Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick my "Do it once...Do it right" System equipment

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me pick my "Do it once...Do it right" System equipment

Hello All...this convo started on Diyma and I'm looking to expand my decision making to this site. (I love the comeraderie and collective wisdom here!)

My vehicle: 2003 Mercury Marauder

Head unit Kenwood 9906xr

Hi Res Through AptX HD wireless connection on Amp (Kann Cube)...?

I'm running a 220 Amp DB Electrical Alternator.

Ok, so i am rethinking my amplifier setup: What do you guys think about these options. Please consider these concepts as if you were doing it for a system in a daily driver:

Option One (original plan): $

Kenwood Head Unit 9906xr
    Audiocontrol D-6.1200
    Audio Control LC-1.1500
    Audiofrog 3 way GB set in custom speaker pods.
    Stereo Integrity SPL-12 subs (2) sealed

Option Two (second plan): $$

Kenwood Head Unit 9906xr
    Audiocontrol LC-6.1200
    Audio Control LC-1.1500
    Helix DSP.3 Processor

Option Three: (new idea plan): $$$

Kenwood Head Unit 9906xr
    Zapco Z-150.6 II 6 channel AB amp
    Zapco Z-2KD II mono channel D amp
    Helix DSP.3 Processor
    Last edited by agm; 06-21-2020 at 10:41 PM.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help me pick my "Do it once...Do it right" System equipment

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marauder After Tint.jpeg 
Views:	217 
Size:	4.62 MB 
ID:	11983

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Skip the audiocontrol DSP, the software is junk and it lacks A BUNCH of features. Their amps are nice, just not the dsp.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Option 3
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    Option 3
    Why is three the best pick for you beak81champ? I know there are obvious reasons for some, but I wonder if there will be a significant improvement over option 2. What do you think?

6. Back To Top    #6

3 for me...

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

From the list, I think most everyone will pick option 3 because it's objectively the best/most premium component setup.

However;

What is your criteria for choosing a setup? The best sounding end result irrelevant of cost? Best balance of cost vs result? (bang for the buck). Do you have a set total budget where what is not used on components, is used on deadening/install/tuning?

Lots of unknown variables here.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Haakono View Post
    From the list, I think most everyone will pick option 3 because it's objectively the best/most premium component setup.

However;

What is your criteria for choosing a setup? The best sounding end result irrelevant of cost? Best balance of cost vs result? (bang for the buck). Do you have a set total budget where what is not used on components, is used on deadening/install/tuning?

Lots of unknown variables here.
    I guess my most influential criteria is living without that sinking feeling of regret. I only buy a system every 7-10 years when I pick up a new(er) or more necessary daily driver. In my Ford Excursion, I went with Focal Coaxials, jl audio xd amps, a jl 10w3 and a jl audio 13w6. I love Kenwood head units as well. The truck was for overall good sound with a bit of fun pushing the envelope periodically with sub bass.

On this build, I want the flexibility of playing with my dsp/settings to achieve some profiles that will accompany a few different styles of music: Jazz, R&B, Gospel, and some old school hip hop. I also love lossless audio and therefore wish the system to play accurately with tweaks for my personal listening tastes. I love bass...good clean bass, but I'm not a boom system man. Since I already own all the equipment in option one (less the AF's) I am willing to sell the Audio Control amps to make way for a better functioning system.

I am an r&b, jazz, gospel, old school hip hop fan...think Kool and the Gang and Ice Cube mixed with Tower of Power...
    I'm not wanting boomy...but I want great extension and fast transients...(both in my front stage and subs)

btw: I don't think I have an adequate space for the director for my DSP.3 Helix (future buy). Where would be a good place for that controller in my car? (Same interior as a Grand Marquis, but much more fun) The change from option 1 to 3 is roughly $600-700 extra. I would hate to let that keep me from an honest feeling of accomplishment versus the feeling of "missing something". Does that make sense?

I haven't heard ANYTHING bad about option 3, but option 1 and 2 seem to have some opponents on the site. Are my assumptions correct?
    Last edited by agm; 06-29-2020 at 10:19 PM.

9. Back To Top    #9

Don't put the cart before the horse...

Design your system first. Your installation plan. Your goals, what you want to achieve - and your installation plan for achieving that.
    THEN pick equipment that best suits THAT particular application.

And be careful gathering answers on the internet - both are good forums, but...
    Ask a guy who owns a farm "what car is best?" He'll say "a truck!" and he'll be right. For him.
    Ask a race driver, he'll say "a sports car!" and he'll be right. For him.
    Ask a motorcycle guy... You get the idea.
    Everyone has their own personal, biased, unwittingly anecdotal notion of what they think is the best equipment out there.
    But what suits their goals and tonal preferences best isn't necessarily what suits mine... or yours.

So tell us this first - what's the goal and plan that you need equipment for, in this Marauder?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by geolemon; 06-27-2020 at 06:55 PM.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by agm View Post
    Hello All...this convo started on Diyma and I'm looking to expand my decision making to this site. (I love the comeraderie and collective wisdom here!)

My vehicle: 2003 Mercury Marauder

Head unit Kenwood 9906xr

Hi Res Through AptX HD wireless connection on Amp (Kann Cube)...?

I'm running a 220 Amp DB Electrical Alternator.

Ok, so i am rethinking my amplifier setup: What do you guys think about these options. Please consider these concepts as if you were doing it for a system in a daily driver:

Option One (original plan): $

Kenwood Head Unit 9906xr
    Audiocontrol D-6.1200
    Audio Control LC-1.1500

Option Two (second plan): $$

Kenwood Head Unit 9906xr
    Audiocontrol LC-6.1200
    Audio Control LC-1.1500
    Helix DSP.3 Processor

Option Three: (new idea plan): $$$

Kenwood Head Unit 9906xr
    Zapco Z-150.6 II 6 channel AB amp
    Zapco Z-2KD II mono channel D amp
    Helix DSP.3 Processor
    Option 1 - no dsp - NO!
    Option 2 - Audio Control amps + Helix DSP - Ok.
    Option 3 - Zapco Amps + Helix DSP - WINNER!
    But I wouldn't limit yourself to Zapco amps, there are plenty of great quality amps, JL Audio, MMATS just to name 2. I'm sure there will be more suggestions.