Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Got a somewhat crazy idea for my truck, you tell me what you think.

1. Back To Top    #31

Re: Got a somewhat crazy idea for my truck, you tell me what you think.

Here's one listed at 89 dB 1w/1m (!). Seems well worth a try at just $15.
    https://www.parts-express.com/pyle-p...xoCYFsQAvD_BwE

2. Back To Top    #32

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Good stuff. I wish I were as patient.

I hadn't thought of sensitivity until now, which leaves me wondering if it's even plausible that a suitable 6.5" DVC driver might exist, i.e. one with high enough sensitivity to effectively blend with component sensitivity of (presumably) ~90 dB. For example, the 6.5" DVC subwoofer I linked in post # 23 is rated at just 82.8 dB sensitivity, which I suspect is typical of such a driver. Would such a disparity not require an L-pad or some other means of attenuating the components? Am I missing something?
    Sensitivity is interesting to think about- I was thinking basically "it doesn't matter", not only because I assume 6.5" DVC will wind up being a "you take what you can get" affair, but also because the 6.5 will end up getting twice the power (probably actually not quite double, but still) of the other 6.5. But that's about a 3dB difference. We don't know what the sensitivity rating of the front components is - I'll have to go back to the original post to see if he said what they were.

All the usual speaker engineering rules apply...
    Not to go into my usual rant about people who run SPL subs in daily driver installs - but yes, the trade-offs can be downright silly. To make a speaker handle more power, you HAVE to give it heavier gauge voice coil windings - which are physically heavier and therefore lowers efficiency. And, often designers compensate that extra mass with a lower compliance, stiffer suspension - which also lowers efficiency. Then, people need to run an amp that has thousands rather than hundreds of watts just to get as loud as the sub that "only" handled hundreds of watts was.

Even if the speaker chosen was poor in sensitivity, I wouldn't try to L-pad the components. Again, we're not looking to make that center 6.5" present or locate-able, we're just looking to augment the bass coming from the 6.5's... whether that's a little, or a lot... the advantage of "a little" is it'll be subtle and not risk shifting the image... the advantage of "a lot" is, of course, if there is the typical midbass problem, the "null", you'll squash it and have kickass midbass.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Here's one listed at 89 dB 1w/1m (!). Seems well worth a try at just $15.
    https://www.parts-express.com/pyle-p...xoCYFsQAvD_BwE
    I honestly think this could very well be nearly the perfect choice. Not only is the price right, but cheap speakers ARE more efficient (see above). This Pyle is probably a terrible subwoofer -but look at those specs. Perfect for midbass. And if for some reason it's crap... first off, since we're only using it for midbass, that hardly matters since we're constraining it to the 80hz-300hz range where we're less sensitive to distortion compared to the area four octaves higher where we're most sensitive to details.

In fact, if you compare that to the technically "better" Sundown speaker you mentioned - yeah, not only is it less efficient out of the box, but it's physically larger - and that's a bad thing for this tiny enclosure we have, that will make it even less efficient (enclosure controls efficiency more than the sensitivity rating).

So honestly - and here's something in my years on this planet that I never thought I'd say - that Pyle might actually be close to an ideal choice.
    And if it turns out not to work - all that's invested is $15 for the sub and $10 for two coils. Cheap experiment that is likely to have great results, I believe.

3. Back To Top    #33

Thank you. Your thoughts on sensitivity make good sense.

And that's very much what I was thinking about the Pyle. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that as well.

4. Back To Top    #34
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

Yes Geo, I have to agree with Grinder, thank you for your patience. Now things are coming more clear to me, little-well hell a lot slow on the uptake, I'll own that....haha Now I get where the mix between 2 and 4 ohm on the same channel come into play, I didn't "see" it before. The midbass will be 2 ohms and the components will stay @ 4 ohms, that's where I was getting messed up. My very first subs as a 16 year old were PYLE DRIVERS, how funny to come back to tem 30 years later. Like you said they are for some extra fill and not upfront imaging, can't be but so bad right? Also, I'll it so I can dissconnect them instead of having to remove the whole center console again, PITA...lol I can't really anyone saying to me you midbass sounds like shit...lol With having These are what I was looking at so you can see what the advertised efficiency is and the parameters.

• ESK 165L.5