Thread: Quick Intro - Out of the game for a while

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick Intro - Out of the game for a while

So long time lurker over at the DIYMA forums... never actually registered but used it to do some reseach back in the day... Figured I'd post up with a quick little intro and why I came out of the shadows finally.

I have been building systems from the moment I started driving. Of course back in the late 90's I didn't know much more than how to add some bass to a system. Had an f-150 that went through 3 or 4 systems in a few years, lots of polk audio back then. I think by the end of High School I had learned enough that I was at least running some mmatts stuff. Then I got bit by the BMW bug (bikes and cars) and pretty much haven't looked back, I'm on number 20 something... almost all of them got upgraded systems but as I got older and the cars got nicer and newer, the big systems went away in favor of amp and DSP upgrades (helix, match, etc.) As such I haven't even been in the know about this stuff in at least 10-14 ish years. In this time I have grown to have pretty specific tastes... It's gotta look factory or be OEM for the HU, I really don't like the look of most aftermarket units and I don't want to see sub boxes or anything out of place, trunk/cargo area still needs to be functional. I have to use my cars with clients and bosses... no one wants to be the 35-40 year old with the car that can't fit everyone's golf bags because he has an SPL setup in his trunk.

Currently I have a couple BMW's the DD is a wagon with a A/F Match amp, the speakers are all upgraded to the factory BMW Individual Audio ones and a tune for the touring interior. Very similar setup in 2 of our other cars, one a coupe being a BavSound (helix) amp with a tune running the factory HiFi speakers and the other gran coupe got the full Individual Audio system from the factory.

So needless to say, I'm not a bass head or a SPL junkie... I just like a decent stage with good sound all around... Sometime I like it loud but I also don't like to attract attention to myself. My music taste is very ranging... lot of country and rock (classic to metal), some hiphop, some EDM... also a decent amount of spoken word (podcasts and books.)

Anyway I decided to come out here to ask for some help in setting up a little system in my beater car (I'll create a new thread.) I am remodeling and like everything I do, it is mostly DIY and I find myself constantly filthy and grabbing the keys to my old winter beater (back when I lived where there were winters) mitsubishi outlander more and more as I tend to keep my cars pretty pristine. So looking to put a little system that doesn't detract from the cargo space... maybe even search the classifieds for some used gear to stretch the budget a little as this is really just a beater. Like I said I'll create a dedicated thread to it, DIYMA was always a really good spot for informed info back when I needed it, so hoping I can get some similar advice and reviews here.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Dakine_surf; 06-17-2020 at 03:42 PM.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick Intro - Out of the game for a while

I'm loving all the people my age who are into SQ, who are also getting back on the forums after some years off...
    Part of my personal time off was assuming these forums today would be filled with kids looking to figure out how to integrate selfie cameras into their dashboards.
    Big welcome.

Beaters are the most fun IMO, because - why not cut panels and drill holes in a beater to make things sound better?
    Check out the build section for my old Pathfinder - your Outlander probably isn't that vintage, but start up a thread there for sure.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah I was kinda in the same boat... back when I was into this stuff and built the systems from scratch, the internet was a much different place.

Then as my taste changed and it became about not showing off, most of my stuff became very much plug and play upgrades and OEM integration type stuff. Now that I know how a decent SQ system sounds, and have been spoiled by my cars as of late, I find myself wishing my little beater at least sounded a little better.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at your build. Maybe get some inspiration and tackle this thing.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Welcome!!!
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    1998 Tahoe

I totally get the stealth and stock looking builds. I am also getting older and my daily driver is a Tacoma with only upgraded door speakers. I was a bit nuts on my big build that I went and bought a used Tahoe to build a system in. But for daily driving it's not practical or convenient to have a trunk full of subs. Like you said family and coworkers don't wanna hair flip on the way to the store or work.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Welcome.