Thread: the MaliBOOM

1. Back To Top    #1

the MaliBOOM

This is out of my personal archives, an install I did with a buddy of mine who was also a professional installer for a period of time (Circuit City guy), and we did the install for one of his friends. We did it out of my shop/garage at my house.
    Needless to say, he was a basshead.

I don't remember which 12's those Sundown were, but they were beastly.
    The amp was a Kicker Warhorse, and one thing I thought would make this install interesting was to make the amp rack also the vent for the wall of twelves there...
    The Warhorse is actually the bottom of the vent, and the 3/4" plexiglass cover is the top of the vent.

EDIT: This is the build sheet for this specific amp. That's RMS watts - still the most powerful single amp that I've ever installed.
    Name:  warhorse.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  19.0 KB

But first, the trunk... had an Xbox 360 and a separate component set for playing games back there. Built storage to hold games and controllers securely.

Didn't really need to worry about stuff rattling when the bass hit, since the wall of subs was inside the car.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20111106_143507.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	11126

Name:	20111106_143536.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	11127

Name:	20111106_143439.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	11128

Name:	20111106_143456.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	11129

Name:	20111106_143433.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	11130

Name:	20111106_143422.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	11131

Name:	20111106_143329.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	11132
    Last edited by geolemon; 05-20-2020 at 08:32 AM. Reason: added warhorse build sheet

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: the MaliBOOM

OK - the Warhorse and the Wall:

It's actually not a wall in the true sense - I built this like a box, it used fiberglass on the front to get some interesting curves (it's upholstered with a combo of factory Malibu vinyl and carbon-fiber look vinyl) and had a pretty complex box that went back to the window over the deck, and used up most of the trunk and spare tire well inside the trunk - stuff you can't see. I wish I kept shots of that...

But again, as mentioned above, the box/wall is vented, and the amp rack IS the vent.
    It really wasn't tuned too aggressively either... I forget what we settled on since this was 10 or so years ago, but I think we tuned it somewhere just over 30hz.

Name:	20111030_154722.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	11133

Name:	20111030_154623.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	11134

Name:	20111030_153743.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	11135

I'm not totally without construction shots, but man I wish I kept more.
    Those door panel pods were actually really tricky to do, because I formed them to match the contours of the door panel, and then receive into contoured walls behind the door panels/on top of the door structure, as a sort of over-engineered way to keep the door panels removable and have more solid coupling/separation than those foam barriers...

Well, I now have 27 very well done tiny scars from tiny stitches, from using a table saw like you are NOT supposed to use it, using it to shape rather than cut wood - man it flung it at my forehead and hit me square between the eyes. I could have lost an eye - it's really a miracle that I didn't. It sounded like a baseball bat hitting a baseball by a major leaguer, when it hit my forehead. Next thing I knew I was looking at the ground wondering what happened, watching the first drop of blood hit the ground.
    Safety first, people, safety first.

...but of course, I had to finish the job, so I came home and finished that damn driver side panel.

I wish I had the fiberglassing and upholstery photos though, since that was really the team effort...
    My buddy is an expert upholsterer, his dad runs an upholstery shop - always awesome working with him. It took two people to do this vinyl stretching - I know it doesn't look like it, but there were some really tricky spots in there (my decision to have some "feet" to better tie the upper to the lower part of the box, for example).

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: the MaliBOOM

Figured I'd bump this one while I was posting the Wayback Machine salvaged pics, since it's a crazy amp (which I also made "the lower wall of the port") powering a crazy fiberglass pseudo-wall.
    Last edited by geolemon; 01-20-2022 at 09:58 AM.