Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Summing at crossover - LR24db/BU24db

1. Back To Top    #81
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Re: Summing at crossover - LR24db/BU24db

Well, tbh... when your measurements are really correct it should be ok. Problem is that in most situations you cannot really measure to the voice coil.
    F.e. in my Mustang i have to estimate the distance from the grills to the voicecoil of the tweeters and the midbass drivers.
    And i measured the distances wrong on several occasions. When you measure correctly and your estimation of the distance from grill to vc is almost spot on there should be almost no difference to the IR measurement.
    And tbh... i doubt that a lot of people can hear the tiny differences at all, even when you're missing the measurement by about an inch or so (which is a lot for tweeters due to short wavelengths). On the other hand... do these differences really matter when just moving your head from left to right totally fucks up your phase from your tweeters response?

I'm just doing measurements for the IR, because i like the concept and tinkering with it and to get it as perfect as possible with my very and totally limited knowledge that i gained so far.

So all in all Andy Wehmeyer is for sure right with what he's saying. IRs, when measured correctly will always show the same delay between speakers when all speakers are set to 0ms delay. Same is true for correct distance measurements. 50inches (or the corresponding value in centimeters where i live) are always 50inches if you don't move the driver to another location. It is 50 inches now and will be 50 inches in a week. So yeah. Measure carefully, type it in your DSP and forget about this. Especially if you can alter the phase in parallel to the distance like you can with the Helix processors.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

2. Back To Top    #82

I hope I didn't come across the wrong way - I didn't mean to "downplay" the work you are doing and sharing here (it's much appreciated!) - I was just curious if anyone has found that setting delays this way was truly beneficial over just using measurements. I also wanted to make sure I wasn't just missing something.

Thanks for the reply - and please do continue to figure this stuff out and share!! The more information, the better. :-)

3. Back To Top    #83
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Don’t worry. All is good.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC

4. Back To Top    #84
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

So no news anymore... i decided to let the current iteration of the DSP setup be my final setup for now.
    Why? Well, i think it sounds great right now. Very good staging to my ears, very good impact on bass/midbass, clear mids, clear treble.
    I don't think that i can do better right now with the limitations the Mosconi D2 100.4 DSP is having.
    I got no allpass filter support in the DSP-GUI, although Mosconi-Gladen admitted that all DSP after 2011 are supporting allpass filters. They will evaluate a new version of the GUI for the D2 series and integrate allpass filters.
    But until then i would just do everything just over and over again without getting better results.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC

5. Back To Top    #85

Awesome. Glad you landed on a good spot where you can enjoy the music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk