Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin Zazzi's tuning companion for room eq wizard

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Justin Zazzi's tuning companion for room eq wizard

Shoot. Teaching online and a data collection and graphing day...not a whole lot for me to do but stare at initials on a screen wondering if the students are actually there or not...(I do at least get to see their work being done in real time, but the ones that aren’t doing anything make me wonder).
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

2. Back To Top    #12

I think the wire gauge worksheet is useful. I've always found that graph to be useful (you can find a similar one through Crutchfield or a variety of websites).

One problem I can see is that different Class D amplifiers have different efficiency ratings. Usually they are close (75% vs 83%). But added confusion can happen with the class AD amplifiers. It might help to have an added option to input the advertised efficiency rating ... but then again ... would it be better to just round down for safety sake to the lower number?

For the voltage drop ... I think that some people will measure this and will know ~ what their voltage drop is, but it might be helpful to have a "recommended" or average voltage drop list. It may be best to have some sort of a default, that errors on the side of caution. Sometimes its good to have a short sentence or paragraph that explains the default so that the average joe doesn't change the default.

I personally have found myself on the borderline of 4 vs 8 gauge wiring. Sometimes I think that a little disclaimer is necessary that can explain the grey area. Its easy to engage in selective listening and read the chart and then look in your toolbox and draw a conclusion that is more in line with what you have in stock. When in a gray area, personally I like having a push towards black or white.

I have found that amplifier wiring calculators are somewhat common. RF has one, Kicker has one, Crutchfield has one, Sonic has one, etc. I think that this is an important tool for you to hone, but also I feel that a similar and less available tool is speaker wire gauge selection. There is a website (http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm) that has a sometimes-great speaker wire calculator. One issue is that it only works on certain browsers (for me, Mozilla but not chrome). The second issue, is that after trying to find the sweet spot for what the extremes are for 10 gauge vs 12 gauge @ 1 ohm ... the calculator is broken. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. To me, this is a tool that can be improved upon. The calculators algorithms aren't perfect, nor are they consistent. I've tried to find the "breaking point" of how-many-watts@how-many-ohms, and depending on how I input it, I get different results.

I think sometimes its clear and easy to find a calculator to see what gauge wire our amplifier should need, but it isn't so clear that the same speaker wire that is ok for 100 watts, isn't OK for 300 watts (This was my realization when finding out what gauge wire was acceptable for my Stevens Audio MB-6 Mid-bass that can take oooooooodles of watts ... I'd rather only feed my speaker wire through my door boots once). But also, its handy to know what gauge wire is appropriate for most subwoofers, but at what point that wire isn't up to snuff. This can be useful because I was recommended 16 gauge wire for car speakers ... but had I picked up a 100' roll of 14 gauge I would have been able to wire my mid-bass speakers (with as many watts as they would ever want, regardless of ohms or future amplifiers), as well as my subwoofers.

5 paragraphs later ... One worksheet for speaker wire and amplifier wire seems like it would become a default search. A one stop shop.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle
    2021 Camaro 2SS

Thanks for all the hard work on this Justin.
    I'm trying to understand the Crossover tab better but am somewhat confused...
    I'm building a 2 way front with a midbass (GS690) and a wideband (GS25). When I enter the driver data in the Crossover tab, it recommends 100Hz HP for the midbass (GS690) and 200Hz HP for the wideband (GS25) The excursion plot is well below xmax for both.
    This seems kind of weird so I'm thinking I am missing something. Are these intended to be the MIN HP or absolute HP that I should enter into the 2-way curve fields?

4. Back To Top    #14

You may want to edit the read me.txt to point to this thread rather than DIYMA. It would be unfortunate if someone went looking for help and accidentally fell into that dumpster fire.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

That's a helluva first post lol! Welcome here!

I'll add it to the fantastic list of feedback from dirtybumoak up above. Thank you for pointing that out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	1488 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	14104
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swrocket View Post
    Thanks for all the hard work on this Justin.
    I'm trying to understand the Crossover tab better but am somewhat confused...
    I'm building a 2 way front with a midbass (GS690) and a wideband (GS25). When I enter the driver data in the Crossover tab, it recommends 100Hz HP for the midbass (GS690) and 200Hz HP for the wideband (GS25) The excursion plot is well below xmax for both.
    This seems kind of weird so I'm thinking I am missing something. Are these intended to be the MIN HP or absolute HP that I should enter into the 2-way curve fields?
    Sorry I didn't see your question earlier!

These are supposed to be good frequencies to try if you have no other guidance to work with. I would consider them the minimum high-pass frequency for what you want to do, based on the numbers you type into the boxes. Yes the excursion should be be lower than the red Xmax line but that is the point, trying to keep you within the limits that you define. You can experiment by raising the Xmax value to something big like 100 and then play with the other numbers, hit the calculate button a few times, and see how it all changes.

Also remember this tool is a rough estimate based on some textbook "ideal" math. It doesn't work out like this in real life and the excursion is usually lower than my tool predicts so it might be considered a conservative tool for what it does (which is better than underestimating and giving you false sense of security).
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

7. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    That's a helluva first post lol! Welcome here!

I'll add it to the fantastic list of feedback from dirtybumoak up above. Thank you for pointing that out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	1488 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	14104
    Well, I wandered here from the aforementioned dumpster fire a while ago, just haven't had much to say yet.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    2021 Camaro 2SS

Thanks Justin. I'll play around a bit.

9. Back To Top    #19

Good to see you here Justin. Seems lot of people have moved away from DIYMA now. Hope the community grows in a healthy manner

10. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    Version 5.7 is now available.

---> download version 5.7 from my dropbox right here <---

Updates:
    -Addressed the error where more variables were not defined in the Crossover Frequency worksheet.

Thanks