Thread: time alignment and passive components?

1. Back To Top    #1

time alignment and passive components?

Hello all, a bit of back story.

my brother is getting ready to finally put good sound in his car. I am going to be installing a set of polk mm1 components and a kdc-x304 in his 91 civic to replace the old deck that died and the tired co axials in the doors. also planning on disconnecting the rear coax's and bridging his amp for fronts only.

I was pondering on locations to test the tweeters at when I had the thought that since his new HU has some decent dsp functions available in it how does time alignment play with passive component sets?

I figure that the best use of the available time alignment would be to use it to help blend the sub to the mids. in that case, would it potentially beneficial to try and mount the tweeters as close to the mids as possible?

would having T/A setup for the mids low in the doors cause really weird issues with tweets on the dash or a pillar area?

Would it be necessary to try and create some kind of a mounting location that brings the mids and tweets to as close to the same distance from the listing position as possible to minimize PLD?

Am i making a mountain out of a molehill and worrying nothing or am i crazy thinking about trying to time align a passive system?

come one and all, lets have a hopefully productive discussion and hopefully learn something together.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    Alfa Romeo GT

Re: time alignment and passive components?

using TA with passives is not ideal, but better than nothing. Best results would be obtained if your passive crossovers would have option of Bi-amping....
    Installing tweeters close next to midrange will be beneficial, and at the end you will get better results than with tweeters separated from mids which is somehow common this days (door mounted midbass/tweeters on pillars or sails)
    Also putting drivers down in Kick-panel area will help to keep PLDs close, but stage height might be compromised a bit in this situation.
    FOR FAST MOVING CONCERTS
    Team LBaudio
    Team BRAX
    Team SCB
    Team Car Audio Lab
    EMMA SLO head

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Re: time alignment and passive components?

In this scenario time align the Midbass drivers and not the tweeters. We're much more sensitive to time alignment in the midbass/midrange area than in the treble area.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)