Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Three years to get around to my own install.

1. Back To Top    #161

Re: Three years to get around to my own install.

So I think my next experiment just might be to reconnect that JL Xover, to run:
    • Neo3's on the tweeter outputs
    • Volvo Dynaudio domes on the Midrange outputs (filtered to 500hz up by the Dayton filter)
    • Anarchy from 500hz down (another Dayton filter)

Why?
    It gives me the option to:
    • to get the dome-to-Anarchy Xover point as low as possible... 250hz?
    • to get the Neo3S-to-dome Xover point as low as possible as well... I'm hesitant to put it between 1khz and 2khz but I clearly could get it somewhere between 500hz and 750hz.

I'd really need to listen to that in car - using the domes just to get the response down below 500hz, so I can lower the Anarchy Xover point lower is pointless if my imaging is fine with the Anarchies playing up to 500hz. If it works - great. No need for tweeters with these, really.
    But - if there's no need for the domes, then I will bring in some tweeters just to serve as supertweeters, really - 10khz and beyond 20khz. It's not that I need it, the detail on these Neo3's leave nothing to be wanted - but sometimes that extra "sparkle" can also add realism.

And of course I have nothing installed in the car yet so I might be pulling some jenky trick to do that listening on a temporary rig - I can pull something out of storage but I don't even have power wire run - time to start ordering amps I think.

2. Back To Top    #162

I really think this is the winning combo.

My listening notes aren't as deep, but I also didn't really need to do as much positioning. I've put both of these through their paces previously, so really all I was looking to answer is "do they sound good together?"

This set of measurements was interesting - I really don't know the crossover point on this JL crossover, so I decided to also take measurements with the Neo3's disabled and the domes disabled, to really get three individual curves:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Denovo Anarchy Volvo Dynaudio domes BG Neo3S combo SPL.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	15658
    Two crossovers in the mix here - 500hz Daytons, and the JL comp set Xover (which looks like 5khz), splitting these up.
    I should have really typed names on these so that legend labeled them, but the curves are:
    • Orange/brown - all drivers.
    • Purple - Volvo/Dynaudio domes and BG Neo3's (Anarchy's muted)
    • Light blue - BG Neo3's only (domes and Anarchy's muted)
    • Teal green - Anarchy only (Neo3's and domes muted)
    • Red - Volvo/Dynaudio domes only (Neo3s and Anarchy's muted)

I was really surprised at the lower dB level of the four Neo3s - that was measured with the switch on the JL Xover set to "high", I was shooting for "no attenuation", but it's posslble that the Xover has some built in - it was not sold as a general Xover, it came with a comp set, so that's likely true.

No concern, since I'm not using it in my actual install, it was really only intended to let me run my Pro Tech tweeters to help with the selection - this particular experiment wasn't even on my radar. I know from the prior measurements that the Neo3's are more efficient than this particular plot shows - so that has to be the Xover knocking them down a bit.

And still - this combo sounds truly amazing, even with that dome-to-BG Xover point way up at 5khz! It has all that delicious detail and accuracy.
    My initial listening after setting it up, I just couldn't turn it off.

I haven't even gotten to my "real" listening session, taking notes... but already I'm 99% sure this is the combo that I'm going to go with, and even though I can already tell there's going to be some aiming needed when I get in-car, I have a feeling that this alignment is even close to where I want them:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210422_175123.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	15659
    Dome toward the base of the A-pillar, one Neo3S higher up on the A-pillar, directly over the sail panel - with the other Neo3S directly below it on the sail panel. Or possibly, I could fatten the A-pillar to really close-couple the Neo3's on top of the other, covering the sail panel. That's more of a cosmetic consideration, though.
    Last edited by geolemon; 04-24-2021 at 07:30 PM.

3. Back To Top    #163

Some formal listening notes, even though there was a lot more listening prior to this, like I said. Really even with the crossover splitting them way up at 5khz, it's still 'the best of both worlds' of the listening I did with the domes and the Neo3S prior to this.
    Uber enjoyable:

-- Volvo Dynaudio domes / BG Neo3S combo
    -- both firing straight across, domes further than neo3s
    -- custom EQ: 500HZ down, Anarchy boosted for efficiency difference, 100hz down boosted as they roll off in the sealed boxes. 500-2khz baseline (domes). 4k-8k lowered due to efficiency of Neo3S. 16khz boosted as that's where neo3s r

- isn't she lovely (Livingston Taylor) - opening whistle is slightly left if I look down but not straight ahead (as I type this holding my phone) - oops! Forgot the floor carpet...
    - with that in place, it makes a difference. Still slightly left but noticing it's just the high components. Livingston's voice is well placed. Very slight center gap. Aiming helps.

- Suzie Blue (Ben Harper) - that opening old timey effect is so novel and good when it's this obviously an effect. The instruments come in with tremendous realism and the image isn't bad. Stage width is about the windows. Height is consistent, good, perhaps slightly lower than the best I've heard in my sessions. There's a little variance in height, but I'm listening for a rainbow effect and not finding that - it's pleasantly contributing to realism.

- Fast Car (Tracy Chapman) - her voice must be at the JL's Xover frequency, imaging is good but some of her voice is locateable. I have to dismiss it for now since these Xovers are just temporary.

- 7 years (Lukas Graham) - opening projector sound is perfectly presented. Some of his voice also is locateable but again think it's the Xover. The piano imaging is good. If I hold the near neo3 bank slightly, it improves slightly, so aiming should help.