Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 2001 Lexus LS430 Daily...

1. Back To Top    #1

Smile My 2001 Lexus LS430 Daily...

I nearly forgot I had a membership on this forum it's been so long! LOL

A little update...

The Nissan 370Z that I had since new for a few years has been sold, and all of the audio equipment went with it. The Lexus LS430 is now my daily and I'm finally getting around to doing something with the system. I'm going in this Friday to Five Star Car Stereo (again - Took the Z there a couple years back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7lY7hd2kf8 ) for a head unit and installation.

I'm going with a Kenwood, but a discontinued model, though it is still BNIB. It's one that they have in stock, and with the cost of the unit and install, I couldn't pass it up. It has and does everything I need it to do, so I don't care that it's a couple year old model. It's the Kenwood eXcelon DDX795. It accommodates front and rear cameras, so I'll do that as well, though I never mentioned that to them on the phone when I made the appointment, so will probably have to do that on a different day.

As for the rest of the system, everything is still up in the air. I'm not 100% sure on what gear and what direction I'm going in. All I know is that it's going to be like all of my other systems, designed for SQ and as stealth as possible.

The only issue I'm going to run into is figuring out what to do for the front tweeters. The stock front tweeters are mounted in the dash which can not be uninstalled from the top. From what everyone says, the entire dash needs to be ripped out of the car to get to them. That's just utterly ridiculous, and I'm pretty certain I don't want the tweeters blasting into the windshield anyway, so there's that. Not to mention that the stock tweeter grills are oval. Keeping with the stealth theme, I'm really at a loss on what to do. As much as I don't want to, I might have to have them custom mounted into the A-pillars. They have a velvety type of material on them, so that would have to be sourced to recover them, and light tan grill cloth over the tweeters. Ugg...

I still have my Helix DSP.2 that I only used for almost a month in the Nissan, so that will be going into this system. From what I've been looking at, power requirements and size concerns, I will most likely be using a couple of Rockford amps, a 5-ch and a 2-ch as I will still be using the rear door speakers for when I have my family in the car. The rest of the time, they will be off. I'll be going with Stereo Integrity mids and tweets again up front and who knows what in the rear doors. Probably just whatever Five Star has for cheap since those don't really matter as far as sound quality is concerned.

As for bass duty, I had planned on going big or going home, meaning a pair of 12's or 15's in infinite baffle, but I might just go with a single 10 (or 12 if it can fit) on a custom baffle in the rear deck. I don't play music super loud these days (even on my home system which can play loud very easily), and the interior of this big body LS430 is pretty darn quiet anyway, so maybe a single 10 or 12 will be more than enough. Heck, even the stock 8 isn't too bad, even at highway speeds, only that the stock system pulls out bass the higher you turn up the volume, so that sucks. Plus, I plan on doing some deadening in the car anyway, so that will help even more.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that Five Star will do another video of the head unit install, plus I'll be going to them for the rest of the system as well, so a multi-video "series" when it's all said and done.

As a side note, I had ceramic tint installed, custom fully adjustable Fortune Auto coilovers sitting here waiting to go on, a custom flashed ECU from Russia installed, and will be getting some wheels for it eventually, most likely 18's, maybe 19's.

And just for fun in case you are really really bored, a few pics of the "new" ride.

Last edited by SQ_Blaze; 05-13-2020 at 01:58 AM.
    2001 Lexus LS430
    Pioneer DMH-2660NEX | Pioneer GM D1004 | Helix DSP.2 | Rockford Fosgate Power T400X4ad | Morel TiW 634Nd | Audison Prima AP1 | Dayton Audio Ultimax UM8-22

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My 2001 Lexus LS430 Daily...

Went to Five Star Car Stereo yesterday. At the last minute, I decided to change my mind on the Kenwood head unit to have a Pioneer DMH-2660NEX head unit and Pioneer GM D1004 (tiny "brick" amp) installed instead. We just have the stock front speakers and subwoofer running. After much tweaking of the levels, time alignment and EQ last night, I've got the stock speakers sounding pretty good. Definitely a lot better than with the stock head unit and amp. The most impressive thing however is the stock Pioneer sub. That little thing can dig deep and has a considerable amount of punch. Of course, I'm not going to push it as I don't want to blow it.

This little brick amp is only a temp solution until I get the rest of the equipment in and go back for the final install, running an entire active system with DSP, etc, etc. This little amp will eventually be used to power the rear door speakers for when family is in the car with me. Fun times to come... Hopefully sooner than later.

2001 Lexus LS430
    Pioneer DMH-2660NEX | Pioneer GM D1004 | Helix DSP.2 | Rockford Fosgate Power T400X4ad | Morel TiW 634Nd | Audison Prima AP1 | Dayton Audio Ultimax UM8-22

3. Back To Top    #3

Those LS430’s are like rolling around on clouds, cool car!

4. Back To Top    #4

A bit of an update...

After much consideration and research, I decided to go with a single Dayton Audio UM8-22 Ultimax 8" sub. And to my surprise, Parts Express just put this driver up for sale today, for only $99.

I know when I first got into the system planning for this car, I was dead-set on doing a pair of 12's or 15's IB, but after hearing this old, stock 8" sub in the rear deck with a decent head unit and amp on it, it sounds shockingly good, provides plenty of punch, digs quite deep, plays loud enough to keep up with the stock fronts, and is fairly detailed considering. If this stock (again, 19 year old sub at that) can perform like this with 90 watts available to it, then the Ultimax 8 is definitely going to be a LOT better, especially when it gets a bit more power, somewhere in the 250-500 watt range.

Secondly, since I have been running this new head unit and little amp, the front door speakers have been seeing a bit more low end frequencies and volume, and just overall a lot more use (almost never played the stock system before since pretty much all the music on FM sucks these days and my Bluetooth cassette adapter sounds like pooh). Not that I'm pushing them hard or anything, but they are simply showing their age. The last time I was behind the door cards, I noticed that the drivers were still in good shape, but the surrounds felt a little dry and I could see some very fine hairline surface cracks in the foam. From the slight noises they are now making leads me to believe that old dry foam is finally giving up the ghost. Not surprised actually.

So with that said, I have decided to go with a pair of Hertz Mille Pro 165.3 components for up front. Five Star carries them, so I'll purchase them right from them instead of online. I just called Five Star and they will give me a great deal on them.

As I'm building this system a little bit at a time, I'm going to continue using this little Pioneer GM D1004 amp for a bit. When I go in to get the Hertz and Dayton installed, I think I'm going to have them install the Helix DSP.2 as well. Dean asked if I wanted the DSP installed when they installed the head unit and amp, but I passed since that would have been pushing them past their schedule and I didn't want them running late for the next customer. As it was, they ended up having to install that amp that neither of us had planned on.

It will be interesting to see how good the system will sound with all of that new gear installed along with the DSP with just that little budget GM D1004 amp powering it all. 45 watts x 2 + 90 watts bridged for the current sub as well as when the Dayton is installed. I know 90 watts isn't much, especially for that sub, but I don't play the system loud anyway, so it'll be fine for a while until I decide on an amp. That's one of the nice things about having a large, already well damped, insulated vehicle from the factory. It allows for a small amount of amplifier power to go a long way.

Anywho, that's about it for right now. Oh, and after demoing the current setup for all three of my brothers, they're all highly impressed with the sound. Two of them honestly believed that I had already replaced all of the drivers in the car, until of course they heard that front left driver start making its ugly noises. LOL

And just for fun, a couple of pics...

2001 Lexus LS430

5. Back To Top    #5

Another update - a.k.a. - mind change

So I was planning on buying the Hertz Mille components, but the lack of information on them and/or reviews of them, and the few personal reviews on different forums, there was just something putting a bad taste in my mouth about them. So I continued my search, and came across a classified ad in another forum. For a mint, new pair of Morel TiW 634Nd 6" drivers for an extremely great price... Pretty much two for the price of one! They sell for $199 each, and I got both for $225 shipped! No way I could pass up that deal. Considering that the route I'm wanting to go with this system, stealthy SQ install on the cheap, these fit the bill perfectly. Just because I have a budget and don't want to spend loads on this system doesn't mean I have to settle for bottom of the barrel quality components.
    2001 Lexus LS430

6. Back To Top    #6

And...

Just purchased a brand new pair of Audison Prima AP1 tweeters to complete the front stage. Only thing left to find now is a good 5-channel amp!
    2001 Lexus LS430

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Looking good. One great thing about those Lexus cars is that they are some of the quietest driving cars on the road. That makes for a nice foundation for a high fidelity system and because they are quiet, the available power goes a long way.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

8. Back To Top    #8

My thoughts exactly, and the current little Pioneer amp that I'm using proves that easily. Then again, stock speakers are typically very efficient as well, so that also helps. Once I start installing these new less efficient drivers, that 45 watts will not be going as far, but that will change with a good 5-ch amp. I should have picked up that Arc XDi 1200.6 the other day when it was still available, darn it.
    2001 Lexus LS430

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Quote Originally Posted by SQ_Blaze View Post
    My thoughts exactly, and the current little Pioneer amp that I'm using proves that easily. Then again, stock speakers are typically very efficient as well, so that also helps. Once I start installing these new less efficient drivers, that 45 watts will not be going as far, but that will change with a good 5-ch amp. I should have picked up that Arc XDi 1200.6 the other day when it was still available, darn it.
    Maybe, it depends. I’ve amped stock speakers before with very good results. Tweeters and midrange speakers don’t require much power but the midbass may need it depending on music and the sub stage it’s trying to keep up with. Given that you are using an 8” subwoofer, I don’t think the midbass would need much power to keep up. Here, read this as it will help you understand why. https://www.audiofrog.com/community/...get-150-watts/
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    Maybe, it depends. I’ve amped stock speakers before with very good results. Tweeters and midrange speakers don’t require much power but the midbass may need it depending on music and the sub stage it’s trying to keep up with. Given that you are using an 8” subwoofer, I don’t think the midbass would need much power to keep up. Here, read this as it will help you understand why. https://www.audiofrog.com/community/...get-150-watts/
    That makes complete sense, though my main concern is not whether or not the front stage will keep up with the sub, rather just have good headroom power for transient peaks. Again, not that I do or will play the system loud, but some of the music I listen to does have some decent dynamic swings. I've started listening to some "original sound track" recordings of movies, and most of those recordings are not compressed nearly as much as your typical commercial, mass produced music.
    2001 Lexus LS430