Nick

How-To: Verify Phase Cohesion Through A Crossover

Another quick video. Enjoy

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How-To: Verify Phase Cohesion Through A Crossover

Very helpful... Thanks for making this

3. Back To Top    #3

Stupid question.... Lets say that you have a phase-induced dip (whether at the crossover or elsewhere). Is there a difference between fixing the issue with an allpass filter vs fixing the issue with EQ (assuming the end result is the same in terms of freq response)?

I'm still trying to understand and learn how to utilize allpass filters properly.

If a processor didn't have the ability to use allpass filters, is addressing the issue via EQ "appropriate"?

Also - how to decide when to use a first order or secord order allpass filter?

Thank you!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

If it is a phase induced dip, then using EQ to boost it can be bad for the speaker and won't work very well anyway. The speakers are still playing those notes loud, they just get cancelled out by the other speaker. So boosting it, is just going to cause it to continue to get cancelled out and now you are pushing that speaker even harder for those notes.

This is all assuming that the individual speaker EQ is actually done well, and knowing what your speakers measure in REW from your posts, that shouldn't be your issue. If your individual speaker EQ is off then yes, that could cause phase issues and EQ could fix those.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #5

In my case, if I EQ the individual speakers to my custom curve perfectly (and they match each other very well), then I've found that I get a few dips when playing them in pairs (really not sure if it is a phase issue, a reflection issue or both). I've just been EQ"ing those few dips (they respond well to EQ) in order to make the L+R speaker pair response match the curve correctly (so I worry more about the speaker pairs matching my curve than the individual speakers)..

I'll have to try using an allpass filter on the dips and see if that resolves them or not - would be nice if an allpass filter solves the dips without needing any EQ boost at all. Haven't really messed with allpass filters yet, so at the very least, it will be a learning experience. :-)

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Great video Skiz, Peter plugs you a couple of times in his newest video.
    Two of the best, giving us free knowledge. Thank you!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Another quick video. Enjoy
    I've been wanting to make a video like this for ages. This is exactly what I've been jumping up and down about for years. Bravo man, very well done. Thank you for fighting the good fight.

I didn't think about using the overall target curve and then using the EQ module in REW to set the crossover points. That's pretty clever and avoids loading and reloading the target curves for each driver. I might have to adjust the instructions on the tuning companion spreadsheet.

I moved the tool over here to continue supporting it.
    Now you all can have the "half-whitledge" target curve too!

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...0209#post60209
    Last edited by Justin Zazzi; 05-15-2020 at 01:43 AM.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

As i changed my radio a few days ago (byebye SYNC3, hello Kenwood via Maestro RR) i redid my tune.
    Did as you showed in your video (LR24 slopes and all) and then when playing left speakers together (and afterwards exactly the same for the right side speakers) i realized i had perfect dips in the xover. Switched phase on midbass by 180°, bam, perfect summation.
    So either my speakers are wired incorrectly or my measurements for distance are way off, but all in such a way off, that it perfectly fits a 180° phase switch.

Question now is: should i just let the midbass flipped by 180° or switch them back to 0° and add some more delay to both tweeters first, followed by mids+tweets together to the sub?
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

When you say 24db slopes and all, is that electrical (dsp settings) or acoustical (measured via rta)?
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    When you say 24db slopes and all, is that electrical (dsp settings) or acoustical (measured via rta)?
    Electrical and measured...
    And verified against the EQ function in REW with the appropriate settings (24db et. al.).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	measurements.JPG 
Views:	345 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	10967
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)