Thread: Help with 3-way active front for Lexus GX 470

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with 3-way active front for Lexus GX 470

Ok, everyone. Now it is time for my "help me decide components" post. Basically, what should I do for 3-way active for around $600 or so?

I just picked up a 2006 Lexus GX 470. I want to go active 3-way front, no center, no rears, and a sub or 2 in the back. Not worried about amplifiers because that will be the easy part and I will let the speakers decide the power. I'm planning on the DSP-408 to keep the budget in check and it seems like a good DSP to start with then upgrade at a later date if I feel the need.

As you can see in the picture, the front doors have 3 speaker locations. I was wanting to do a full 3-way from Stevens Audio but unfortunately they don't have a midrange option that will fit the mid spot in the door and I contacted them to see if one was coming and they have nothing in the near future.

I can still do the Stevens Audio MB8 and a tweeter from one of their component sets but now I need to figure out the midrange. According to Crutchfield, the only thing they have in stock that fits is the Audiofrog GS25. We all know that Audiofrog is always a good option but it is a little above my budget ($200/pr) unless I can find a nice used set.

1. Is there another quality 2.5" mid that would work for me? If the GS25 is the best option then I will just bite the bullet. (Heck, if a used GB25 showed up then I think I would have to try them.)
    2. Are there any other suggestions for the tweeter or midbass that I should consider?
    3. I'm pretty sure the MB8 will fit in the door. Should I go the easy route and put it in the door or should I put it in the kicks? I'm concerned about dealing with door rattles.

Thanks for the help. This is my first post so hopefully the format comes out ok.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Driver_Door.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	381.8 KB 
ID:	11825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Passenger_Door.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	11826  

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Re: Help with 3-way active front for Lexus GX 470

Yes, the Morel CCWR254 is a very good comparable driver to the AudioFrog 2.5” midrange. HillbillSQ did a review of one against his AF GB25 and like them a lot.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_210CCW....html?tp=68800
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    Yes, the Morel CCWR254 is a very good comparable driver to the AudioFrog 2.5” midrange. HillbillSQ did a review of one against his AF GB25 and like them a lot.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_210CCW....html?tp=68800
    Ooh, good call. I do like the Morel sound in the installs I've heard before, just never have owned myself. In comparing the specs with the GS25, they have a lower sensitivity, don't go as low, and lower power handling, so that concerns me a little but Hillbilly SQ 's review over at the "other" site is easing that concern. I do tend to listen at what I consider "higher" volumes but that is a subjective value and may not play into this at all. I will have to seriously consider them. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

You won’t likely beat those for that price point and I wouldn’t let the lower power handling sway your decision. A midrange doesn’t need much power to get loud if used within its intended passband so it’s more of a marketing thing than a valid one for a properly tuned 3-way system. It’s likely those could get loud enough to damage your hearing over extended listening times. SB Acoustics May have something comparable and for more money Scanspeak maybe but those are proven to sound really good.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    You won’t likely beat those for that price point and I wouldn’t let the lower power handling sway your decision. A midrange doesn’t need much power to get loud if used within its intended passband so it’s more of a marketing thing than a valid one for a properly tuned 3-way system. It’s likely those could get loud enough to damage your hearing over extended listening times. SB Acoustics May have something comparable and for more money Scanspeak maybe but those are proven to sound really good.
    Scanspeak was another one I was looking at originally since I've liked their sound in the installs I've listened to but they don't have anything in a 2.5" that I've seen. Maybe in the future if I move the mids and tweets up to the sails or pillar.