Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subless setup - Peerless SLS 6.5

1. Back To Top    #1

Subless setup - Peerless SLS 6.5

Won’t be listening with engine off and don’t have time to fab a box, boot (trunk) build etc so wondered if a pair of SLS drivers up front in the passenger foot well or rear foot wells would give enough lower midbass / high sub bass for listening while driving.

What size sealed box do they need?

Anyone used these as a sub in a multiple array?

Other front speakers will be Alpine Type X 5.25” mids (biggest size I can easily fit in the doors) and Alpine SPX clone tweeters in pods on the dash or a pillars.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Subless setup - Peerless SLS 6.5

I would definitely go vented with this driver, as bass output would be nonexistent in sealed.

PE recommends 0.21 ft.^3 vented, for an F3 of 55 Hz. Not sure of corresponding tuning for that F3, but guessing ~50 Hz.

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...-ohm--264-1148

3. Back To Top    #3

The 8" sls is a popular door midbass driver as they work well IB. The 6.5 would be better ported as grinder pointed out. If you dont want to build a box I recommend an IB subwoofer install, if you can make it work in your car.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by lithium View Post
    The 8" sls is a popular door midbass driver as they work well IB. The 6.5 would be better ported as grinder pointed out. If you dont want to build a box I recommend an IB subwoofer install, if you can make it work in your car.
    Happy to do a small box up front but can’t use the doors.

What size sealed box do the 8” need?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by SiW80 View Post
    Happy to do a small box up front but can’t use the doors.

What size sealed box do the 8” need?

A driver that's well suited to IB will typically need something on the large side. PE recommends 0.72 ft.^3.

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...ofer--264-1102

6. Back To Top    #6

Take more time to mod space in footwell than to throw a box in boot or just put some under seat

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by lithium View Post
    I had a lot of luck running the SLS6 IB in my door with significant midbass output. However I was high passing it at 70Hz. As you pointed out, if he could fit an SLS8 in the door that would be awesome for more low end extension.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Kris
    Vehicle
    2005 BMW Z4

Looking for some serious bass up front? Look no further...

M6+ - CDT Audio 6.5" 240 Watt Mid-Bass/Sub-Bass Drivers

https://www.woofersetc.com/p-5574-m6...s-drivers.html
    2005 BMW Z4
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS, NVX JAD 800.4 Amplifier
    Focal R165S2 6.5" Woofers, Powerbass 2XL-60.3C 2.75" Dome Midrange's, Seas 27TFFNC/G 1" Tweeters (Random drivers I scooped up affordably over time, all mounted in factory locations)
    Skar Audio EVL-65 6.5" Subwoofers (In factory subwoofer compartments behind the seats, surprisingly slams, for what they are - Running subwoofers in trunk are practically inaudible in this vehicle)

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

3x the cost compared to the peerless for not much gain if you just need something for 500hz and under, the peerless are hard to beat for price and performance.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a similar interest...

I'm planning on using all four door locations for some strong midbass drivers, and would also think about ones that could extend down to 40 or even 30 hz if possible.
    I want my sub box to be removable, and could have an alternative DSP setting that would remove the high pass filtering from the midbasses and turn off the sub channel.

I was hoping for a 6.5" that would be sufficient in a sealed setup as well (difficult to do that inside a door cavity - but at least easier to get sufficient space for a 6.5" than an 8"), but I suppose there's always the possibility of venting it just sideways into the door cavity to start with, or a passive radiator, and then working out some invisible way to create openings or a grille to let that energy in without letting all the road and wind noise in.