Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stevens Audio MB8 as mids for a 2way active

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Re: Stevens Audio MB8 as mids for a 2way active

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    So disappointing you don’t do hours research before responding to a post. Geez man, unacceptable. Lol. All good man. I’m usually the one that doesn’t keep up with related posts but I just happened to respond in the other thread before seeing his post here.
    I have an out. It's all the OP's fault. He should have recapped or linked to his other post.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

2. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    I have two options I am looking at. These will be dedicated midbasses in a 3-way system:

These are what I really feel are going to make this system kick azz. Dynaudio MW182 10" midbasses. I hope to buy these within the next 2 weeks

In the mean time a few folks here convinced me to try something a little less conventional. AudioFrog GS690 6x9's. I have these arriving today:

Both solutions will fit with custom cut spacer rings. The Frogs are a tad bit higher sensitivity. The Dyn's have a much larger cone area. It should be an interesting comparison.

Ge0
    Looks interesting, is this goal more of a SQ build or SPL? Where do you plan on installing the 10s? And will you have sub?

3. Back To Top    #13

I have an out. It's all the OP's fault. He should have recapped or linked to his other post.

Ge0
    Lol...I'm green as it gets man, from hearing you guys talk...idk exactly what SPL "officially" means. I've heard it 100x and have come to think it just means one is going for high output and loud lows. Where SQ is more accurate, clean and punchy.

It seems SPL can also mean going for highest numbers on the meter and competing for trophies and such... I'm not going for that.

Just want loud, clear, deep bass and loud clear front stage

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmil982 View Post
    Lol...I'm green as it gets man, from hearing you guys talk...idk exactly what SPL "officially" means. I've heard it 100x and have come to think it just means one is going for high output and loud lows. Where SQ is more accurate, clean and punchy.

It seems SPL can also mean going for highest numbers on the meter and competing for trophies and such... I'm not going for that.

Just want loud, clear, deep bass and loud clear front stage

OK. Here is a lesson for you. SPL vehicle:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Car-speaker.png 
Views:	195 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	10987Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssv5_pg54_img01.jpg 
Views:	1234 
Size:	256.1 KB 
ID:	10988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	van.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	10989

Sound Quality vehicles:
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...-Helix-ResoNix

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...nnect-SQ-build

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...atchback-Sport

They are really two different beasts. Most of us on this forum do love loud music. But, we are not out to set SPL records. We just like good clear and clean music that will get loud and un-distorted. We typically are not the guys who care if our vehicles can be heard from a mile away. We don't want to shatter our windshields due to heavy bass vibrations.

If you are going for a midbass attack in your front stage the the MB-8 is a great choice

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

5. Back To Top    #15

OK. Here is a lesson for you. SPL vehicle:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Car-speaker.png 
Views:	195 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	10987Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssv5_pg54_img01.jpg 
Views:	1234 
Size:	256.1 KB 
ID:	10988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	van.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	10989

Sound Quality vehicles:
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...-Helix-ResoNix

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...nnect-SQ-build

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...atchback-Sport

They are really two different beasts. Most of us on this forum do love loud music. But, we are not out to set SPL records. We just like good clear and clean music that will get loud and un-distorted. We typically are not the guys who care if our vehicles can be heard from a mile away. We don't want to shatter our windshields due to heavy bass vibrations.

If you are going for a midbass attack in your front stage the the MB-8 is a great choice

Ge0
    thanks for the info... yeah I'm not looking for to be heard three blocks away in traffic or shatter any records, not competing or interested in doing any tricks. But loud, low and clear is the goal.

How many total dbs would a single SA-12 on 1200w clean generally produce? Maybe that will help me match up proper speakers and classify what type of overall system I'm looking to build.

I also ask that because the sub and lows will be the 1st priority on which everything else will be built. After doing tons of research, a single SA12 in a 2cuft ported box, tuned to ~31Hz seems to be all the bass I'll need from what others have said about their experience and thats what I'll be installing and pushing it to the max.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

A single SA12 in a 2 cu ft box tuned low will slam on 1200 watts. I know because I had one exactly like that. That subwoofer is nearly indestructible too. If you need more bass than what the SA12 can provide then you are truly a bass head, lol. The guy I sold it too had a 3000 watt system and I let him demo it in my CX5 before he purchased it with AudioFrog GB15/GB60 and he was like “damn, this is only 1200 watts” and handed me the money, lol. Don’t try the SA12 sealed though because it sounds like shit. Ported it is ok but not the cleanest sub compared to say the SD3 or GB12.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

7. Back To Top    #17

I have the MB-6 and like them a lot. I would talk to Eric Stevens on Facebook about how well they do above 1khz. When I had mine running with my Wideband speakers, which previously I had crossed at 1khz (CDT ES-02 Pods). When I put in the MB-6's I ended up crossing them at 3500hz and loved the SQ coming from the MB-6. I much preferred the MB-6 covering the 2000-3000 range.
    I'd ask Eric Stevens about some of your questions. He is very responsive especially if you have really specific questions. I know that he has told me that they can go up to about 4khz before they have issues. Granted I was asking about the MB6's, but I know the MB-8s aren't far off.
    Like Geo said - for under $200 it can't hurt to try them out.
    I've been very pleased with mine.