Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin Zazzi's tuning companion for room eq wizard

1. Back To Top    #1
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Post Justin Zazzi's tuning companion for room eq wizard

This thread was originally on DIYMA and I am moving my support to here.

Note: See the link in my signature to download the latest version of this tool.

This spreadsheet has been a lot of fun to make! My goal is to take as much guesswork out of the tuning and installation process as possible. With this tool, you can calculate a safe high-pass crossover point for your midbass and midrange speakers, then plug those numbers into the next sheet where you choose what frequency response curve you want your overall system to have, and the tool will generate a set of custom house curve files tailored for each of your speakers. Import those directly into Room EQ Wizard and use the EQ module to find the filters for your DSP.

If you use the next sheet to calculate time delay settings for all of your speakers, and you get them to match the house curves exported from earlier, then your tuning is mostly done! I recommend spending some more time with 31-band pink noise tracks to get the center image perfectly centered, and you can download some ones I made from my dropbox at this link:

-----> 31-band pink noise tracks <-----

A bonus feature I included is an interactive chart to help you choose which size power wire and fuse for your amplifiers. The sheet will take into account the efficiency of your amplifier (effecting how much power it will need to be supplied with) as well as the condition of your car (engine on or off) and you can choose how much of a voltage drop is acceptable to you. Lastly, measure about how long the power wire needs to be and then you will see which size wire and fuse you will need. A ton of research went into this particular sheet, and I'm looking forward to everyone's feedback.

There is an included read-me with instructions for each section with some hints and cautions.

Like I mention in the included read-me, please let me know if this is useful for you and if you would like me to build more features into this spreadsheet.

Here are some screenshots:

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Justin Zazzi's tuning companion for room eq wizard

Version 5.7 is now available.

---> download version 5.7 from my dropbox right here <---

Updates:
    -Addressed the error where more variables were not defined in the Crossover Frequency worksheet.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for bringing this over Justin. I got confounded trying to setup the curves and x-overs in REW, it was much easier to import and tune to the curves I made in your spreadsheet.

Where I really struggled was with which curve to use, I found i needed to carry my "bass" rolloff all the way to 1k, ie the Audiofrog curve sounded horrible to me, but some of the whitledge curves were a bit much. With more time and effort I'd like to individually tune to multiple cuves and then a/b test them, but even dialing in one tune is kind of exhausting, and so many times I A/B test and think "yeah that sounds good, and the other one sounds good, but does one really sound better than the other ?"

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah that's a tough thing. The best situation is when you have some global filters to play with then you can tune the system dead flat which takes a while, then use the global filters to more quickly dial in your overall house curve. I know that's not always an option for some processors though.

My radio has a pretty good equalizer on it so I've been using it as a global filter to fiddle with my overall response. It is very convenient too since I can adjust it anytime without a laptop or a phone app or whatever. Once in a while I'll take the small edits I've done on the radio and fold them into the dsp and reset the filters on the radio so I can continue experimenting.
    Do it for them.

5. Back To Top    #5

Jazzi - I have been working with your Tuning companion and the Whitledge curves for a number of months with some difficulty.

I finally realized by using REW to measure the imported house curves that the slopes and crossover points created by your tuning guide don't actually reflect the crossover type selected in the guide. I'm wondering if it's just the nature of the house curve itself sloping downwards that changes the actual crossover slopes, or if it's something else I missed.

When I imported one of the curves into REW as a regular measurement, then went into the EQ window (with no house curve loaded in preferences), I could manipulate the default flat REW house curve target to match the imported Whitledge curve, and the results were usually something like a Bessel 36db/oct or a LWR 12db/oct, or something else entirely. The midrange curve was the one most frequently mixed, with the high pass usually being a 24db/oct LWR, and the low pass being something closer to a 12db/oct. The tweeter curve always matched up to 24db/oct. the Midbass curve high pass is always much steeper than 24db/oct. Is this something you already realized when creating this?

Anyway, this realization helped me reach the target successfully. It's a great tool! I thank you for creating it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, that sounds right, working as intended. The flavor curve (whitledge, Andy, jazzi, etc) will change how it looks just like you describe. Nice job learning how it works!
    Do it for them.

7. Back To Top    #7

Separately, I would enjoy some feedback on wire gauge and fuse worksheet. I'm curious if it is useful or if it is easy to use or if it's just a messy confusion or what.
    Do it for them.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I feel like this should be stickied to the top....I was trying to find it the other day and couldn’t.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Gosh I love this forum...mention that something should be sticky and within an hour it is....
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Enough sucking up...get back to work!