Thread: I need assurance from somebody who knows AC and DC electricity well...

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2000 Honda Insight

I need assurance from somebody who knows AC and DC electricity well...

I have a 2000 Honda Insight that is de-hybrid'd. The DC-DC and battery has been removed, in it's place is a few Meanwell HRP-600 power supplies that can input AC or DC and give me solid DC output. One is dedicated to the car's 12v system, the other to my 15v lithium stereo battery. At the moment, I have it going from the 3-phase from the generator to a 3-phase rectifier diode that converts to DC and goes into both of the Meanwells. This works great! Here's where I want to complicate things...

I have my car setup to take AC to warm up and charge things. Currently, I have a Noco Genius battery charger on this system. I'd like to eliminate it and instead have my Meanwells charge on this, as there's no real reason to have the Noco. I'm planning to run some simple AC wire to the Meanwells, but obviously I'm fairly sure I want to isolate the AC lines from the car's 3-Phase/DC system.

My plan for this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d-b31d6b1bfbee

Use the relays to keep the meanwells NC to the 3-Phase to DC system, so when the relays rest, they are exactly as-is now. When the AC plugs in, it clicks over, isolates the DC and gives my 120v wall connection connectivity and lets the Meanwells charge my batteries. The 2 relays would be one for Hot AC and Positive DC, the other Neutral AC and Negative DC.

Can anybody see a flaw in this plan?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: I need assurance from somebody who knows AC and DC electricity well...

Seems like a reasonable plan. The capacity of the relay seems adequate for the power supplies. If you put the Meanwell power supplies on the wiper (or common) pins of the relay then the shore power and the dc rectifier output shouldn't be able to mix which is good.

A common way to do this is with a jack with male pins as seen on shore power hookups where you can either connect one power source or another, but never two at the same time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	191991_LRG.jpeg 
Views:	232 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	11494
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.