Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Budget-ish Subaru Impreza Build Log

1. Back To Top    #1

College Budget-ish Subaru Impreza Build Log

So it started with my 2006 Rav4. Wanted Bluetooth and stuff, so I got a cheap pioneer head unit. Car was totaled, so got a 2012 Subaru impreza. Moved the pioneer into that. Pioneer stopped working/started having issues, and I wanted android auto. Thought it would be nice to have maps and music on a screen there. Picked up a Kenwood DMX-7706S on sale at best buy for $350. Things were good for a bit.
    Then I wanted more. Picked up a box with 2 Alpine Type E 12" and a Kenwood KAC-8401D for $150 on craigslist. Turns out both alpines didn't work, measured no connection between the terminals with my multimeter. Box was too big for my car anyway. Next day, I get a JL powerwedge box with 2 vintage 10W0 subs for $100. This was good.

Bumping with that for a while, pretty nice. But if I turned up the volume, the stock speakers couldent keep up. It was time to upgrade. Picked up some Focal ISS 165s for the front, and ISC 165 for the rear.
    Stock speakers look bad, tiny magnet, plastic basket.

Then time to sound deaden doors

And seal them

And put in a bass control knob

Sound deaden cargo area

And roof

Tuned system. FR measurement after tuning:

EQ applied to get system tuned

Then things went wrong. Trying to hook up my CT Sounds CT 80.4 amp, plugging RCAs into back of head unit, and I shattered the screen. New glass/touch panel ordered, will put in when it gets here.

New screen for radio arrived and installed. Amp hooked up, listening, then assembling and retuning the car

New stuff.

Kenwood XR-5S to power the fronts and subs and Helix DSP.2 to run everything\

Both inline crossovers now removed and replaced with high pass filter (around 3300 Hz, will be actively crossing over at around 4000-4500 hz). High pass filter is just a safeguard.

Got these installbay silicone speaker baffles, as rear speakers would get wet whenever it rained. The edge of the window where water could get in was directly above the speaker. Also have front baffle things, so they are replacing my FAST rings I didn't have too much confidence I (I don't think the open cell foam would do much to "direct" the sound, just let it pass through or absorb some)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: College Budget-ish Subaru Impreza Build Log

Right now in the process of getting the amps and DSP installed. Waiting on a few cables to arive and a new soldering iron because mine broke.

3. Back To Top    #3

Amp rack thing for DSP and 4 channel amp made to go under passenger seat. 5 channel amp is under the drivers seat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ku1fRgp.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	11150  

4. Back To Top    #4
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

That's a little bit nicer than my college budget-ish build at the time
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    That's a little bit nicer than my college budget-ish build at the time
    Yeah, originally it was just the head unit and sub, but then when I have been stuck at home all this time, I just went all out.

Anyway, everything is all hooked up and such, just need to tune it now. I noticed a hum from the tweeters, pretty sure thats because of the resistor I lost when changing crossover, changed impedance seen by amp, so I ordered some new resistors to fix it, and hopefuly the buzz should be gone.
    Also some other things sound weird. I think something may be out of phase, because it just sounds off. Ill have to do some expirimenting.

6. Back To Top    #6

Got some speaker brackets from aliexpress because the metra ones suck. Ordered 2 pair.Plastic feels much higher quality than the metra. And they are mirrored, unlike the metra. At least they should be... I got them, one pair is mirrored, one pair is not.$8/pair though, not bad. If only both pairs were right.

7. Back To Top    #7

With the DSP tuning complete, system is sounding good. Maybe ill add a bit more treble. but it seems like the system is easier to sound harsh in a car. here is where I am at. Red line is a "flatish" response, green is with the bass knob all the way up (can adjust between those two lines).

8. Back To Top    #8

Well so much for budget. Build is at almost $2k right now.

Helix C6B and C1T components bought used and installed. Man this system is sounding good now.
    MB Quart PWD 252 subs on the way, Should be a good inprovement from the JL 10w0.
    Also have a helix director on the way, to better controll my DSP.

Helix components looking much beefier than the focals.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5ShMDD1.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	12740  

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Man, that's the way to do it! Just a steady progress, and learning a ton along the way. Excellent work!
    Are you not entertained?!?!

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Nice work bro!!!
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10