Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hertz Mille planar mids...my next project [emoji106]

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Hertz Mille planar mids...my next project

The pic Kelvin shared is the orientation I was advocating as well - at least if the pathlength distance from the top and bottom of that mid to your ears is equal.

The link shared on the line arrays - I think that was shared to point out the negatives on a line, and that's exactly what led to an install I did years ago... Essentially an intentionally-nearfield line array, but then mitigating the negatives and turning them into what turned out to be some real positives in ways I didn't even expect:
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/showthread.php?p=59810
    (I added pics a few posts later.)

I may actually be looking at ribbon tweeters myself to play with, definitely carefully oriented, to see if the experiment here can also work in the much more difficult upper frequencies.

My opinion - if you have those already, and they sound awesome and have the output you want - you should at least give them an experimental attempt. If it works out, then tackle the cosmetic fabrication and upholstery.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    Alfa Romeo GT

Integrating those in pillars will be a challenge from aestethic standpoint.
    FOR FAST MOVING CONCERTS
    Team LBaudio
    Team BRAX
    Team SCB
    Team Car Audio Lab
    EMMA SLO head

3. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Darkimag22 View Post
    Thanks Kelvin. The more I read about these the more hesitant I am about using them. It's not like a normal 3" mid...most will drop right in to the same location. Not so if I go with the ML500R route.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
    If you already have them, it would be a good idea to try them before discarding the idea... You might be surprised
    Wrap them in a towel, set your crossovers and listen

Kelvin

4. Back To Top    #14

Great idea Kelvin

5. Back To Top    #15

Tomorrow I will be experimenting with placement, etc. Found some 6mm acrylic I had left over from dealing the huge holes in the doors of the truck to make the speaker adapters with.

6. Back To Top    #16

After a couple hours of messing around with positioning, the best sound is hands down with both the ribbons and tweeters aiming approximately between the front seats. Tryed them off axis and even flat on the dash firing at the windshield...no comparison whatsoever.

Guess the fun part now begins. Going to have to do a little refresher before I start cutting lol. It's going to be a lot of work but the end result with be worth it.

7. Back To Top    #17

Picked up my new pillars today and, unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to use the Hertz ribbons. Between the side airbag and integrated grab handle, there just isn't room in the pillar. I did not like how they sounded up on the dash so I'm out of options. May look at the Focal K2 3" mid...or maybe I'll just keep the Flax mids I already have...

8. Back To Top    #18

What is it you don't like about them?

I'd take them indoors, get some scrap MDF, play with how they sound in a big box, in a tiny box...
    If you can get them sounding how you like, then bring them in car again.

Look at my Boehleneder Graebner 3" planar mids for example... I bought the open back ones, but they sell them with a chambered back, and with a tiny "narrow" chamber back:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	264-756_ALT_0.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	302.1 KB 
ID:	11251
    No doubt they sound wildly different with open back (like mounted in a dash might be) compared to having an effectively tiny enclosure like that.
    Granted, with the TINY chamber they are probably meant for tweeter-only use, but I'd give it a try before giving up totally.

9. Back To Top    #19

It's not that I didn't like how they sounded...they sounded amazing. The issue was fitting them into my truck. The combination of the side curtain airbag and location of the grab handle made it next to impossible to mount into the pillar. I am sure there are other possible mounting locations but I feel it's not worth it to me. I am instead going to focus on optimizing my current setup. I may look at doing dual 6.5s in the front doors...or a single 8.

10. Back To Top    #20

If you really aren't going to use them - I'm actively looking for drivers to use for a 3-way setup - I was thinking of dome mids in the very corner of my windshield and an ambitious aimed ribbon tweeter A-pillar panel...
    But now that I look up what you have, those might work in my dash corners with some simple sail tweeters essentially functioning just as super-tweeters.

Don't suppose you want to partial-swap for some 3"x3" BG planar mid/tweets?

I don't know what you have into those, I believe you got them used but I know those were never cheap... I might be interested if you want to shoot me a message.
    I'm so early, not ready to install for even testing, so it might be a bit of a reckless purchase, but I'm intrigued.
    I'd love to hear more about your aiming experiences. Shoot me a message!