Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: From Camry to Scion. Here we go.

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: From Camry to Scion. Here we go.

I started off with this design but decided i wanted the exits of the horn to be more free on all 3 sides. So i switched to two pieces of wood and just let the metal grill be the binding part. Its a little wobbly but does the job. I inset the mounting bolts on the horn to be flush and then drilled 1/4in into the horn body and glued magnets into it/ wood piece. So it just snaps on and off with magnets, easy peasy.

As for the notch on the kick panels. I'll take off the cloth and do a layer or two fiberglass cloth so it covers the cut out part of the kick panel. I am just not going to bust out the FG material and until i have other FG projects to do at the same time.

2. Back To Top    #12

So whoever had this car before me... Well...They tried. This is what i started with. I have no idea what kind of CLD this is and from all the shoddy work around the car that i've found so far. I don't trust it to be a quality product. You can see some kind of stick on foam they put on the inner door metal for reasons unknown. (Picture 2)

All Cleaned up. I left the butyl vapor barrier stuff because well frankly..It was hard as shit to get off and ill be putting CLD ontop of it anyway so meh. Leave it. VVVV
    VVVV I really should have put CLD on the top layer and then started cleaning up the wiring but oh well. Lesson learned. Ill do it that way on the other door. I got CLD down on the back of the door.

I cleaned up some of the wiring. Cut out the Midbass/midrange/Tweeter wiring, which made the wiring harness like 50% smaller and alot easier to manage. All the wiring is getting covered/is covered in Tesa cloth tape to prevent vibrations. Every clip is getting a Tesa tape layer in front of and behind the mounting hole so that the clips don't vibrate. Some clips actually mount by putting pressure on the back of the metal hole its mounted on. Some of the clips were designed in such a way that i couldn't really prevent vibration so i just cut the damn thing off and drilled a secondary hole next to the main clip hole and ran a zip tie. Works really well.

Not even close to being done but im tired for tonight.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

That “stick on foam” in the second pic is duct insulation you get at Home Depot. A lot of uneducated people claim that stuff works as well as “Dynamat” for a fraction of the price. You can get a 1’x15’ roll for $15.

4. Back To Top    #14

Got some more work done on the doors today. Traced out both large door holes with painters thin plastic and transferred to 1/16th ABS sheets. I screwed one corner down and used a heat fun to get a mold. The final product was a lot more smooth and also didnt have the damn door mechanism going through it....Gf was distracting. The interior of the door is also full of Rockwool. i just used gorilla tape in hopes that itll stay on. Chances are it wont but ill check in a few weeks and see whats up. If it doesnt work. Ill bust out the magnets and chicken wire.

5. Back To Top    #15

On a side note. Gf was half helping, half playing animal crossing which made me realize...I could totally use a Switch as a source

6. Back To Top    #16

I did a full layer of MLV but later found that even with careful measuring. Most of it won't fit with the door. There's quite a few spots where the tolerances are too tight. So i ended up wasting a lot of mlv and only using maybe 1/4 of whats in that picture. Its mainly covering up one of the ABS sheets now. Now that i've done a few cars with MLV. I think the best way to do a door isn't in one big sheet but rather in 1 or 1.5ft sections and just tape them together with a good tape with no seam. The white stuff is a thinsulate 1.5in and .5in (600l and 200l)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200603_134250288.jpg 
Views:	1081 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	11578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200603_152140200.jpg 
Views:	926 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	11579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200603_154301940.jpg 
Views:	898 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	11580Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200603_160720221.jpg 
Views:	958 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	11581

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Martyn
    Vehicle
    None now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
    [FONT="]On a side note. Gf was half helping, half playing animal crossing which made me realize...I could totally use a Switch as a source [/FONT]
    [FONT="]
    [/FONT]

I can see whats coming now

On a better note, Like the fabrication work.

8. Back To Top    #18

Full tear down. Expanding foam in large nooks and crannies. Mlv with Thinsulate because of Justin Zazzis report on the best decoupler. Then a shitload of Rockwool.

Whats not pictures. Full covered of every single wire and connector with Tesa cloth tape, as well as all the mounting holes for clips and mounting holes for where panels fit into eachother. Not a rattle or plastic rubbing will be had.

9. Back To Top    #19

There's quite a lot of exhaust noise as the exhaust covers most of the back of the car. So i took out the spare(because i have AAA) and all the foam that surrounded the spare. In its place i built basically an acoustic trap. Its .5 mdf with mlv lining it and then Rockwool inside it. Does a pretty good job of cutting down on noise from behind.

10. Back To Top    #20

18 8.5