Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: From Camry to Scion. Here we go.

1. Back To Top    #31

Re: From Camry to Scion. Here we go.

HLCD is just the car audio horns we're talking about.
    Horn-Loaded Compression Drivers.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #32

3. Back To Top    #33

I went with horns just to try something new. I had 10" midbass drivers, 6.5 midrange, 1in tweeter and 2 15'' IB subs. It was truly an SQL system. It banged and sounded gooooood. When i went to horns in the previous car. I had an issue where my right side horn had zero stage. Hard right was slammed in the middle of the glove compartment. There isn't much i could do. I put a towel in a few different places with no changes and its not like you can really aim a horn. You just put that shit in flush with your dash and thats that. I simply could not solve the hard right issue. Plus i would say that when the horns played alone. They were pretty low stages. Like HVAC controls height. When i turned the 8's on the floor on though. The stage rose back to the windshield. Some people said they heard the lower stage with everything on. I never could.

Plus it was reallly fun when i go to SQ comps and the judges are like..where are your speakers. I don't see anything. :3 That can make a HUGE difference in how they grade your stage width.

Differences of cones vs horns though.

Cone Pros:
    Larger dedicated midbass,
    far less IMD in lower midrange,
    more install location/sealed box options. Most high efficiency drivers ive seen are designed for IB.
    More fun to see them flex and just go hard.
    I would say easier to install in competition level with flare. Acrylic baffles/grills. Leds, ect.

Cone Cons:
    Far harder to plan for width/height dispersion. What i mean by that is having a vertical orientation gives better wide dispersion, and having side by side drivers gives better vertical dispersion. Finding room in a car for 2 speakers in either orientation can be challenging.
    Possibly price. I subscribe to that notion that you should really never pay more than $200 per driver. Ever. barring Possibly the Audiofrog midrange line. They do something special for their size. All their other stuff is fantastic but just damn greedy imo.
    More drivers.
    More amps for drivers. Raises the price for entry quite a bit

Horn Pros:
    High sensitivity. Gets loud on low power.
    Hard to say anything about Dynamics that everyone brags about. It just feels like there is more life to the music with horns. It really got my foot tapping.
    Basically just need a 4 channel to get really loud.
    Install is a breeze. Don't need fancy tools to get things done. Just cut a baffle. Mount it to the door. Make some mounting brackets by measuring and bending. Mount to interior pieces. Done. No enclosures. No fiberglass. Notta.
    Lends itself heavily to stealth installs. Making a grill for horns is easy and makes them basically disappear. Cone drivers are in doors.
    Having a 70% of the FR coming from 1 speaker(per side) helps in many many ways. IMO, keeps instruments precise. Keeps almost all male/female vocals coming from one driver.

Horn Cons:
    You can't aim shit. Once they are in. What you get frequency response is what you get.
    Tend to have a pretty low roll off. My last car rolled off hard at like 6-8k. If they do it in this car too. I'll add a tweeter up top.
    Eric Stevens is a huge help but i've had some issues. HLCD came with no voice coil. Had to contact him. HLCD (that he designed) straight up didn't fit the horns (that he designed). Had to heavily modify the damn thing to fit. I ordered 1 driver from him. He sent me two. I contacted him and he was just like..Just buy another. Which seems like..um..no. He had no problem talking to me on the phone and getting things sorted out within 12 hours of each time i contacted him. So im not saying hes a bad guy by any means. Just seems like he doesn't pay attention? Maybe he was having a hard time in life at the time. Idk.
    Possible low stage if your not up to tuning them well.
    Price for the Ultra mini Neos is pretty high imo.

4. Back To Top    #34

i used to have my ears drawn to the right horn/tweeter as well, fixed it with tuning.

5. Back To Top    #35

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    i used to have my ears drawn to the right horn/tweeter as well, fixed it with tuning.
    Not talking about stage pull. Talking about the right stage not being farther than the glove compartment.

6. Back To Top    #36

oh, i used the mini horns, cut back the kick plastic, and shoved the motor as close to the kick panel metal as i could. left width was always inside the pillar but right side was at the pillar.

7. Back To Top    #37

Quote Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
    Not talking about stage pull. Talking about the right stage not being farther than the glove compartment.
    I hear that's sort of "the thing" with horns - it's really impossible to get stage width past your A pillars. With your driver side seating position, it makes some sense that the left boundary could be your window, but your right boundary would be inside that...

I read that this year, too... Wish I could remember where and I'd link it.

I again haven't played with or heard horns, but I even wonder if it's a function of the horn lens shape?

Thinking about the sound direct path to your ear - basically, from the drivers seat, the driver's side HLCD has a straight line...
    But the passenger side "direct path" would be bent by the curved wall of the horn, following that...
    ...it's just a theory, and clearly that curve is created out of acoustic need, but I wonder if it unintentionally also impacts stage width?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

8. Back To Top    #38

Left early reflections are going to largely reflect off the door panel, not the driver’s side glass. Glass reflections are where you get a lot of the width cues.

same behavior on the right side.

9. Back To Top    #39

Well. My boss tried to kill us by throwing us into a wall at 120 mph in his 400hp Mini Cooper. Luckily, we weren't hurt. In other news. Got some more work done on the fiberglass enclosure. It looks like its going to be just under 2 cuft...which is quite a bit bigger than what i need for my 12" driver. However, With the thickness of the enclosure, Plus the Thinsulate im going to load into it and the thickness of the future front wall of the enclosure. Its going to be one giant acoustic blocker for wheel well noise. So that's really nice. Ill do some Winisd specs and see what all .75 cuft does to excursion and QTC. I may end up cutting the left side down by a few inches. Will make wrapping it around the back seat easier and would put me in the right CUFT area i need.

10. Back To Top    #40

Quote Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
    Well. My boss tried to kill us by throwing us into a wall at 120 mph in his 400hp Mini Cooper. Luckily, we weren't hurt. In other news. Got some more work done on the fiberglass enclosure. It looks like its going to be just under 2 cuft...which is quite a bit bigger than what i need for my 12" driver. However, With the thickness of the enclosure, Plus the Thinsulate im going to load into it and the thickness of the future front wall of the enclosure. Its going to be one giant acoustic blocker for wheel well noise. So that's really nice. Ill do some Winisd specs and see what all .75 cuft does to excursion and QTC. I may end up cutting the left side down by a few inches. Will make wrapping it around the back seat easier and would put me in the right CUFT area i need.

Yikes, hope everyone is ok...

Little off topic but do you know how your boss is obtaining 400HP with an r53 mini? Know anything about the build? Does it have a motor swap? Just curious, I'd love to pick his brain if it actually is outputting that... I own/operate a small Mini tuning/engine building business and 400HP has been nearly impossible... I got an r53 motor to 375hp once but it was nearly a $35K motor build with nothing left factory, I completely ditched the supercharger and went full e85 on a meth'd turbo... ended up not lasting very long. I have another build upcoming so if he is parting anything from that unfortunate situation I might be interested...