Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Three years to get around to my own install.

1. Back To Top    #111

Re: Three years to get around to my own install.

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    My basement flooded with 27" of poo water back in 2014. I thought the restoration company would have dumped a lot of this at that time. But no, it still lingers on...
    That gives me the willies just thinking about that!

When I sold my house and moved into my fiancee's house, I had to build a new workshop/Fab shop in the basement - and it was a squeeze. I had to shrink my dust collection run, keep the tools closer together (you see I put them all on locking wheels so I can move them as needed).

There's still some things like my big table saw, chop saw that are in the garage, and are also on locking wheels - I'm obviously not cutting 4x8 sheets down here. My automotive tool cabinet and installation tools, and air compressor and manifold are also in the garage for obvious reasons...

...but I'd be devastated if the basement workshop got flooded out - it wouldn't take 27" either.
    :eek:

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #112

I'm moving on to the Aura...

Only gave them a minute so far so no conclusions other than I feel there's a little detail missing that the 2 inchers nailed.

Could just be frequency response - note I haven't set up a mic yet, since I'm trying to use different drivers to prove out the alignment/orientation theories before picking a specific driver...
    ..but I probably could use measurements to help in that regard as well.

Anyway - here's a picture to show how I had the TB's set up, with the fiberglass on the sides and back, which ruined the imaging (surprising, since that's how the Ohm speakers are inherently designed)

I actually didn't listen to these Aura NS3's that way yet, just set it up for this photo to show them, and the prior setup with the fiberglass.

3. Back To Top    #113

Believe it or not, I've scored a car windshield and built a frame for it, and am going to approximate a car dashboard/windshield/side/A-pillar/sail panels in my basement, to continue experimenting with the front stage, with reasonably-enough correct acoustics to prove or disprove experimental alignments.

I'll end up pursuing this installation in logical stages. With the front stage imaging being my ultimate goal, I'll perfect the ideas in parallel, and integrate that last (likely when the warm weather returns) - as the crown jewel.

It happened that I was able to tear my hatch apart during a final blast of warm weather we had and tackled all the damping/CCF there, so I'm starting with the hatch.
    Doors will be next.
    Front stage will be last.

4. Back To Top    #114

Lots of preliminary ideas and planning in this thread, but that's tough to follow for someone interested in an install.

Since I've finally bought out my lease and own the car now, and can commit to purchases and working on it (JUST in time for cold weather and snow, of course), I've decided to reboot this into a separate thread for the actual install:

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...install-thread

See you there.

5. Back To Top    #115
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    Lots of preliminary ideas and planning in this thread, but that's tough to follow for someone interested in an install.

Since I've finally bought out my lease and own the car now, and can commit to purchases and working on it (JUST in time for cold weather and snow, of course), I've decided to reboot this into a separate thread for the actual install:

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...install-thread

See you there.
    Yep. I'll bet you get some snow in Buffalo . Glad to see you back. You disappeared for a few months.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

6. Back To Top    #116

Did I see mention of a Phoenix Gold Cyclone?
    2019 Micro Blue Pearl Kia Stinger GT1 AWD-OEM Harmon Kardon System
    www.markfenskephoto.com

7. Back To Top    #117

Quote Originally Posted by mfenske View Post
    Did I see mention of a Phoenix Gold Cyclone?
    Not for this.
    But I own two - one complete, one "for parts" as a wire lead into the stator broke in an unfortunately permanent way.

8. Back To Top    #118

Not to raise this thread from the dead, since the new thread is covering where the actual action is...

...but this thread has been some interesting discussion for the fellow geeks, and only the fellow geeks would click my links anyway - so I thought maybe I'd drop some clues and breadcrumbs to keep things interesting.

These are things worth watching anyway, even though they don't seem at the surface to be car audio related. Both play into why I am building the listening rig in the other thread. You'll see these things come together over there, over this winter.

Breadcrumb number one. Picture below (from just a few posts back, in this thread) is one hell of a giveaway after watching that video.
    Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    I'm moving on to the Aura...
    Breadcrumb number two. There's clues INSIDE this video from our own favorite guy ErinH - who, as mentioned, we have the same car, and his own dash modifications have inspired this whole above-dash imaging experiment.
    There's an interesting driver shown and discussed there, something that isn't used in car audio. That sure is a rectangle of a home cabinet there - but the whole "tweeter/BMR/midbass" approach of this specific cabinet might be directly transferrable... and another experiment could completely resolve the efficiency issue.

Breadcrumb number three. Just another possibility, maybe another experiment... if you were following this post this was a pretty successful experiment from my past. Ignore what I said about ribbon tweeters - not only do I love my Focal TN-52's, but also I might have success again with widebands, or other drivers I might have already dropped clues above AND maybe I'vealready purchased for testing...

So stay tuned.

I'll keep the geeky stuff and clues off that other thread- it'll grow long enough with the actual install and front stage experiments.

9. Back To Top    #119

Very interesting, I was gonna ask you about the driver down firing into the top of those boxes when you first posted that picture but I figured since you said they were test boxes, it had something to do with that.

Those Ohm's are nice, I had a chance to hear a pair of the 1000's and they were quite impressive. Ever since I heard them, I have wanted to build a clone of sorts.

10. Back To Top    #120

Quote Originally Posted by Dakine_surf View Post
    Those Ohm's are nice, I had a chance to hear a pair of the 1000's and they were quite impressive. Ever since I heard them, I have wanted to build a clone of sorts.
    That is awesome. I've never personally heard any Ohm - or any Walsh drivers, specifically.

But speaking of breadcrumbs...
    I've worked backwards from these Balzano Villetri (now defunct) that i mentioned earlier in this thread blew me away at CES hi-end section probably 15 years ago now - and I had similar thoughts about doing a DIY version:
    https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_1...06-part-1.html

Of course, there's zero chance of doing that alignment in-car - a challenges which has stuck with me for years now.

It was the smaller (but still huge) Piazzetta towers that I heard in a pure stereo setup that blew me away - and in exactly the same way that Ohm Walsh pro reviewer is blown away by those Ohms that he decided to keep.
    ...and especially listen to his comments on being directly located against walls. That's something we can't avoid, in cars.
    (and was how the Piazetta were configured at CES - I fact THAT'S what caught my attention and had me asking for the demo)

That's the breadcrumb that led me to the Ohm approach to omni.
    ...and the Mirage OmniSat pair I scored, for that matter.

And - if you feel compelled to - Google cutaways of the components that are inside those Ohm speakers.
    Surprisingly simple, right?
    Surprisingly similar to traditional speakers-
    Similar enough to traditional speakers to... maybe... ?

Well... They are basically giving away the whole recipe here:
    https://www.german-physiks.com/techn...er-development
    ...that at least gives us the benefit of the "free lunch" section, and also some clues on what might make a better driver to capture some of those bending-wave benefits. It's all spelled out there.
    (Which you might see how the dots connect now, between my playing with these, and also with BMR drivers)

I'm still wondering if I need those benefits, or if the natural bandwidth of widebands and the narrower needs I have between my Anarchies and the TN-52s affords me a broader driver selection.

We'll see when we try.

Last edited by geolemon; 12-03-2020 at 02:19 PM.