Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What equipment brings back memories?

1. Back To Top    #21
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Re: What equipment brings back memories?

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Lemme guess....you decided what city to name each HU after
    Before my time

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    This was the first amp I ever had to repair. Look inside it. It's mostly empty except for a rats nest of wires going to discrete stereo booster I.C.'s. Brings back old memories...

Ge0
    I don’t think it’s THAT bad. It actually doesn’t look too bad for 30yrs old.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F8DDE127-F356-40FC-847A-4E12554E986F.jpeg 
Views:	190 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	11658

3. Back To Top    #23
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
    I don’t think it’s THAT bad. It actually doesn’t look too bad for 30yrs old.

Name:	F8DDE127-F356-40FC-847A-4E12554E986F.jpeg 
Views:	190 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	11658
    Not he one I was thinking of. But close

ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

4. Back To Top    #24

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    I started work for my current company as chief design engineer for the Blaupunkt audio brand back in 2008. Two months after my start date we sold off the Blaupunkt . I was re-directed to work on engine management computers which turned out to be pretty cool. Still, I was looking forward to re-shaping the brand name and bringing out some cool gear. Now the name is just a name sold off on occasion to the cheapest Chinese bidder. Sad...

Ge0
    An interesting thread would be keeping track of who owns what company and when they went to shit!

5. Back To Top    #25
    Vehicle
    Alfa Romeo GT

for me nostalgia hit when I see some old JBL GTI or pre GTI drivers, Infinity Kappa, Alpine V12, Orion Hcca, Phoenix Gold Mps amps, CV Stroker, etc...good stuff from the begining of 90s
    FOR FAST MOVING CONCERTS
    Team LBaudio
    Team BRAX
    Team SCB
    Team Car Audio Lab
    EMMA SLO head

6. Back To Top    #26

The original Alpine V12 amps were pretty disruptive and I ran them in two different rock-solid installs.

But the one that would tickle me most would be coming across late-80s/early 90s MTX Road Thunder II subs.

These were MTX's cheapest subs back then. There was zero truly special about them. But a local dealer near me sold them for a price 16 year old me could afford - 2 for $50 or something ludicrous like that for the tens, 2 for $60 for the 12s... Basically you could get two for the price of most other brand's entry level subs.

Not only were these my first ever "real" subs (after the usual flea-market toe-dip for some crap eights in a tiny box with horn tweeters and a crap amp that was a big fail but now wish I still had that garbage, too.

I used to do LOTS of Isobaric installs back then - in part because that twofer deal was so good, and those subs worked so well in an Isobaric clamshell - wimpy motors aren't so wimpy when you have two working together.

I don't have any pics of those Road Thunder IIs, but here's a pic of an Isobaric Thunder 2000 install I did in '96 (I think they replaced the RT2's) in a very 90s install in the floor of an S10 - I just split the clamshell and fired them into a thin coupling chamber using plexi.

I made that armrest, for the jump seats - it hinges up, the amp lives under there. With the back floor mat down, nothing was visible.

And for the hell of it - here's my biggest ever Isobaric install... 8 JL 10W0s in an Isobaric install so it only needed the space (other than the coupling chamber) of two 10s. 1997.
    ...that was also my first-ever all-passive install. Forgot about that part. Anyone else remember these Soundstream amps?

Damn, looks like I have no pics of the simple boxes with basic clamshell Isobaric. Oh well. I remember them.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    But the one that would tickle me most would be coming across late-80s/early 90s MTX Road Thunder II subs.

These were MTX's cheapest subs back then. There was zero truly special about them. But a local dealer near me sold them for a price 16 year old me could afford - 2 for $50 or something ludicrous like that for the tens, 2 for $60 for the 12s... Basically you could get two for the price of most other brand's entry level subs.
    I had a pair of them too. Pretty sure I paid $80 for a pair of 10s. And I had them running of the exact Sherwood amp somebody posted earlier...

Name:	31ADDCCB-8DAF-4012-A801-F79313DE0B81.jpeg 
Views:	290 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	11718
    ^ For the record, not my pic

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

So wanted a pair of these back in the late 80's to early 90's. I had an opportunity to by them, but instead bought an Altec Lansing ALS-12 subwoofer instead. Wish I would have never gotten rid of it. Needed a new surround/recone, but that was it!

I'm debating if I'm going to install all of my Altec Lansing components now that I'm really liking my JBL GTOs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82516132_2300101910091860_1315817648365240320_n.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	11719  

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

I managed to find one of these recently plus an extra faceplate for it.

My brother and I walked into our local car audio shop back in 1994 with $1100 cash and purchased the only 2 they ever had in stock. I believe they had them listed for $699.99, which was WAY too much. Still a great looking deck to this day!

Name:	kdcps900.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	11720

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

Okay, last one I'll post for the day. Ran one of these back in early 2000's. Still one of my favorite looking decks of all-time. Something about the brushed aluminum and the white dot matrix display.

Name:	x257KDSH707-f.jpeg 
Views:	178 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	11721
    Last edited by cueball981; 06-11-2020 at 06:30 PM.