Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Pillar Build -with Accuton!

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: A Pillar Build -with Accuton!

That looks awesome.
    And damn - those are HUGE!
    It sort of fits the personality of that Toyota FJ though, for sure. And the white with the white dash - it really helps bring it together. And that windshield is so upright, it probably doesn't even make huge blind spots!

I'm dying to know, knowing how expensive those Accutons are - what's the sound like?

2. Back To Top    #12

Yeah looks great. Got to love Accuton just for the name - it makes one think of accuracy !

Same question as LBAudio "Any issues with tweeters on the side (horizontal setup)? " - we have had some discussion here about side window reflections, and I know Nick has posted a few videos where he extols the virtue of vertically oriented tweeter/mids. Come to think of it your own install also has the tweeters wider rather than vertical. A year ago I probably would have thought it was great for width, but after my own experience in my truck I do wonder about the impact of side window reflections, its something I wish I could experiment with more.

is a question in there somewhere ? Just wondering your thoughts, or was this actually more of a packaging exercise ? I sure would love to hear a good Accuton setup but I live in Washington state so probably not going to happen.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Those are incredible!
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

4. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post
    Yeah looks great. Got to love Accuton just for the name - it makes one think of accuracy !

Same question as LBAudio "Any issues with tweeters on the side (horizontal setup)? " - we have had some discussion here about side window reflections, and I know Nick has posted a few videos where he extols the virtue of vertically oriented tweeter/mids. Come to think of it your own install also has the tweeters wider rather than vertical. A year ago I probably would have thought it was great for width, but after my own experience in my truck I do wonder about the impact of side window reflections, its something I wish I could experiment with more.

is a question in there somewhere ? Just wondering your thoughts, or was this actually more of a packaging exercise ? I sure would love to hear a good Accuton setup but I live in Washington state so probably not going to happen.
    I am 100% in favour of vertical alignments, and very careful placement of the tweeters height and position in relation to the screen and a pillar

unless your mid presents as being somewhere in the side window in its entirety you will never get a stable side, especially in front of you on the drivers side, to get a stable centre you need both mids and tweeters to present As being in the exact same location in space, if one presents as being further out than the other that will then diffuse your centre and make instrument positions a mess also unless you control things with waveguides and the like...

my latest test enclosures are in the picture, I get very good left and right images which are in a vertical alignment

nice pods by the way
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B2A76F78-39D7-4056-A91B-7F4F5F3171BD.jpeg 
Views:	192 
Size:	334.4 KB 
ID:	11573  
    Last edited by dumdum; 06-04-2020 at 02:03 AM.

5. Back To Top    #15

Pretty dang sexy. I thought it was going to ended up ridiculously clunky but looks good from that center view.

6. Back To Top    #16

Look amazing!!!!!

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    That looks awesome, Steve!

Is that Bill's truck? He's the only person I know with midbass in the a-pillars
    Thanks bro, yessir this is the legendary FJ.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post

We had them mounted vertically in the previous install. It sounded good, but needed some improvement in width. It's difficult to get that without physically placing the drivers wider (or using rears/delay). In this vehicle, we did testing prior to final install to determine the best location. This definitely yielded much better width in the car.
    Regarding the vertical alignment vs horizontal...It sounds cliche at this point, but every vehicle is a little different. The height, shape of- and distance to the adjacent surfaces of the tweeter will cause differences in the response at your seat. I've done testing in vehicles where vertically aligned yielded a far poorer result due to both the reduction in width and the reflections from that area causing poor imaging. I think keeping the tweeter as close to the mid as possible is almost always beneficial, but vertical or horizontal alignment is really going to boil down to what works in that particular vehicle location.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    I am 100% in favour of vertical alignments, and very careful placement of the tweeters height and position in relation to the screen and a pillar

unless your mid presents as being somewhere in the side window in its entirety you will never get a stable side, especially in front of you on the drivers side, to get a stable centre you need both mids and tweeters to present As being in the exact same location in space, if one presents as being further out than the other that will then diffuse your centre and make instrument positions a mess also unless you control things with waveguides and the like...
    I have not found this to be the case. Again, this is very vehicle dependent.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle
    Alfa Romeo GT

IMHO, vertical aligment of drivers will yeld better -sharper focuses. Width of the stage Will be probably better with horizontal aligment. Of course everything is vehicle dependant and user preference dependant. I always built pillars where drivers were vertically aligned and VERY close to each other - if possible less than 1/4 lambda of xo-frequency between mid and tw. Now for first time I build pillars where drivers are horizontaly aligned due to lack of space - I had no other option, Im interested how it Will turned out soundwise. Height of the stage should not be a problem with eather driver aligment.
    FOR FAST MOVING CONCERTS
    Team LBaudio
    Team BRAX
    Team SCB
    Team Car Audio Lab
    EMMA SLO head