2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

Re: Need help deciding on amplifer setup

No splicing....plug and play!

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    2017 Ford F150 XLT Sport

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
    For $150, from what everyone swears by it is a worth while investment. I too have just been introduced into it and am going to make way for one for me. I'm also going to get the blue tooth dongle for $28 I think it is. Also seems to be worth it because you can set it up on a pc if wanted then have the settings on your phone and tweak once the base line is set. I found the owners manual online and the st up seems to be not too difficult, but I've never don't this before so I know there will be a decent learning curve. There are several youtube videos on it and at first I was a little overwhelmed but after reading the set up guide it made more sense. You're going to have to look at individual subs for that mounting depth and see what you find. The Image Dynamics will work I believe, but going the way of shallow mount narrows your choices for 10's and 12's, they're more of the 8". The JL audio 10w0v3-4 will work JL 10tw1-2, Diamond Audio DES104 to name a few. If you go with a regualr box the world's a stage.
    Yeah, it isn't a bad price at all. It's certainly on my short list of options to add to the system.

So I did a bit of looking around, it looks like the ID 10 would fit in the underseat enclosures I'd been considering, even though those seats won't be there. It also looks like a Dayton HO 10" will fit as well, though I keep seeing conflicting info if they perform better in a sealed or ported enclosure. Think I saw on diyma that they perform really well in a pretty small ported enclosure (~.73ft^3 if I remember correctly) but I can't remember what they recommended for the frequency to tune it to...got it somewhere on my open windows on my phone's browser lol. Gotta do some more reading about ported enclosures being I hadn't considered them at all before to figure out what kind of size I'd be looking at including port area.

Those two are probably on the short list of subs I'm looking at right now, with all the recommendations for the Dayton having me leaning that way right now. An unintended plus with the lower price of either of those subs compared to the SD4's, I think it'd be worthwhile to just get a Dayton DSP while I'm at it.

Thanks for the help everyone, always open to other suggestions for the subs or amplifiers.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

To run active, you will need a dsp or hu with the capability

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    2017 Ford F150 XLT Sport

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
    To run active, you will need a dsp or hu with the capability
    Ah, I was referring to using the electric crossovers on the Helix M Four to set up an "active" system for the tweeter and woofer channels. Not complete control over everything like with a DSP.

Though like I said above, especially if I end up going with something like the ID or Dayton HO subs, that frees up enough to at least buy the DSP. I probably could learn how to set it up myself, I'd just have to do a lot of reading on how it all works and spend the time to understand what everything means. Got a few audio shops near by that I've seen recommended before if all else fails.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

I would go with the ID's over the Dayton's. Not knocking them, just that car audio is what they're made for kind of thing, I've got no knowledge of them except from what I've learned here. I just have first hand experience with the ID's and I know what they do for me that's all.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    2000 Honda Insight

The Dayton Reference HO is definitely not the best SQ sub as they designed it for small box with higher power handling. If you compare to the Reference HF in the proper enclosure, the HF walks all over it when it comes to getting to those lower frequencies. I had a 15" HF in 5 cubes sealed. It sounded amazing for SQ. Hell, it sounded amazing for SPL, right until it didn't. Those things are easy to kill because they mask clipping very well. lol.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

There you go, answered.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    2017 Ford F150 XLT Sport

Quote Originally Posted by NoDestiny View Post
    The Dayton Reference HO is definitely not the best SQ sub as they designed it for small box with higher power handling. If you compare to the Reference HF in the proper enclosure, the HF walks all over it when it comes to getting to those lower frequencies. I had a 15" HF in 5 cubes sealed. It sounded amazing for SQ. Hell, it sounded amazing for SPL, right until it didn't. Those things are easy to kill because they mask clipping very well. lol.
    Yeah, I do know the HF is considered better for SQ, but don't they require significantly larger boxes compared to the HO? I mean I get the 15" would need a large enclosure, but I think even the 10's want a couple cubic feet at least as well. There's a lot of options if I go that big with the box, but it is primarily a work truck so I need to keep the box smaller. I am thinking of building a custom box at this point and changing up what my plans were to begin with, so the IDQ's are probably going to work just fine for me now. Thanks for all the suggestions!

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

Sure, let's see some pics as it's going along.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Don’t put too much faith into thinking different amplifiers will make significant differences in sound. Yes there are differences, but they pale in comparison to everything else that matters more, like tuning and installation. The Pioneer digital series are really good sounding amplifiers for the money and even for twice what they cost MSRP probably because Pioneer has the experience and engineering resources to make an amplifier design that is very good.

The start-stop compatible thing though I can’t speak for. That is something that might make the HELIX line of amplifiers worth the extra expense maybe, if it is really an issue?
    Last edited by JCsAudio; 05-20-2020 at 07:43 PM.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901