Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Op Amps and their effect on sound quality in DSPs?

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Op Amps and their effect on sound quality in DSPs?

Seems to be that if the supporting circuitry around the opamp is well designed, replacing one opamp for another in the same family has no appreciable impact.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Ben
    Vehicle
    2015 Ford Escape TI with sony

Sighted listening is a strong force , very hard to avoid it tbh..

Yeah iirc it was about 3 years ago I did some upgrades in the nvx amps for a couple guys.

Used my Dscope III to take various readings before and after. It's quite the tool and not a cheap one at that.. .

IMHO, I'm not a huge believer in the cap and opamp upgrades.

There are TONS of small variations I can measure on the Dscope that I can't possibly hear. The upgrades basically yielded no change anywhere overall in frequency response, noise, thdn, cmrr, crosstalk, phase response etc.

Fwiw, that thread was called 'Nvx Jad800.4 modification thread'. Seems like a long long time ago lol. I remember there was some blowhard that kept acting like he was gods gift to the EE world. He kept dropping in to share his "expertise" and how they definitely made an audible difference. Did my best to not lose my shit on him and muck up my thread.

Aaaanyway, my .02.

3. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by bnae38 View Post
    I remember there was some blowhard that kept acting like he was gods gift to the EE world. He kept dropping in to share his "expertise" and how they definitely made an audible difference. Did my best to not lose my shit on him and muck up my thread.
    It was probably the same guy that this thread is about that kept saying how a DSR-1 with replaced opamps will perform better than a Helix (over on the Challengertalk forum). :-) Interestingly, I haven't heard a peep from him on that forum since, so I'm guessing that the DSR-1 didn't work out so well for him after all. :-) Less isn't always more.

4. Back To Top    #14

It is actually Gordon (the amp doctor, father of genesis amps) who has said in the past that a helix dsp pro 2 uses 70s/80s op amps and they are 1 pound each and by swapping to a current modern £3 item the quality is much improved... and that a dsp.3 uses far higher quality/more modern parts than a dsp pro 2 for example...

For me I have an ultra, a dsp.3 and a mini and currently have the dsp.3 in my sq car due to budget reasons, I can’t honestly say it is night and day different from dsp.3 to ultra, I have no means of switching, I do know the specs on the ultra are higher than the dsp.3 so when budget allows in sq competition it makes sense for me to swap back to the ultra, every little helps to use the tag line of a U.K. supermarket