Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin Zazzi's tuning companion for room eq wizard

1. Back To Top    #31

Re: Justin Zazzi's tuning companion for room eq wizard

So when tuning in an open air environment Convertible, jeep, motorcycle etc are the LR4 alignment still ideal? Without all the reflections I ponder this.... Are there any other considerations I should be thinking about ?

And is it possible setting TA of the rear speakers in this instance to get a more complete sound at your ear? Obviously this isn't SQ related question per say.... But my overall listening enjoyment in a sort of SQL system where the rear speakers actually make a difference.

My Jeep had a passive 3 way setup with sub.... My motorcycle will have an active 3way plus center channel wideband..... Possibly a sub or PA midbass style

2. Back To Top    #32
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Yes, they are still ideal for phase purposes.

The beautiful thing about lack of reflections (there are still A lot) is that you get less comb filtering.

Also, you should get the harley rockford setup...I heard that was tuned by someone really good and really into car audio....maybe even enough to make a helpful spreadsheet or sitting on a harley in their profile picture on this site

Open air will also have issues with cancellation when driving due to environment, so road noise will impact stuff more and drown things out. Ideal if you can compensate for this some way...like the rockford harley stuff does.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #33

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Yes, they are still ideal for phase purposes.

The beautiful thing about lack of reflections (there are still A lot) is that you get less comb filtering.

Also, you should get the harley rockford setup...I heard that was tuned by someone really good and really into car audio....maybe even enough to make a helpful spreadsheet or sitting on a harley in their profile picture on this site

Open air will also have issues with cancellation when driving due to environment, so road noise will impact stuff more and drown things out. Ideal if you can compensate for this some way...like the rockford harley stuff does.
    Well its a F6B Goldwing I have the JBL DSP4086 for tuning and JBL BR-A 400.4(Brazilian) and Banda Black 400.4 I was running and old class AB JBL 504ez I had laying about and it sounded amazing without any tuning but I don't think it will stay cool enough in the saddlebag....
    Using old Kappa 50.9 and 60.9 Components. Looking at using the CDT Unity widebands on the dash and some 3.5" in the pocket...

4. Back To Top    #34
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Tuning open air vehicles is a challenge. What sounds good engine-off to demo for friends will sound different from engine-on around town, and really different from driving at speed like on the highway or trail. It's a hard compromise to optimize all situations at the same time so I've seen people usually optimize more for one driving condition vs the others.

It's a bummer your bike isn't compatible with the system that jdunkl54 keeps hinting at because it's kinda awesome
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

5. Back To Top    #35

Yea I'm sure it is.. ... Or why would you have worked on it!!! LoL. It honestly surprises me that with as many Goldwings are on the roads there isn't ANYTHING thats plug and play easy(Kustom Wingz/Evil Wingz does make some one off stuff tho)... But no harnesses, larger front speaker adapters, hell I can't even get the rear speaker harness without going through Mother Honda....I wrote several companies about working up a harness years ago for the DSR1 and wings and basically just got a canned response of thanks we will take that under advisement. Oh well... Ill say this about the HD guys...they are far more likely to cut and splice then most of the wingers.....

Feel free to message me any tips you think may be pertinent lol. I certainly appreciate the Spreadsheet and your other contributions!!

6. Back To Top    #36

Hi All, ive been following this from over on DIYMA.

there are a few things i dont understand yet, but i'll start with this one:

When you use the tool to set your house curve and then create the driver curves, you enter in crossover points and slopes into the tool. then you take measurements in REW with all crossovers switched off, except for tweeter. then REW should tell you how to EQ it (i'm using minidsp, so maybe REW with give me biquads for Minidsp? perhaps thats another question) does the resulting EQing include the crossovers too? or do i do the parametric EQ stuff, then go into the crossover section in the DSP and switch on the filters/crossovers to match that set in Zazzis tool at the beginning?

Does that make sense?

Thanks

7. Back To Top    #37
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I don't think REW sets crossovers automatically for the minidsp, I could be wrong.

Ultimately the crossover is just another parametric EQ filter. Use it just like you do parametric eq filters to hit the acoustical target of each driver (what the RTA shows when measured at your listening position).
    Normally my order is

1) Set time alignment data, if using a mono sub channel out of dsp or linked channels, adjust sub 6db down in dsp (that way when both your door woofers are playing, sub will match their level). If using seperate L and R sub channels, make sure to turn the left off when measuring right and right off when measuring left sub out.

2) Measure speakers raw response using moving mic method (MMM) and pink periodic noise without any EQ (Set appropriate safe crossovers so you don't blow smaller speakers). Include a sweep of each driver to get distortion profile.

3) Set crossovers to what they need to be to match acoustic response (this could be 6db, 12db, 18db, 24db, 36db slopes / octave and butterwoth, linkwitz, etc types). I try to really use this to match as much to my target curve as possible.

4) Finish matching to the target curve with parametric eq.

5) Measure again with MMM and pink periodic noise (including a sweep of each driver to measure distortion to compare to before eq, that way you can really tell if you boosted something that shouldn't be) and see how you did and adjust accordingly.

6) Then go into measuring pairs of speakers.

7) Go to band limited pink noise and listen to see if everything is centered, I suggest 10 minute max for this part. Your ears will start to not work properly after about that amount of time.

There is a good discussion on this stuff here: https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...tic-Crossovers
    and here: https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...stic+crossover
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

8. Back To Top    #38

Good info, thanks

So the crossover points you set in jazzis tool that create the targets aren't necessarily the crossover points you will end up with. Cool. I'll check out those threads.

Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #39
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by champ222 View Post
    Good info, thanks

So the crossover points you set in jazzis tool that create the targets aren't necessarily the crossover points you will end up with. Cool. I'll check out those threads.

Thanks.
    The ones you set in Justin's spreadsheet are the acoustical crossovers, the electrical settings in the DSP only matter in that you hit those acoustical.

10. Back To Top    #40
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Hi TheLexus, I assume you found an answer to your question? I see you removed your question here.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.