph due to it's surface area... and probably take less power while doing it.

- If you can fit 8" drivers in your doors, that possibly gets you more mid-bass impact up front, depending on the speaker of course. I run Audio Development NEO 800's which I'm more than happy with, but my installer prefers Morel Elates.

- I run Zapco amps except mine are the 4 channel version for the front stage, so I feel like you have the amps covered.

- As for the DSP, you can't go wrong with a Helix, but depending on your tuning abilities, you could also look into the miniDSP C-DSP 8x12 Dirac Live model, which does a great job of auto-tuning, but still allow you to tweak the results.

4. Back To Top    #14

I'm still not clear on what this list of gear is specifically meant to achieve - specific personal goals, and all that...
    ...but I would bet even an IASCA judge wouldn't hear differences in the Audiocontrol vs Zapco amplification, and you aren't using the built-in processing since you are using a DSP (and I wouldn't hold Audiocontrol's processing at any disadvantage anyway, of course).

If simply picking between those two, I'd use installation considerations and price to pick between the two.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    I say option 2 because you won’t notice a difference between those amps. What about installation and tuning? Arguably installation and tuning are more important.
    I have a shop in Central Florida to do the work of install and tuning..after the initial install, I'm sure I'll be tweaking from now to eternity...

6. Back To Top    #16

[QUOTE=geolemon;62448]I'm still not clear on what this list of gear is specifically meant to achieve - specific personal goals, and all that...
    ...but I would bet even an IASCA judge wouldn't hear differences in the Audiocontrol vs Zapco amplification, and you aren't using the built-in processing since you are using a DSP (and I wouldn't hold Audiocontrol's processing at any disadvantage anyway, of course).

If simply picking between those two, I'd use installation considerations and price to pick between the two.

Hey Geolemon,

My goal is great sound (I know...I couldn't be more basic). I am not new to sound and sound quality. I have ZERO desire for sound competition life, although I've been to many of them. I choose my goals based on what I listen to not what numbers/stats/ status I wish to achieve. I definitely want long-lasting equipment, and am willing to spend the $ to get quality and quantity of dsp shaped audio. Hope that helps...I listed my favorite types of music earlier in the post, but here...

I am an r&b, jazz, gospel, old school hip hop fan...think Kool and the Gang and Ice Cube mixed with Tower of Power...

I'm not wanting overly boomy sound (deep bass isn't the primary desired effect)...but I want great extension and fast transients...(both in my front stage and subs) thus SQL-12's in a sealed config.
    Last edited by agm; 06-29-2020 at 10:18 PM.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

For 12's I recommend FI's or Image dynamics if that helps. I know you've kind of got your mind set. At least with the FI's you can pick and choose how you want them built in the upper lines so they're tailored for your needs. I'm having one if the XV3's built for me now for my daughter since she want's more SQ than SPL, but does want it to thump, and that will come with the tuning.

8. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by agm View Post
    My goal is great sound (I know...I couldn't be more basic). I am not new to sound and sound quality. I have ZERO desire for sound competition life, although I've been to many of them.
    So that's still a pretty general goal - meaning:
    Great sound to me means "great imaging" - and although that primarily means "location and aiming", no matter the equipment...
    ...it definitely can drive decisions like "three way up front... No speakers in the rear" or "small mids only, rear, ambient fill"
    ...or maybe a center channel is part of someone's imaging strategy. Or horns...

Great sound to a buddy of mine who is both a DJ and a legitimate audiophile, is to emulate a club, in his car. Which definitely means speakers front and rear, because the image is "everywhere, yet nowhere".

If your "good sound" doesn't reach to these depths, then realistically any of the above three might be perfectly fine. Maybe you don't care that rear tweeters can cause comb-filter-effect and pull imaging rearward... My own Fiancee runs her fader slightly to the rear and won't listen to a word of advice i give her.

My comment on IASCA judging was just to point out - ESPECIALLY if you aren't tuning to the degree where these type of things are critical to your goals - then Zapco vs Audiocontrol... even an IASCA judge wouldn't listen to those two systems and be note critical of one than the other.
    Personally, I'm a fan of how compact the AC amps are, and it seems you have a better price on those than the Zapco...

So back to the goals - what would you expect the Zapco to give you that the Audiocontrol wouldn't?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

So AGM did you check any of those subs out or are you going with the others you have listed?

10. Back To Top    #20

I looked into the ID and haven't yet checked out the FI. I'm not a huge fan of the ID's but purely from the olden days when I wanted more boom. I already have the SQL-12's so I will definitely install them and then see what I think. I have quite a bit of room to play with on the rear package shelf in the trunk, and if Im not satisfied, Im only out $600 for the both of them.