Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Camry XLE

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: 2013 Camry XLE

My "temporary" tweeter mount - I'm a huge fan of the blutac as I can relatively easily adjust where the tweeters are aiming... Fingers crossed tomorrow morning I'll have something half-assed up. I started a new job and between that and the California heat-wave I've only just gotten this stuff done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GZ8o8qw.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	13340

2. Back To Top    #22

So I actually lived up to my word for once.

Yesterday I DID get stuff playing, abet only the right side. This was due to a mix of poor connections(because I rushed) and a mixed pair of RCAs. I sorted that all out today. I'm faced with the conundrum of having my driver's side MUCH lower in volume. Not sure what happened/is happening. Between the heat and morning tranings at work, I won't have much time the next two weeks to mess with this, but atleast it plays. Between going from passive 2-way to active 3-way, even without EQ, the midrange and highs sound so much clearer. I can't(but will have to) wait to get this EQd up.

(I swear I'm using a Helix )

Name:	aKIAG1b.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	13351

3. Back To Top    #23

Haven't had much time lately due to early morning trainings- I'm having a wierd issue with the left side cutting out and still haven't traced it down. I replaced all the RCAs from the Helix to the amps with some 6 foot Stinger ones, and completely rewired the left side but it's still funky, and I'm suspecting a loose RCA at the headunit since it only cuts out over bumps... Today atleast, I got some pink noise playing and took some measurements. California is hot as balls so I probably won't do any EQ until Monday Morning when it's somewhat tolerable out.

My tweeters are also hissing(they're the only ones to do so) so I have some 1" Daytons sitting in a box... Those should get installed some day...

Left Side

Name:	RPQ6VEh.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	13638

Right Side

Name:	x8e4CNF.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	13639

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Nice wiring work. The hissing sound might be the gain setting set too high for the amplifier driving the tweeters. Tweeters do not need much more than 5 watts to keep up with most mids so setting amplifier gains to clipping is not needed and only raises the amplifier noise floor.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

5. Back To Top    #25

I didn't really touch the gains for the tweets to be honest, I think they're getting ~10w right now... Rather than fix things like the left side still randomly cutting out(no idea why yet), I just Played with the Helix Auto-EQ while it was working...

"wow"

So I clearly still don't really know what the hell I'm doing 100%- I've watched SkiZeR's auto EQ video and skimmed through Andy's Tuning guide and the videos by Kyle Ragsdale on youtube, but todays.. rushed attempt still yielded great results(I would like to think anyways). I'm having the issue with a sharp drop at 20Khz, and I'm not sure of any fix for that yet, and you can see the Helix freaking the hell out about that in the screenshots below.

NOTE: Imgur was being pissy with me uploading things, so I attached them directly to the post

Right side - No EQ(green) and EQd(orange)

Name:	roomeqwizard_o4F27eDROR.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	13659

Left Side- No EQ(blue) and EQd(orange)

Name:	roomeqwizard_k7KIXUfstt.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	13660

Both Sides EQd- Left(orange) and right(green)

Name:	sL93HZiVvt.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	13661

I then took a measurement with all channels playing(and Sub EQd) and noticed the mother of all rise... I did a 3dB drop in the Helix software after that but... it sounded fun

Name:	IMG_20200907_131831.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	13662

Here's a post mortem in the Helix(sorry no sub channel in this pic)

Name:	IMG_20200907_124739.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	229.3 KB 
ID:	13663

6. Back To Top    #26

I spent more time with the auto-EQ and played around with various movements of the mic- I've seen SkiZeRs version of making smaller circles around an ear for a few moments before swapping to the other, as well as waving it around both ears in a semi-circle. I ended up doing the process three times today, and made a few core changes:

-Fixed the right side midrange crossover, which was low-passed rather than band-passed
    -Dropped the crossover between midrange and tweeter from 3500Hz to 3000Hz
    -Changed the midbass and sub crossover from 100Hz to 80Hz and 60Hz, respectively, after reading some of Andy Wehmeyer's(wow I spelled it right for once) posts.
    -Fixed the bodged time alignment from the Helix Auto-TA. I only just noticed that it had only done two out of the six up-front drivers and ignored the subwoofer.

This is my new left(orangey-bronze) versus right(blue) at 1/12 scaling.

Name:	jS7xyov.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	13740

Ah yes, the notorious driver side null....

7. Back To Top    #27

I've gone mostly silent since there's been no actual work aside from some tuning. Some more hardware work will commence when I get new drivers in next week. I am toying/planning to print speaker adapters for these since the metra ones won't cut it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ApplicationFrameHost_COEoHkqJ5j.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	14048  

8. Back To Top    #28

Moving away from the blu-tac to some real sails with the arrival of some new drivers:
    Kappa Perfect 900s - Grabbed the main 2-way set from a friend who ended up not using it, and "Scratch and Dent" 300ms from Crutchfield, which turned up as if someone had just looked at them and returned them... won't catch me complaining...

Name:	4gyYJTJ.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	14100

9. Back To Top    #29

I did a lot of things and uh, haven't really updated this thread, so here we go. Skipping a lot of photos since most were pretty bad:

Part 1- Sails

I used JB Weld PlasticWeld to initially mount these- cut a hole in the panel, nudged the tweeter cups in best I could-

Name:	zvEwfIT.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	14174

I finished up with evercoat rage and bondo's glaze putty, then primed-

Name:	i01seGr.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	14175

Painted with SEMs Ultra Black Trim Paint-

Name:	3EvBAfp.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	14176

Unfortunately, I need to sand off quite a bit as they get nudged out of alignment when the door closes-

Name:	CAYR30k.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	14177

Name:	P4sNX4l.jpg 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	14178

10. Back To Top    #30

Part 2- Dash panels
    So I'm still using the stock midrange/tweeter location for the 300ms, they fit perfectly in there-
    Attachment 14179

The stock cover however, does not play nicely...
    Attachment 14180

So I cut a hole in the, and bought some cheap 4" plastic rings from ebay, and glued them on the top. This was totally unnecessary as I later realized right after they shipped, so I just rolled with it- actually happy with how it turned out.

Name:	nqT2bpu.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	14181

Then I used glazing/spot putty to seal it up(should have used regular bog but I'm lazy and have a ton of this stuff after mistakenly thinking 1 tube wouldn't be enough for the sails.)

Name:	hXS09C6.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	14182

Sanded/cleaned it up a little and painted it with the SEM colour match paint I used on the sails-

Name:	0Mpcf0b.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	14183

Got some speaker grille cloth and glued it on:

Name:	OfcEoRL.jpg 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	14184

Name:	89yA13F.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	14185

Popped it in(I fixed it after taking this photo- it didn't pop in right on this go)

Name:	njvekuK.jpg 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	14186