Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin Zazzi's tuning companion for room eq wizard

1. Back To Top    #21
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: Justin Zazzi's tuning companion for room eq wizard

Hah, you're welcome. Glad you could find it afterall.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

2. Back To Top    #22

thanks for this brother. i have a 3 way system in my car with 8's in the doors (no subs sadly) where i could use a good tuning.

3. Back To Top    #23

First up, Great job on building this tool
    Just a quick question
    Am trying to tune my car audio system using REW
    Am a bit stumped here with which house curve I should be matching for a LR4 crossover for my 3" mid with a 300 to 4000 hz bandpass
    I have been using, Jazzis tuning companion for REW to generate a set of Half Whit housecurves with LR4 slopes (pic 1)
    If I then import the generated house curve for the mid range driver into the REW EQ panel, I get the target graph below (pic 2)
    It is should be a 24db 4th order slope, but it looks like its dropping at 17 db per octave??

If I turn off the housecurve and use the REW target line for a speaker driver 300-4000 hz with LR4 slope, I get the target graph below (pic 3)
    It should be a 24db 4th order slope, but looks like its dropping 35db per octave

What am I doing wrong here?
    Which target curve should I be using for a LR4 slope?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	15093Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	306 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	15095Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.png 
Views:	285 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	15094

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

If you use the individual driver curve from the spreadsheet you have to set the speaker type to none in REW.
    Just compare this to the curve you get from the overall curve set to speaker driver with 24db and same corner frequencies. It should match then.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

5. Back To Top    #25

Quote Originally Posted by Cathul View Post
    If you use the individual driver curve from the spreadsheet you have to set the speaker type to none in REW.
    Just compare this to the curve you get from the overall curve set to speaker driver with 24db and same corner frequencies. It should match then.
    Is it "none" or "full range". If you don't select full range it's doubling up the filters. Try it full range and the curve should match.

6. Back To Top    #26

Thank you! I'm glad you like the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    It is should be a 24db 4th order slope, but it looks like its dropping at 17 db per octave??
    Remember the curves my tool creates are the combination of the crossover and also the house curve. The curve you're expecting to see (24dB/octave) is not what you will end up with because it is being modified by the gentle downward slant of the "half of Whitledge" curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    If I turn off the housecurve and use the REW target line for a speaker driver 300-4000 hz with LR4 slope, I get the target graph below (pic 3)
    It should be a 24db 4th order slope, but looks like its dropping 35db per octave
    Yeah that doesn't look right. Maybe the house curve is not disabled like you think it is? It looks like the combination of my tool's target curve on top of the LR4 that REW is adding to it like Cathul and DaveG mention.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Is it "none" or "full range". If you don't select full range it's doubling up the filters. Try it full range and the curve should match.
    It's none...

See the screenshots. First shot is with the overall curve and speaker settings.
    Second shot is with the individual curve and speaker set to "none".
    Both match, first one when set to the individual settings (70hp and 2300 lp LR24db) and 2nd one when set to none. I have raised the by 5db to make it more visible. If you lower the target level by that 5db the current and predicted curve perfectly match in each screenshot.

Name:	rew_eq_settings.JPG 
Views:	370 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	15108

Name:	rew_eq_settings_individual_driver_curve.JPG 
Views:	275 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	15109
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

8. Back To Top    #28

Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick response. Speaker type is set to none in REW (see pic 2 above). But as you point out, if a house curve is loaded in REW and a speaker type is also selected in REW, the target is a combination of both (as Justin points out above). I removed the housecurve in REW and the target curve was perfect.... such a simple mistake... Really appreciate your help guys... was driving me nuts

9. Back To Top    #29
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Man this is such a great tool and when i finally understood the concept that "...shape is king..." - Justin Zazzi, it really made understanding that the electrical Xover type and slope is only the tools to get us to the needed actual Acoustical Xover shape. the Zazzi curve has been the hardest for me to come close too achieving, but it also sounds better to me than the "JBL/Andy" or ATF's house curve, I think the Zazzi curve is way under rated...

Okay enough nut hugging lol

10. Back To Top    #30

I love you too!
    Do it for them.