Thread: Filling crash bars with foam?

1. Back To Top    #1

Filling crash bars with foam?

Been staring at my car door for the last 4 hours and deadening the fuck out of it. Makes me wonder..Would it be beneficial to drill a small hole into the crash bars and fill them with expanding foam? A big hollow metal bar or 3 in a door is definitely going to resonate like a tuning fork. Has anyone done this or heard anything about anything similar?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filling crash bars with foam?

I’d think it is structural/strong/dense enough that it would be hard to audibly excite. And foam wouldn’t add any density to attenuate the resonance. The only thing foam would do is attenuate sound INSIDE the bar, which the sound likely wouldn’t be able to get outside...until you drill your hole for the foam. I think the main thing to do is use butyl rope or similar so no panels resonate adjacent to the crash bar.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

I agree with dgage. Use the rope to isolate it from surrounding items. If you really want to do more. Place a few sections of CLD on it.
    Meh, it'll play.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
    Been staring at my car door for the last 4 hours and deadening the fuck out of it. Makes me wonder..Would it be beneficial to drill a small hole into the crash bars and fill them with expanding foam? A big hollow metal bar or 3 in a door is definitely going to resonate like a tuning fork. Has anyone done this or heard anything about anything similar?
    In addition to what others have said. One word comes to mind. RUST. I wouldn't do it.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose