Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From Camry to Scion. Here we go.

1. Back To Top    #1

From Camry to Scion. Here we go.

Hey all. So the Camry finally let me down. I tore into that car so hard. Need speaker vents? Cut a hole? Want to try something crazy? Rip out half the interior? Acoustic foam on all surfaces? Sure why the hell not. It was my first real car. I loved it to death, but its time to move on. I always told everyone that i'd drive it till it left me on the side of the road and it did just that. Multiple times. So I got some funds together and got a new car. Here's my new baby. 6 speed manual 2011 Scion TC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200510_203944271.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	4.17 MB 
ID:	11057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200510_203951538.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	3.65 MB 
ID:	11058

Its a reconstructed/totaled title so i got it for a good deal. Unfortunately, that means its got its hiccups. So far the engine and body have been reliable but the work that was done elsewhere is shady as fuck. It was some random guy on the shitty side of town who did the work. Meh. First off. I had to get rid of those plastidip wheels and OH BOY OH BOY WAS THAT A FUCKINGGGGGGG ADVENTURE.

Name:	IMG_20200512_140957156.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	4.53 MB 
ID:	11059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200516_172348581.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	11060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200516_155246123.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	11061

Far far better imo.

Next up was a look through the car to see what other shady shit was done. Found this. That's the window cleaner sprayer on the carbon fiber hood. Pretty sure its gorilla glue all over it. So ill need to fix that. The back seat is missing a large link that connects it and there are random ass bolts all over the place. The seat still looks good and functions well. I've pulled a few panels and there are missing clips as well. Other than those things. Everything seems alright. Just some dumb bs to fix but nothing drastic.

Name:	IMG_20200517_193937936.jpg 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	11062
    The doors on this car is absolutely massive..and completely built for a SQ build. Just look at this, its like a third of the car!

Name:	IMG_20200510_194242929.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	11063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200516_190356230.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	11064

I may end up building some fully custom, ground up door panels for it at some point but for now. I'll roll with what i got.

Just a quick look through the car and the room i have available for stereo stuff. First pic(ignore circle) is of Gen1 version of this cars dash and what it looks like with all the useless crap tore out. From some reading, it looks like the 2nd gen(mine) is the sameish platform but a little bit wider. 2nd pic is my cars dash now. I'd be willing to bet that if i dug into the dash. i could find more than a enough room for a shallow mount subwoofer enclosure. 2nd picture is my current dash.

Name:	29472187744_b55f4a1f25_c.jpg 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	11065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200517_191412902.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	3.82 MB 
ID:	11066

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: From Camry to Scion. Here we go.

After I looked over the Scion. It was time to tear into the Camry and pull everything out. So here's a final farewell to that shitshow.

Name:	IMG_20200513_151659390.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	3.93 MB 
ID:	11068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200513_151536643.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	11067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200513_164552754.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	11069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200513_183019232.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	4.19 MB 
ID:	11070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200513_183850306.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	11071

3. Back To Top    #3

The collection. Minus all the massive power wire. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200513_164548294.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	11072

4. Back To Top    #4

I took off the back quarter panel and look at all this room! ...and horrible shit CLD that i get to tear off.

Name:	IMG_20200517_145217834.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	3.51 MB 
ID:	11073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200517_145322137.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	11074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200517_160238182.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	11075

I didn't get any pics of it but brake cleaner took all that brown stuff right off. Note, brake cleaner immediately melts the white silicone beads that manufacturers use in their cars.

I started to look for where i can put subwoofers as they are the biggest component in a system and generally you need to plan your system around their location. I have my two Fi ib3 15'' sitting around now. I looked around the vehicle on where i could possible use them. The back trunk area is completely flat. There isn't a spare tire "well" to speak of. That kind of sucks because tire wells make really easy to hide fiberglass enclosures for subs. I looked at cutting a hole where the spare tire is now and making an IB configuration but i ran into a bit of a problem...the exhaust pipe and muffler go down the vehicle and for WHATEVER reason, shoot directly underneath the hatch trunk. That metal piece you see in the middle. Thats the heatshield directly under the spare tire. So i couldn't vent a IB sub without most likely melting the damn cone. Fuck.

Name:	IMG_20200517_231356171.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	11076
    So what are my options? My thought is this. I could very easily built fiberglass enclosures into those quarter panels and put two shallow mount subs into them. Most likely a Sundown Sd3 in each panel. I might possibly do 1 in the back left. 1 in the back right, and 1 in the dash...but thats a lot of custom work and i am not really ready to cut into this car that much yet. I am going to take my time and make sure this car turns out as beautiful and clean as possible. Amp wise. I have my Wolfram 3k which is a monster and i don't have an alternator in this car to support that, plus two possibly 3 separate subs in different locations is going to kinda screw me on T/a situation. I have the dsp channels, just not the amp channels.

Thats all for now. I'll update as i get more into it.

5. Back To Top    #5

I've had great success building door enclosures for my mid-bass in my last two vehicles. THe boxes end up a smaller than ideal so I add aperiodic vents to them. They sound so much better than any door based mid woofer I've ever installed that its now my go to solution, and when I shop cars I make sure the door card/door design will support this. So seeing those big beautiful doors that's what I would do !

If you have the room it might be pretty easy to re-route the exhaus - of course that's easyfor me to say having all the equipment and experience to do so but really a stock system any old muffler shop could move it for you .... if there's room.
    You can't beat the true IB in the floor ! (well actually IB into a large sedan trunk is practically better just because you aren't thumping the whole outside of the car).

Ah, I envy you , us DIY'ers can only buy so many cars in our life, and we only get to build a whole new system once in a while. So don't screw it up by compromising LOL.

6. Back To Top    #6

I got the horns in today. Having put them in the Camry before, i understood the process of mounting them a lot easier. Just stick your head under the dash. Find factory mount points, see where you want the horn to sit and start fabricating and bending steel flat bar till its where you want it. Lots of vice/hammer and back n forth here.

I had to dremel down this piece so the steel flat bar would sit flat on the factory mounting location.

Thank god for this tool. I had to cut away some of the kick panel plastic so that the horn would fit which left a nice hole for mounting. Put in a threaded rivet and wala, mounting location.

Ill make some beauty panel tomorrow to hide it all. Will most likely wrap it in suede or something. Probably going to inset some magnets and make a quick and easy on/off cover.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Ben
    Vehicle
    2015 Ford Escape TI with sony

Looking good man.

See the sax is still going strong? Proof I can do a decent repair.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bnae38 View Post
    Looking good man.

See the sax is still going strong? Proof I can do a decent repair.
    haha yea. That thing will never die. i posted some pics of the old set up on FB groups and had like 4 ppl try and buy that amp off me. That 150.4 is a bullet proof.

9. Back To Top    #9

after running horns for years, i suggest using nylon lock nuts on the back side. using a jam nut doesn't work so hot.

i was able to texture-match mine to the dash with bedliner paint, then coat them in primer to match the color/luster of the dash (in my GTI anyway).

could hit them w/ some body filler and clean up the bodies a bit too.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    after running horns for years, i suggest using nylon lock nuts on the back side. using a jam nut doesn't work so hot.

i was able to texture-match mine to the dash with bedliner paint, then coat them in primer to match the color/luster of the dash (in my GTI anyway).

could hit them w/ some body filler and clean up the bodies a bit too.

Ill keep that in mind.