Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hertz Mille planar mids...my next project [emoji106]

1. Back To Top    #1

Hertz Mille planar mids...my next project

Been throwing around the idea of changing up my front stage a little. Already doing a full active 3-way with the a-pillars housing the tweeters and 3" mids. Stopped in at the local stereo shop and the fellow I always deal with brought these from there basement...Hertz Mille ML500Rs. It was love at first sight!

Since I know basically zip about this type of speaker, is there anything I should be looking out for at all? I will be installing them into the a-pillars of my '18 F150 and then moving the Helix tweeters into the sails. Should be an interesting quaranteen project to say the least.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Re: Hertz Mille planar mids...my next project

Haven't used these myself, but a lot of sq competitions cars had these over here when they were new.

And one thing I do remember, told by a good friend who installed a lot of these, are that they should never be installed within a sealed confinement, because the ribbons are so delicate/fragile that the air pressure from closing the car door can be enough to rupture them if they're not installed free air. As you can see they are open backed.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    Alfa Romeo GT

Cant find where i post comment on them.... many European competitors used them on top of the dash in horizontal alignment and with additional super tweeters, those big ass ribbons are usually placed where dash meet with windshield
    FOR FAST MOVING CONCERTS
    Team LBaudio
    Team BRAX
    Team SCB
    Team Car Audio Lab
    EMMA SLO head

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm very interested - staying tuned.
    I've played with some magnetic planar mids before, but didn't end up using them in a car.
    These look more like tweeters to me - what speakers are you looking to replace with them? Have you done any sample listening in the house, played with them at all, before installing in the truck?

If you are looking for install suggestions, I'd definitely hook them up and play with them aiming different ways - I know I'd be pretty confident that you will want to orient them more so they are nearly perpendicular across your A-pillar (so if you measured the distance from the top of the planar speaker to your headrest, and the distance from the bottom of the planar speaker to your headrest, they are equal lengths) because these types of drivers have much less directionality that way... In fact, if you look up any ribbon tweeter on Parts Express, and click to open the "specifications" PDF file, you'll see a plot of frequency response, and for these things they show two plots - horizontal vs vertical dispersion. You'll see the horizontal dispersion is awesome, but the vertical dispersion rolls off just like any cone driver of [diameter matching the length of your planar].
    So you'll want the driver oriented like I said - essentially all equidistant to your ears.

Then, see if they sound better firing directly across the windshield (probably not), and slowly rotate them both towards you... they'll sound better probably until they get to about where they are cross-firing at the opposite window or headrest, and then when they become on-axis enough with you to be sending sound reflecting off your side windows, they'll start getting worse again. Lock 'em down where they sound best, and start 'glassing!

I may actually be doing a ribbon tweeter like this in my own car... although i do have some Focal tweeters that I'll probably shoot myself if I don't use.

Curious how they work out for you.

5. Back To Top    #5

If I was to use them in an install, I'd probably install them on the door panels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H8f6358bb437343439da04b539bdab2e5a.jpg_q50.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	10946
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	close-alcantara-car-door-panel-600w-1213158067.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	10947

On the above pictures, I'd probably go where the electric window controls are... No reflection from the side window and away from the windshield.
    Can probably play with aiming and tune it to have the sound up above the dash with tweeters.

Plus is won't look like a tumor on your pillars/dashboard

Kelvin

6. Back To Top    #6

They are considered a mid as their FS is 370hz and I plan on crossing them over at 700hz.

I have done just a quick listen to them and they sound great...the increased detail was definitely noticeable compared to my 3" Focal Flax mids. One way or another they are going to have to go in the a-pillar since my truck is a F150 and has the dip down in the front doors so room is pretty much nonexistent.

Threw in a pic of my current setup other than the tweeters have been replaced with Helix P 1Ts.

I have a bit of experimenting to do yet but an super excited to try something a bit different.

7. Back To Top    #7

I think I am going to have to do something like this but I plan on moving the tweeter to the sail panel.

Or another one I found with them sunk into the pillar on an angle. Looks better IMHO but sound wise maybe not so much.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Darkimag22 View Post
    I think I am going to have to do something like this but I plan on moving the tweeter to the sail panel.

Or another one I found with them sunk into the pillar on an angle. Looks better IMHO but sound wise maybe not so much.

If you choose to put them in the sails, second pic would sound like crap IMO...
    Please read on the dispersion pattern of planars and ribbons

Kelvin

9. Back To Top    #9

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Kelvin. The more I read about these the more hesitant I am about using them. It's not like a normal 3" mid...most will drop right in to the same location. Not so if I go with the ML500R route.