Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head Unit Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Head Unit Questions

I have a few different vehicles, mostly "classic", that I'm going to start building systems in. Pretty much all will be geared towards sound quality, maybe some SQL. I've read that older Alpines and Nakamitsu were good headunits and I think it'd be fun to keep the similar era or at least less modern looking equipment. So...

1. When did the Alpines/Nakamitsu/Insert other brand here take their downturns from SQ towards profits?
    2. Kind of piggy backing on the above, what other brands and/or specific models would you recommend? I would prefer something I could adapt an AUX IN to, possibly using a CD changer input if possible. I have a vehicle or two that have 2 knob decks, wouldn't be against a quality tape deck if I could rig an aux cord into it.
    3. What qualities should I look for in a head unit? I've been leaning towards getting an Astell and Kern lower end unit with dual DAC and I want to make sure the HU can "keep up".

I have an 86 burb that I ran a US-740 deck in and it's terrible. I don't want to repeat that mistake again, so I figured older units will probably have better quality and I can try to create an aux in.

TIA!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Head Unit Questions

Eclipse

3. Back To Top    #3

Any particular generation or any thing from any time? I'd love to know why as well.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

If they are classics, why not just keep the factory HU and go directly into a dsp from some stand alone device (your phone, FIO, etc). That way it keeps it "original" and you still get the best sound.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #5

I will look into that! The suburban did not have a functioning radio originally

6. Back To Top    #6

Hello, one of them doesn't have the original radio already, so it would be fun to do a period correct install

7. Back To Top    #7

There's a "classic builds" section in the builds forum, here... and there's lots of 80's and 90's installs - magazine features, most of them. So for whatever year your cars are, you could probably go find some builds of that era, and see what head units were hot at the time. If it's used in a magazine feature car, it's probably top end for the day (of course, just tune out the manufacturer-specific installs, since of course they'd use their product).

I also wouldn't go too much further back than the 90's. You'll at least want a CD player, right?

Really all you are buying though, are cosmetics. I've seen classic installs done, going back to 1950's and 1960's cars, where they've taken one of two options:
    1) There's companies that make (or at least made) radios that emulate the old looks, fit the old dashboards, but have modern guts.
    2) Lots of people leave the existing head unit in the factory location - and it's just not hooked up to anything. Or maybe it's hooked up to an old-school single speaker. Then, they either make a simple panel inside the glove box, or something more sophisticated like a motorized drop-down under the dash, holding the actual, functioning, modern head unit, that powers the "real" system.

You might consider the latter, because you could even find a touch-screen head unit that really doesn't have any sort of "look" at all, if you are worried about period correctness.
    Last edited by geolemon; 06-02-2020 at 07:36 AM.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Some really good advice here already.
    I've installed a "classic" looking radio in an old 1960's Impala that has modern electronics inside it. Works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
    Eclipse
    If you want to try a period-specific model, I have an Eclipse CD7200mkii for sale. Just add a period-specific iPod classic and you'll be golden! The 7200 is worth a look since it has a really strong built-in dsp for it's time. It doesn't have any speaker outputs though so you'll need an amplifier for sure.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...literature-etc
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    Some really good advice here already.
    I've installed a "classic" looking radio in an old 1960's Impala that has modern electronics inside it. Works great!
    Custom autosound, that's what it is. I was blanking on that name before.
    https://www.customautosoundmfg.com/

10. Back To Top    #10

Justin's 7200 is probably the best feature and function unit Eclipse made. You would not be disappointed with performance. Even the Bluetooth function is pretty good.

I was thinking about their ECD lineup. They started making CD players with auxillary in during the late 80's which is spot on for your vehicles age.