Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: From Camry to Scion. Here we go.

1. Back To Top    #41

Re: From Camry to Scion. Here we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakine_surf View Post
    Yikes, hope everyone is ok...

Little off topic but do you know how your boss is obtaining 400HP with an r53 mini? Know anything about the build? Does it have a motor swap? Just curious, I'd love to pick his brain if it actually is outputting that... I own/operate a small Mini tuning/engine building business and 400HP has been nearly impossible... I got an r53 motor to 375hp once but it was nearly a $35K motor build with nothing left factory, I completely ditched the supercharger and went full e85 on a meth'd turbo... ended up not lasting very long. I have another build upcoming so if he is parting anything from that unfortunate situation I might be interested...
    I looked back at the texts from my boss and i was wayyyyyyyyyyy wrong about hp. More around the 280 mark. Probably a little more with some upgrades they did.
    Last edited by Jscoyne2; 09-01-2020 at 02:12 AM.

2. Back To Top    #42

2in baffle. Plus some high stuff to make a cool little baffle ring. Will raise it to be more centered in the enclosure. Also gotta clean up some body filler and sharp edges on the enclosure that ive been lazy about. It

3. Back To Top    #43

Quote Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
    I looked back at the texts from my boss and i was wayyyyyyyyyyy wrong about hp. More around the 280 mark. Probably a little more with some upgrades they did.
    No worries! Like I said, I'm really trying to get one up near 400... it's been, well a journey... and it hasn't really worked for me yet, lol.

I know there are a few running around but they have full motor swaps. I really would like to see one with a larger capacity supercharger on a r53 block... I know its impossible with the roots supercharger.

280 is still a handful in these cars and isn't easy to achieve either. Let me know if he is parting anything out... I'm always looking for r53 parts!

Sorry to threadjack... looking forward to the progress!

4. Back To Top    #44

Wrapped it and put super glue on all the side. Checked for fitment and resin'd it. Tomorrow ill start adding layers. Getting closer to finishing this one...and starting the left side.....

5. Back To Top    #45

Quote Originally Posted by Dakine_surf View Post
    No worries! Like I said, I'm really trying to get one up near 400... it's been, well a journey... and it hasn't really worked for me yet, lol.

I know there are a few running around but they have full motor swaps. I really would like to see one with a larger capacity supercharger on a r53 block... I know its impossible with the roots supercharger.

280 is still a handful in these cars and isn't easy to achieve either. Let me know if he is parting anything out... I'm always looking for r53 parts!

Sorry to threadjack... looking forward to the progress!
    I can say from being in it, that it was a little rocket. It handled well and never felt like it was losing control. The only reason we crashed was because well..he's kinda a trash driver and was at the top of 4th gear on a nigh 90 degree corner and we hit gravel and went off the road. The airbags didn't go off either.... But blame the driver not the car. It certainly felt like it could slaughter some autocross if given the chance.

6. Back To Top    #46

I went to Crater Lake for my birthday. Camped at a local lake near Crater Lake and woke up to this beautiful blue sky. Drove about 30 minutes and i was in a fucking forest fire. The sky turned into this 30 minutes west of where i woke up. If i had woke up a few hours later. I might just have woken up in a forest fire and not been able to get out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200908_092437584.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	13930

Name:	IMG_20200908_123539098.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	13931

7. Back To Top    #47

I basically got the enclosure to where i want it. I'll be cleaning up a few edges in the future but for now im gonna test for flexing tomorrow and bolt it into the car. The overall plan is to skin it in Carbon Fiber in the future. Actually quite a few things will be done in CF in the future but thats when i have a lil bit more cash to spend on the project. As for the tapped screw holes and eye bolts. The sub is going to have a trim ring that is decently thick. So the subwoofer sits pretty deeply into the baffle. So much so that once its screwed in. I will have ZERO way of getting it out. So what did i do? I tapped the two middle holes to have threads. That way i can just screw some eyebolts in and it pops right out. Perfect.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	13932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	244.9 KB 
ID:	13933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	13934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	13935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	13936

8. Back To Top    #48

Had some water coming in via the air vents as well as them letting an obnoxious amount of road noise in so i decided to make a more "fart" designed vent. Basically i just took the originals out. lined the hole with butyl rope, stuck a piece of mlv to it and then cut slits into the mlv. Then put a line of gap filler expanding foam around it, then trimmed that. Expanding foam sticks to fucking EVERYTHING so its just acting like secondary glue. Basically the MLV slits should let air go through when i close the door and there is a sudden pressure increase inside the car, but then return to their normal stiff sound blocking position. This is done on both sides. i just have pics of the one side with the enclosure. My phone takes trash pics. Sorry.

I have to say though. If you want a quiet car. Buy one because tracking down every tiny rattle in this car is a longggg process.

Note all the insulation, thinsulate and thin polyfill between the enclosure and the metal.

9. Back To Top    #49

Sneak peak. Possibly. If i can get this CAD file cut affordably

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	224.2 KB 
ID:	15049

10. Back To Top    #50