Thread: Car audio set up question for a beginner

1. Back To Top    #1

Car audio set up question for a beginner

I just bought an older car (1982 BMW 528e) and I was looking to upgrade the car audio system. It currently has an aftermarket 2011 era Sony stereo in it. The car can only run 4x6 speakers and to run larger speakers, I would need to do some metal cutting which I do not want to do. My plan is to replace the stereo with the Sony MEX-XB120BT which has a built-in class D amp outputting 45W RMS x4, which is sufficient for my goals of just getting good sound out of four 4x6 speakers. I do not plan to have any sub and would prefer not adding the complexity, wiring, and cost of a standalone amp. The speakers I was considering (all around) were either the Infinity REF-6432cfx 4x6 or the Polk db461p 4x6. The Inifinity is rated at 45w RMS and the Polk at 50w RMS. Is there anything I'm missing, or any critiques or suggestions I should be considering?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Re: Car audio set up question for a beginner

It seems to me that you have figured out what you want and I don't see any red flags about the upgrades you are trying to make. Pick the speakers that sound the best and enjoy the new ride. Good luck!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Quote Originally Posted by sixseries View Post
    The car can only run 4x6 speakers and to run larger speakers, I would need to do some metal cutting which I do not want to do.
    That or you build some door boards where you mount the speakers into. As an example German company Jehnert made premade door boards for cars of this era back in the days with up to four 6 1/2" speakers each side.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

4. Back To Top    #4

Forget what the speakers are rated at. That is of no concern. What is of concern is their efficiency. The higher that number, the louder and cleaner they will be able to play with the limited wattage of the head unit before running that head unit into clipping.
    2001 Lexus LS430
    Pioneer DMH-2660NEX | Pioneer GM D1004 | Helix DSP.2 | Rockford Fosgate Power T400X4ad | Morel TiW 634Nd | Audison Prima AP1 | Dayton Audio Ultimax UM8-22