Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stevens Audio MB8 as mids for a 2way active

1. Back To Top    #1

Stevens Audio MB8 as mids for a 2way active

I'm considering slapping the Steven's Audio MB8 in an sedan door with the right tweeter of course. This will be an SPL setup and I'm wondering if anyone has made these work 2way and how it sounded?

Any other feedback would be appreciated.

https://www.facebook.com/10225841351...5408394204672/

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Re: Stevens Audio MB8 as mids for a 2way active

I was considering using these in a 3 way system a month back but could not get them to fit. IMHO if your primary goal is SPL these should work fine in a two way system. They will play up into a typical tweeters freq range. They are definitely loud enough with a 96dB sensitivity.

Just don't expect perfect imaging. Off axis response will get sketchy beyond 1K.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not expecting perfect imaging,...just loud, clear music that doesn't sound bad. What did you end up going with for your setup?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmil982 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm not expecting perfect imaging,...just loud, clear music that doesn't sound bad. What did you end up going with for your setup?
    I have two options I am looking at. These will be dedicated midbasses in a 3-way system:

These are what I really feel are going to make this system kick azz. Dynaudio MW182 10" midbasses. I hope to buy these within the next 2 weeks

In the mean time a few folks here convinced me to try something a little less conventional. AudioFrog GS690 6x9's. I have these arriving today:

Both solutions will fit with custom cut spacer rings. The Frogs are a tad bit higher sensitivity. The Dyn's have a much larger cone area. It should be an interesting comparison.

Ge0

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmil982 View Post
    The Stevens MB-8 should be perfect for what you are looking for. They are cheap enough to buy that it is almost a no-brainer just to try out. If you don't like them you could easily re-sell them on these forums within a few days.

Do the 2ohm version if you can. You get a sensitivity of 101dB. They can hit over 125dB each within their safe operating limit

Ge0

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    The Stevens MB-8 should be perfect for what you are looking for. They are cheap enough to buy that it is almost a no-brainer just to try out. If you don't like them you could easily re-sell them on these forums within a few days.

Do the 2ohm version if you can. You get a sensitivity of 101dB. They can hit over 125dB each within their safe operating limit

Ge0
    I agree. The only issue you’ll have is a single 12” sub with normal excursion will not keep up with those output levels.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I agree. The only issue you’ll have is a single 12” sub with normal excursion will not keep up with those output levels.
    The OP said he was building an SPL system. I'm certain he is not targeting a single 12" sub

Ge0

8. Back To Top    #8

The OP said he was building an SPL system. I'm certain he is not targeting a single 12" sub

Ge0
    From his other post in the Ask an Acoustic Engineer thread, he mentioned a single Sundown SA-12 sub. So thanks for agreeing with me that the single sub won't keep up.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    From his other post in the Ask an Acoustic Engineer thread, he mentioned a single Sundown SA-12 sub. So thanks for agreeing with me that the single sub won't keep up.
    Oh. OK. I'm man enough to say I was wrong. I stand corrected.

Ge0

10. Back To Top    #10

Oh. OK. I'm man enough to say I was wrong. I stand corrected.

Ge0
    So disappointing you don’t do hours research before responding to a post. Geez man, unacceptable. Lol. All good man. I’m usually the one that doesn’t keep up with related posts but I just happened to respond in the other thread before seeing his post here.