Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to test/measure delay?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there a way to test/measure delay?

I've got a 2019 Kia Stinger GT1 with the Harmon system and I'm overdue for an upgrade. What I'd like to do is to use my Audio Control LC8 to sum the front door channels and subwoofer (to ensure there's a full range signal) and then use the other 2 channels for the center which would output to my DSP 3 channels. Here's my question-is there a way to quickly and easily measure what, if any, delay is built in from the factory? I have the following test equipment at my disposal:
    • Oscilloscope (USB/PC)
    • DMM
    • REW and Dayton USB mic
    2019 Micro Blue Pearl Kia Stinger GT1 AWD-OEM Harmon Kardon System
    www.markfenskephoto.com

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there a way to test/measure delay?

Hearing is only way I am aware of , you can determine whether it is better with it or worse sounding ?

3. Back To Top    #3

If the oscope has multiple channels you can play a single frequency test tone and measure the sine wave of different channels they should show any time delays between channels.

4. Back To Top    #4

@betadata that's a good idea-thanks!
    2019 Micro Blue Pearl Kia Stinger GT1 AWD-OEM Harmon Kardon System
    www.markfenskephoto.com

5. Back To Top    #5

REW has the ability to use a timing reference, which sets one speaker as the timing reference.

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/he...surements.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    REW has the ability to use a timing reference, which sets one speaker as the timing reference.

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/he...surements.html
    that is only of use if you can turn on me off individual speakers like you can in a dsp for example, I think it would be of little use, I think a dual channel scope will be the answer as it doesn’t matter what is playing at any given time, it’s an electrical measurement vs an acoustic

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Well, if you play the timing signal through the right side you can still measure the delay of the left side.
    And this is better than nothing.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

8. Back To Top    #8

What is goal ?
    Do you need to verify DSP ?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Cathul View Post
    Well, if you play the timing signal through the right side you can still measure the delay of the left side.
    And this is better than nothing.
    Assuming the delay is identical for the entire left side and not different as then you would get potentially three timing chirps if you see what I’m saying

on thinking about it you could check all of a single side by disconnecting two speakers (mid and midbass) on the opposite side to use as a timing reference and then connecting the opposite side as single drivers and measuring them

it will then give a baseline for the three from each other and the tweeter vs the other tweeter, then if you swapped it around you should then find a similar difference in reverse from the opposite tweeter, it’s a bit of a faff but it may work

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mfenske View Post
    @betadata that's a good idea-thanks!
    Let us know how it works out.