Thread: Restoring my 1995 Civic EX ...that I bought in 1995.

1. Back To Top    #1

Restoring my 1995 Civic EX ...that I bought in 1995.

So no one has ever accused me of having too few projects going on at the same time...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200521_151833_HDR.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	5.29 MB 
ID:	11317

Besides my 2017 Civic I have this 1995 Civic EX that I still have... in fact it was actually the first new car I ever bought, in 1995.

Over the years, I put a real Neuspeed/Koni/Suspension Techniques suspension on it for autocrossing... a real RS*R JDM exhaust (which are actually quiet, low-tuned, and performance enhancers, unlike the WTF "fart cans" that some import fans used to use), a Jackson Racing supercharger, and a bunch of purple powder coating.
    Over the years there's been a bunch of evolutions of the sound system, mostly settling into the most recent iteration - a whole stealth-interior old-school JL-based SQ install, that happened to have a less-stealth grey vinyl/marble formica/mirror fiberglass trunk install that also had decent SPL for a SQ system, with a hidden-vented trio of JL 10W6's.

But I ripped out the trunk, planning a rebuild that ...never happened - a bunch of stuff happened, moved in with my fiancee, sold a house - and the car got put on the side for a few years. Murphy's law - I should have never ripped out the trunk.

Name:	20200521_151939_HDR.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	6.58 MB 
ID:	11315

So now, I'm thinking I am going to re-use the fiberglass spare tire well structure that's already in there, for something a little milder. Single 12. Amps on each side again, and again hiding and not changing those already-existing vents. Won't need much power because there's a ton of space here.

But first, the car itself needs some finishing of things that I never got around to....
    I have some rear control arms from an Acura Integra which bolt right in since they are sister cars - that effects a rear disc brake conversion.
    So I started that.

Name:	20200521_152735_HDR.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	5.91 MB 
ID:	11316

The tires also need to be replaced but I love these wheels so I'm keeping them.
    The rear window tint bubbled over the years - it's not dark but needs to be replaced.
    I'm not a carbon fiber fan really, but I replaced the original hood with a carbon hood about 12 years ago when my old garage spring broke and dented the original hood, and it actually looked decent. But now, it's sun faded so I bought a new one - have to install that, and some new power carbon fiber mirrors because I never want it looking like an unplanned part.
    There's a pile of little stuff that I have picked up over the years also to install.
    And I haven't detailed the engine or the interior in literally years now.

So maybe I'll include some of the restoration and clean-up stuff as I do the new install.

The new install is going to be pretty mild for a full trunk install, and will be based on what I had, just to make this project as simple as possible since I may actually sell the car once I'm done restoring it - so hopefully this one will fall more into an entry-level category, or an install that an entry-level enthusiast can pick some ideas out of.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Restoring my 1995 Civic EX ...that I bought in 1995.

That’s a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig tub in the trunk for a single 12!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by farfromovin View Post
    That’s a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig tub in the trunk for a single 12!
    It was a big tub for a trio of tens, even!
    That's one reason I had fun blowing people's minds....
    "That's just tens back there?"
    "Your sub amp is only 400w?"

But it wasn't REALLY that big - here's a "before" pic - you can see, I built a spare tire well into the top, so that did eat up a portion of that space:

Name:	20200420_181406_2.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	11324

Name:	20200420_181500_2.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	11325
    There was still a lot of cu.ft. though. Plays nicely with Hoffman's Iron Law.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200521_152735_HDR (1).jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	5.91 MB 
ID:	11323  

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Chris B
    Vehicle
    2019 Japanese 4dr Mustang

I had a 1997 Civic EX coupe. Part of me wishes I had kept it and dropped a B18C5 into it. Granted, the person I sold it to was t-boned in New Orleans, thereby totaling it.

Other than that, I'll be following because it is always interesting to see what could have been through someone else's actions, lol.
    2019 WRX Limited - Stock HK for now while waiting on parts to be developed...

5. Back To Top    #5

Just doing my son's civic I pretty sure there's 3.5 cu/ft in the spare tire well. I wish I would have known I could bolt up some Acura control arms in the rear. I replaced the entire brake system and I definitely would have converted.

6. Back To Top    #6

interested in where this goes as I have basically the same car and love seeing other peoples ideas.