Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lf ideas on how to cleanly do this

1. Back To Top    #1

Lf ideas on how to cleanly do this

So the outer shape of the door panel looks like an 8". Behind the door panel. The shape is obviously an 8in but actually formed to be a 6x9. If i cut out the 8" shape on the door. It'll be a literal perfect fit for my 8in drivers. Just not sure how to cleanly integrate the hole/new grill on the door panel.

Anyone have any pics of similar?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lf ideas on how to cleanly do this

My bad. Forgot to upload pics. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200603_154604477.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	11575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200603_154630797.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	11576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200603_154632848.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	11577

3. Back To Top    #3
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Are you concerned about the grille opening not being the same round shape as the 8" woofer?
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    Are you concerned about the grille opening not being the same round shape as the 8" woofer?
    Kinda? The circle of the shape of the grill is actually half plastic on the inside part.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200603_190227465.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	5.02 MB 
ID:	11584

5. Back To Top    #5

What about drilling all of those little holes out so the top is no longer solid underneath. Should only take 42 hours.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    What about drilling all of those little holes out so the top is no longer solid underneath. Should only take 42 hours.
    Considered it heh but I'm sure I'd chew the edges up whenever the side of the bit hit. Would work technically but look like shit.

7. Back To Top    #7

The sound should "strainer itself" through pretty easily through those holes.
    Unless the ellipse is bothering you, just try it.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
    Considered it heh but I'm sure I'd chew the edges up whenever the side of the bit hit. Would work technically but look like shit.
    If you did the drilling in two passes and used a plastic bit for the second pass, the holes should be clean. Oh and keep the speed down so you don’t get any melting and maybe use some water to keep the bit cool.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-plexi.../dp/B07D1B3B51

9. Back To Top    #9

The driver will only be playing 80-1200 hz. 2k hz if u include crossover. That well into the range of diffraction/ nearfield reflection. Trying to build an Sq system and i think having a smaller grill will definitely cause stage pull.
    Last edited by Jscoyne2; 06-04-2020 at 01:59 AM.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
    The driver will only be playing 80-1200 hz. 2k hz if u include crossover. That well into the range of diffraction/ nearfield reflection. Trying to build an Sq system and i think having a smaller grill will definitely cause stage pull.
    Why not just measure the "stage pull" with and without the grills?
    Then we may know for sure if it I should a real concern.