Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Audiofrog 8” drivers

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: New Audiofrog 8” drivers

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Yeah, honestly, I'd rather have a lower cost speaker with a "stamped steel" basket than the same speaker with an increased price just because it has a "cast" basket (Aluminum, ABS or whatever material). It just seems like it would add cost for no significant "gain"...

Then again, some people are into how the stuff "looks" - so maybe that is important to some people (although, an 8" midbass speaker probably won't be visible).
    Cast aluminum sheds heat faster than steel.

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    I love what Andy is trying to do. But, this is probably going to be another $900 solution right? Too many other options out their at or below this price point.

$500 to $600 a set and this would entice me.

Ge0
    No. Much cheaper since he didn't have to cough up tens of thousands for custom tooling for the baskets, which is the only reason it is a GS series speaker, not GB

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    I've always wondered (not being familiar with "high end" speakers - what is so bad about stamped steel speaker baskets? Do the plastic speaker baskets really make a significant difference?
    Nothing inheritly wrong with it. Its just cheaper to make and use and looks cheaper

4. Back To Top    #24

Quote Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
    Cast aluminum sheds heat faster than steel.
    I would add that if you NEED cast aluminum to shed heat faster, you're probably not into sound quality.

5. Back To Top    #25

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    I would add that if you NEED cast aluminum to shed heat faster, you're probably not into sound quality.
    o contrare monfrare. The trick is maintaining SQ while loud. Heat buildup works against that.

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    or just wanting a driver that doesnt have a lot of thermal compression issues and higher power handling...

7. Back To Top    #27

So this'll be a driver for use in a 3 way, with kicks/door enclosure, or 3 way and run it in a sealed up(but no enclosure made in the door) type deal? Really interested...

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Nothing inheritly wrong with it. Its just cheaper to make and use and looks cheaper

I've ran composite, stamped steel, and cast aluminum...none made that much of a difference to the overall sound. Stamped looks cheap, but is still very rigid and does keep costs down.

The ID8s I love to use are made from a powder-coated stamped-steel basket and they perform very well.

My JBL GTOs are made of a plastic/fiberglass mix, and they do well too! LOL!

9. Back To Top    #29
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Let's not get a hard on over what material is used. If used correctly each can do the trick. You have been brain washed into thinking plastic and steel are cheap and aluminum is superior.

This conversation is starting to sound like the marketing jargon in the cycling world. You "need" a carbon fiber frame and wheels. Although, aluminum and steel work just as well but are not the latest buzz words.

I own a set of Frog composite 6x9's and Dynaudio MW182 stamped steel drivers. Both perform superior to aluminum framed drivers I have tested in my doors thus far.

Nick had a point about using stamped steel baskets to keep tooling cost down. A punch press stamping die is probably much cheaper than a aluminum mold and trim die. Just say'in...

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

10. Back To Top    #30

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    Let's not get a hard on over what material is used...You have been brain washed into thinking plastic and steel are cheap and aluminum is superior.

Ge0
    Not the point at all. Materials have different properties. Some are superior to others where needed. These days, you have more options than ever & can choose among a range to suit your tastes - if you've figured that out yet. You get the choice of carbon, aluminum, paper, composite, plastic, ceramic - just in cones. You get stamped steel motors, cast aluminum, pure billet, proto, etc. Neo magnets, ferrite, servos. Different weights and electrical properties and stiffnesses.

Nothing is better than anything else. Pick what works for you.