Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your minimum SPL requirement?

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: What is your minimum SPL requirement?

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Personally, I don't "target" and sort of SPL level. My system gets louder than I ever need it - and I like loud music - with only 75W RMS x 6! :-)

I'm more concerned with measuring the sound quality - not the sound quantity...
    You know, Bose systems sound spectacular at 75 db, but turn to total crap at anything higher, if they will even go higher.

2. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
    To me, the whole point of audio is faithful reproduction of live music. That means concert level volume. (and a bass knob for when I wanna get stupid )
    Amen!

3. Back To Top    #13

I haven't really measured the front stage, but I do know that 150 db on subs is just about all I need. I quite like the tactile sensations from that level, and much more than that is too painful to my ears.

4. Back To Top    #14

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    As the title says, what's your minimum when building a personal non-competitive daily listening system?

I know we all will take whatever extra we get as a bonus. In my case, I tend to listen at very moderate volumes. The level I bump to when driving solo and feeling a good song might be laughably low to many on here. In fact, I only go full tilt just out of curiosity when its first tuned and usually never again.

I will measure mine when I finish my build; however, I'm curious about others. Where is your base line?
    116dB including sub frequency boost. That is all you need unless you wear hearing aids. This will rattle your teeth and make you grease your shorts if exposed to for too long.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    You know, Bose systems sound spectacular at 75 db, but turn to total crap at anything higher, if they will even go higher.
    My Bose stock system will hit 109dB and still sound decent. Buy, I still want to banish it just because its Bose.

Ge0

7. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    My Bose stock system will hit 109dB and still sound decent. Buy, I still want to banish it just because its Bose.

Ge0
    I agree, rip it out, sell it to a Bose-head for $10,000.

8. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
    To me, the whole point of audio is faithful reproduction of live music. That means concert level volume. (and a bass knob for when I wanna get stupid )
    A lot of concerts I went to my ears would still be ringing the next day...

So I am not sure a bass knob to increase stupidity is needed all that much. But more bass at a lower dB(A) volume also makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Loud enough for me to enjoy but my ears not to hurt. When I have used my phone Sound Meter app in z weighted mode, that is usually somewhere around the mid 90's when I am by myself.
    Yeah that is pretty common.
    in the Mrs car I am usually ~90-92 dB(A).
    (The house system can be louder as the system sound quiet with less distortion.)

I am not sure how much a certain dB(A) number equates to in dB(C) with a sub, but that is also bass knob dependent. Older concerts did not have a lot of dB(C) compared to the SPL in dB(A)... (I think?)
    Last edited by Holmz; 05-15-2020 at 10:17 PM.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

I went to see the Ministry's final tour with the Revolting Cocks back in 2010 in a smaller venue in Detroit. The SPL was so freaking high my ears still ring to this day. I remember the bass being so intense that it hindered your breathing. The guitars and vocals were ear piercing even with ear buds. It was to the point to where I was in pain and didn't enjoy it (which is sad). I've been to nearly a hundred concerts and have never felt this way. I'm going to say this was about 115dB full range.

But, then I've been in clubs with booming bass approaching 130dB. It was an annoyance if you wanted to talk but by no means painful. Why is that? Does it have to do with the frequency your ear drums vibrate at given a specific amount on sound energy?

Ge0

10. Back To Top    #20
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
    in the Mrs car I am usually ~90-92 dB(A).
    (The house system can be louder as the system sound quiet with less distortion.)
    I was wondering if anyone else uses dBA.
    I'm really happy jamming at 85-90dBA in the car. More than that and I can only enjoy a song or two.
    (using a handheld type II meter)
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.