Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Three years to get around to my own install.

1. Back To Top    #21
    Vehicle
    2000 Honda Insight

Re: Three years to get around to my own install.

Good progress and looks like you are doing a good job planning this out first! Keep us updated!

2. Back To Top    #22

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    You are pretty local to me - I'm just south of Buffalo, NY in Orchard Park.
    I live just a town over in corn country.

You could use the routered groove across the length of the bottom as you suggested. Attach XT60 connectors at the end of the wires and put a press fit notch into each end of the channel. Put a couple wraps of decorative tape along the wires to press fit them into the channel as well. Bam quick end-to-end wire relocation.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

I saw that Steve Meade has a magnetic speaker cup so you could mount one on either side maybe? Not sure if that'll do what you need but check them out.

4. Back To Top    #24

Actually both of those are pretty slick ideas.
    The old wire and connector is probably less slick but easier - but maybe if I did both, with the magnetic coupler instead of the plug...
    Hmm...

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

5. Back To Top    #25

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    Actually both of those are pretty slick ideas.
    The old wire and connector is probably less slick but easier - but maybe if I did both, with the magnetic coupler instead of the plug...
    Hmm...

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Not sure if you like these, but I use them a lot:
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ckel--091-1247

Also, Schluter (a flooring brand) has lots of aluminum trim for transitions or joints in carpet.
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

6. Back To Top    #26
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

MD QR-1 Quick Release Speaker Box Terminal

Be the first to review this product

$129.99
    IN STOCK
    SKU 1-channel-NEO-Terminal

The SMD QR-1 Quick Release Heavy Duty speaker box terminal cup is a great solution to 2 common problems. One being that most terminal cups are very wimpy! Not this one! Rather than a very thin injection-molded unit like most others use, ours has a 1/2" body and 1/4" thick flange milled from 3/4" HDPE, this product will never crack or deform under pressure. The terminals we use are made of nickel-plated n52 neodymium magnets. They will never move OR leak! 100% Guaranteed not to "vibrate off" from any vibration of any sort. Of course, we use only the best Dual 10ga 100% OFC speaker wire!

The next problem this product solves is, of course, removability! If you live in a place you need to bring your box in at night, or perhaps to make room in the trunk for other items, now you can do it in a snap!

• CNC Milled 3/4" HDPE (1/2" Body, 1/4" Flange)
    • 5' ft 100% OFC 10ga Speaker Wire. Can fit 8ga as well! (If selected)
    • 1/2" Aluminum or Copper terminal blocks w/ 5/16" x 18 set screws (fits up to 8ga wire)
    • 8 Mounting fasteners included (Dealers may vary)
    • N52 Neodymium Magnets. VERY strong.
    • Cork gasket ready to go!
    • CUT OUT DIAMETER - 2.75"
    • FLANGE DIAMETER - 3.80"
    • Available in several different color combinations.
    • Made with pride in California, USA
    • Lifetime warranty!

7. Back To Top    #27

The Banana plugs or similar are definitely more on the budget friendly side...
    The SMD ones - I mean, it's just the price that's crazy there. If I were going to do one install with possibly four hot-swappable boxes, I'd actually need four of those - that would cost me over $500 just to make connections?

On the other hand, I'm a fabricator (as are lots of mobile audio installers) - I hate to say it, but he's priced these right in "backfire" territory...
    I think I may already own a bunch of these - I use them generally for holding trim panels in trunks without visible fasteners: https://www.amazon.com/VNDUEEY-Neody.../dp/B076GWZK99

The rest is just some thicker ABS - even just scraps out of my scrap heap are likely big enough, ABS glue to make layers into a cup and plug (which I think would look better than his routered solution here), or if I wanted to be really slick I could 3D print something that actually looked better than this. Crazy.

I say "backfire territory" because it's one thing to be a craftsman and leverage the advantage and investment into specialty tools - but when you cross the line when someone could actually buy the very specialty tools that you are counting on them not having, then to me that's like a personal challenge. I could 3D print these - including the full purchase price of the printer - for LESS than buying four.
    All it takes is one person who 3D prints it and makes the files available free, to make this little profiteering venture tank quick. Bad business strategy, IMO.

I kind of like the idea now of making my own... I think this might just have to happen.
    Last edited by geolemon; 05-13-2020 at 08:44 AM.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Charles
    Vehicle
    2015 RAV4

Yeah... but they won't have SMD branded on them.

9. Back To Top    #29

To be honest, I can actually think of a big way to improve that design. It's a little unsafe the way it is now - no issue if you are connected to a box, but let's say we removed it to drive to the hardware store. If that wire was connected to an amp, and those magnets either were attracted to chassis metal or something metal that just happened to be in the trunk, the magnets would TRY to pull that metal tight against the contacts, making for a short - bye bye, amp. Maybe even a fire, some amps don't have short protection. That would be fun to find, as you are driving down the road, wouldn't it?
    I suppose you could install an inline fuse on the speaker wire specifically for short protection, but that's a little unusual.

It wouldn't be rocket science to create a divider wall that extends out from the surface of the plug, to mate into a corresponding groove in the socket plate - or, a groove/divider wall pair on both that both mate up. The latter idea would protect both AND ensure polarity.

Then if the connector was attracted to something metal, it would stick to one magnet or the other, and the dividing wall would keep that from making contact with the other, at least in most cases.

Or a rim ring / moat circling each connector that mate up... You could design that to be polarized or non-polarized. I'm just not liking that the SMD ones don't even try for safety.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

Yes Geo, I agree these are crazy expensive. I saw them on a video a while back but never knew how much they cost. I put it out of my mind since I really had no use for them until I saw this post. When I put it up here I was like, oh a picture would be good, that's when I went on his site. I agree they're way too much, but one invaluable thing here is, you got an idea that is sparking a thought to come up with something, that price isn't really all that quantifiable. So even if this doesn't work out, by reading what you put up here, sounds like you may have the makings of either a product for others or at least one for yourself that will be of service for your needs. If you do come up with one, I may be interested. I have a 4runner I'm doing for my daughter and the possibility of removing the box is there. Yes banana plugs would work, however this idea or likened to it would be a lot better. let me know if you do...you got about three weeks...lol