Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning with a subwoofer

1. Back To Top    #1

Tuning with a subwoofer

I just read something Andy from Audiofrog posted and it made me wonder what everyone else is doing.

He said “If you have two channels in the DSP to devote to feeding the sub, then you can tune one (side of the car) with the left and one with the right. Then, when you play both channels it'll be correct.”

Are you all muting the R channel on your DSP that feeds your sub when tuning your L side (and vice versa when tuning the R side?

I’ve been tuning the sub with both the L and R sides linked. Treating it like mono I suppose. But is this wrong?

I suppose I figured that the sub would always be playing L and R side info together. So why not tune them together?

I guess if I’m truly keeping the signals separate (and not mixing them as mono) before routing them to each channel of the woofer, then indeed it might make more sense to tune these channels separately as they will carry different info. If, however, I combine the L and R channels and send them together to each (L and R) channel of the subwoofer then I think tuning them together as I am doing makes sense.

How are you all doing it with regard to routing signal to each sub channel and tuning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: Tuning with a subwoofer

Usually Andy's ideas are super easy and make tons of sense.
    I'm not sure about this one though
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, it was a bit of a surprise to read. I’ve always figured that the sub is playing both L and R together as one speaker, so why not tune with the L and R playing together with the channels linked in the DSP (and treat it as a single driver)...

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

I treat it as a single driver and make all adjustments the same on both channels that feed the subwoofer.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Cathul View Post
    I treat it as a single driver and make all adjustments the same on both channels that feed the subwoofer.
    Ok, cool. Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Well, i feed it with both channels and set both channels for the sub to the same values, equalizer settings, gains and all that stuff, but when tuning i disable one channel and tune one side after each other.
    That's also the way i measure left/right side total responses.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Cathul View Post
    Well, i feed it with both channels and set both channels for the sub to the same values, equalizer settings, gains and all that stuff, but when tuning i disable one channel and tune one side after each other.
    That's also the way i measure left/right side total responses.
    Interesting. Why separate it out when tuning when you have them linked with all the settings affecting both channels anyway? Genuinely curious how separating them when tuning would be different / better than tuning them together.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Well... with the Mosconi D2 100.4 DSP and Mosconi D2 500.1 the level is several sb higher when using both channels, even if it’s mono.
    Therefor i tune each side to preserve the relative loudness of the sub frequencies. When tuning each side with both sub channels active I don’t have enough base when both sides midbass and tweeters play together.
    Maybe it’s the wrong approach, but it fits my taste.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I could see this being nice for tuning purposes.

If you have both left and right going to your sub, your overall level will be louder than just one input side playing.

If you tune your left side and play both sides to your sub, your sub level might be low when you play both left and right sides together.

If you tune your left and only have left going to your sub, then when you play both left and right it will also raise your sub level up.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Exactly that. I posted a screenshot with left, right and combined response. It was measured exactly like you said.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC