Thread: New system advice

1. Back To Top    #1

New system advice

Hi All
    Planning to re do my current system and Im looking for a new set of components
    Ive narrowed it down to these sets:

Morel maximo ultra 502 - 80 rms 160 peak (Maybe just one side)
    Hertz Cento CK 130 - 70 rms 210 peak
    Audison prima apk 130 - 75 rms 225 peak

The theres about £20 difference between them all here in the UK from various places. But what would be the best to go for? The Morels peak is only 160watts (I guess this is a rating for one side and not the full set).
    The audison set is £200 and is 225 peak.
    The hertz I can get the cheapest out of the three.
    These will be connected to the Audison AR 4.500 amp in 3 ch mode

Which would you choose and why? Or do you recommend another set thats in a similar price range

Any help appreciated

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Re: New system advice

I personally like the sound of the Morel Maximo ultra's vs the others (completely subjective) however all of them have a soft dome tweeter vs a metal, which i am not a fan of, they tend to be "harsh/bright" for me (again totally subjective). I feel the Morel's offer a better sound if your main listening is music that is more instrument and vocal based (rock, country, jazz, ect..) vs more synthetic (EDM, pop, rap).

Again this is all subjective and honestly i dont know if of the 3 you could pick a 'bad' one

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Cutaway View Post
    I personally like the sound of the Morel Maximo ultra's vs the others (completely subjective) however all of them have a soft dome tweeter vs a metal, which i am not a fan of, they tend to be "harsh/bright" for me (again totally subjective). I feel the Morel's offer a better sound if your main listening is music that is more instrument and vocal based (rock, country, jazz, ect..) vs more synthetic (EDM, pop, rap).

Again this is all subjective and honestly i dont know if of the 3 you could pick a 'bad' one
    Thanks for your input. I just want the best quality of sound from the budget I have. I read the Audison and Hertz are joint brands in a way? Maybe those two models are pretty similar to each other as the specs a fairly the same so would probably only compare the Morels to the Audison and hertz as one.

Seems to be that Morel isnt easily available in the UK and trying to ship from the US makes them way over budget

Im open to other options if there are other component sets which are considerably better and in similar price range

Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

If you are going to be running active, there are tons of raw drivers that may surpass your choices for the same money, or might get you the same quality for less money. Just a thought...

Welcome, by the way!
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    If you are going to be running active, there are tons of raw drivers that may surpass your choices for the same money, or might get you the same quality for less money. Just a thought...

Welcome, by the way!
    Oh okay, thats interesting. But I guess id need to run a bigger amp or a completely different one?
    Im trying to keep it a basic/simple install but good quality. Dont really want to be running alot more wires than needed. Im not running a headunit either, Just a small bluetooth device that will be connected to the amp directly via the rcas so it will all look hidden and stock.
    I guess with an active setup I would need to run a dsp too?

Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Hello and good luck as you begin upgrading your system!

I would HIGHLY recommend going active and budgeting for a quality DSP. With a DSP, you're able to dial in and get the most out of any drivers you decide to go with. If you're a true audiophile, then there really is no other way now that this technology exists. I am a firm believer after taking inexpensive JBL coaxial speakers and creating a system that sounds amazing! Really is incredible what you can do with these pieces of technological marvel!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by cueball981 View Post
    Hello and good luck as you begin upgrading your system!

I would HIGHLY recommend going active and budgeting for a quality DSP. With a DSP, you're able to dial in and get the most out of any drivers you decide to go with. If you're a true audiophile, then there really is no other way now that this technology exists. I am a firm believer after taking inexpensive JBL coaxial speakers and creating a system that sounds amazing! Really is incredible what you can do with these pieces of technological marvel!
    These are valid points, but [even for some of the same reasons] I wouldn't advise a newbie to start with an all active system, DSP or not.

I think it's usually best to start simple...
    A component set and a subwoofer. A mono amp and a stereo amp. Use the crossovers the component set came with.

Reasons:
    DSP is hard. Especially for a newbie. Even experienced DSP tuners suggest putting a passive crossover on the tweeter just for the risk of accidentally playing it full range while tuning.

Especially for a 2 way set - the factory crossover is the correct point between the mid and tweet - often their responses barely kiss each other, so that xover point can be very important to nail. Without a DSP especially, it can be hard to align two separate amp filters to one point, much less a specific one.

Cost. Your speakers won't sound any different on a 2 channel amp using the passive, than it will on two amps aligned to that same crossover point - even IF you magically nail it dead on... which you won't... So the passive will sound better.
    But four amp channels cost nearly double what four will.

And you can always add amp channels later, when you decide you like your basic choices for speakers and amps...
    ...and are truly ready to take things to the next level with a DSP. It is an expense. IMO, that's the point you are ready for it.

I just suggest taking things in that order, to maximize bang for the buck at both stages.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Geolemon, you make awesome and very valid points. I assumed based on the OP's current system and wanting to change that he isn't necessarily a newbie. Probably should have thought that one through a bit more. I tend to get excited too easily! LOL!

Yes, full active systems with or without DSPs can open up a whole new world of audio bliss, but it is pretty advanced stuff. Having ran active for many years and only spending a small amount of time using passive crossovers, when it was time to go full active and add a DSP, I was ready to learn. It obviously benefited me being surrounded by some very knowledgeable people, which I know isn't always the case for other folks.

Now, all this is moot though if you pay someone to install and tweak. HAHAHAHA! J/K.

Purchasing quality equipment and components, then dabbling with how polarity, balance, fade, power, and placement affect sound, is a great place to start.

KISS is a good principle to use in car audio and still net some great results. I've heard some amazing sound systems that were a simple 2-way front-stage running passive off of 2 channels of a 4 ch amp, and then 1 sub running off the other 2 channels bridged and using the amp's onboard crossovers. That's about as simple as you can get with aftermarket unless you go with coaxial speakers instead of separates.

Thank you for bringing my head out of the clouds!

Mk2Singh, I suggest you take Geolemon's advice and ignore mine. He really hit the nail on the head. At some point down the road, if you decide to continue with this great hobby, you'll want to start exploring and expanding your knowledge and we have an awesome forum here full of amazing folks, like Geolemon, who can assist.

Chris

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    These are valid points, but [even for some of the same reasons] I wouldn't advise a newbie to start with an all active system, DSP or not.

I think it's usually best to start simple...
    A component set and a subwoofer. A mono amp and a stereo amp. Use the crossovers the component set came with.

Reasons:
    DSP is hard. Especially for a newbie. Even experienced DSP tuners suggest putting a passive crossover on the tweeter just for the risk of accidentally playing it full range while tuning.
    Especially for a 2 way set - the factory crossover is the correct point between the mid and tweet - often their responses barely kiss each other, so that xover point can be very important to nail. Without a DSP especially, it can be hard to align two separate amp filters to one point, much less a specific one.

Cost. Your speakers won't sound any different on a 2 channel amp using the passive, than it will on two amps aligned to that same crossover point - even IF you magically nail it dead on... which you won't... So the passive will sound better.
    But four amp channels cost nearly double what four will.

And you can always add amp channels later, when you decide you like your basic choices for speakers and amps...
    ...and are truly ready to take things to the next level with a DSP. It is an expense. IMO, that's the point you are ready for it.

I just suggest taking things in that order, to maximize bang for the buck at both stages.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    A DSP wan't hard for me, it was the actual tuning process that has taken a long time to learn. Even then, it is the little nuances that take it from 90% there to 95% there that take the most time.
    But I am also pretty tech savy so that makes a difference.
    Even then, setting up inputs, outputs, crossovers, and time delay is pretty simple, a new user doesn't have to use the Levels and EQ yet. But it is there when you want to start dabbling with it.

While the passive crossovers may be set up to cross, for example, at 3200hz, that doesn't mean they will for every vehicle, that is going to depend on the vehicle acoustics. Using a DSP lets you fine tune this to get the best crossover.

Also most suggest a simple capacitor on a tweeter for extra protection, some use it some don't. But for the $0.50 that they cost, it is cheap protection.

To maximize bang for buck, you should get what you actually want right now. Paying once will always be cheaper than upgrading.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

10. Back To Top    #10

HI Guys, I appreciate your inputs on going down an Active route with a DSP. I wouldnt say I am a newbie but im not very experienced with DSP's and setting them up. Most ive seen require set up equipment which I dont think is worth me buying. I see now they are getting better with options for a regular consumer to be able to tune themselves at home but this system isnt for my daily car either so I dont think I would benefit the full experience of an active setup. However, as you guys have said, I have the option to change and upgrade in the future.
    I settled for the Morel components and now looking out for the Audison SR4.500 amp so I can run it in 3 Ch mode with bridged channels for a sub. This should do me well until I decide to change it up again and hopefully theres more options on the market by then.

Thanks