Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helix DSP Ultra

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Helix DSP Ultra

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Yeah, I'm relatively new to the whole DSP thing as well and I love the Helix software. To me, it's very intuitive - different people just seem to like different interfaces - it just depends on which type of interface "clicks" for you personally. I think the biggest "tip" I can offer is that you just can't expect to install a DSP like the Helix and have your car completely tuned in a few days when you are new to the whole DSP thing. It takes lots of time, patience and research to fully understand how it all works. Lots of trial and error. However, just take it one step at a time. Start with the basics like figuring out how to set your crossovers, your levels, time alignment, EQ, etc... Rome wasn't built in a day. :-) Again, just don't expect to get in the car and be done with the tune right away - it just won't happen. Work on it as you have time and continue to get closer to your goal.

For me, learning to EQ is the hardest part and takes the longest to figure out. Even when you realize how to actually EQ, then you still have to learn exactly what type of EQ "curve" really works for you. For me, that was probably the hardest part. I just wasn't happy with the results after tunning to any of the "pre-defined" house curves - I had to really spend some time figuring out my own EQ curve. Just knowing what freqs to adjust to reach the overall sound you are looking for was not easy - but you'll eventually figure it all out. Again, just takes time.

Another thing I found very helpful was Room EQ wizard. To me, learning how to use that software for EQ is huge. Being able to take your measurements and then using REW to adjust the response and see the "predicted" result was a huge help. I would take measurements and then just work on them in the house, fine tuning my curve - that way I wasn't spending hours out in the car. I'd get things where I think I wanted them in the comfort of my home and then take the tune out to the car, load it up and listen. Maybe make a few manual adjustments while sitting in the car - then take new measurements and analyze them in the house on my PC when I had time. Rinse and repeat. That is just the way that *I* found works best for *me*.

Lots of knowledgeable people here to help along the way. It's a very rewarding experience. I've learned so much about audio while tuning my car. :-)
    This is all great advice... ^^^ Sounds you have come a long way with the Helix... I have more or less given up on tuning myself, I just don't enjoy it...

Despite having Dirac Live now and the ease of MiniDSP software, I am STILL going to have a remote tuning session this coming weekend with a forum member! So I am going to have my auto tune, auto tuned by someone else! Lol
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    So I am going to have my auto tune, auto tuned by someone else! Lol
    Just curious, how did this turn out for you??

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Quick update... So i picked up the Ultra yesterday from the store and was kind of surprised on how tiny it is <--- It's "cute"... As shallow as it sounds, for the amount of $$$ i spent on it, i whish Audiotec or MSC would have lied and put it in a HUGE, massive box with and added a brick for weight...

I started the install today, ripped out my AudioControl DM-810 and put this in its place. Ran thru and replaced all the wiring for the unit including new RCA's and new ferrules on the High level input wires coming from factory amp (only 5V on the front channels and 4V on rear) and plug everything in but kept the Remote Trigger out unplugged. Got all excited and fired up the software (DSP Tool 4.65a), set all my initial crossovers up, saved the settings, then went into the i/o EQ panel with 0 db pink noise playing and could not get the unit to read the incoming signals.... keep getting a communication error between laptop and DSP; "Network speed is too slow". I closed out the software, re-launched ensuring that i have the selector in the software set to 'usb' and double checked that the highlevel input switch is set correctly...

So what do you guys think? Should i start to play with the input gains?

4. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Cutaway View Post
    Quick update... So i picked up the Ultra yesterday from the store and was kind of surprised on how tiny it is <--- It's "cute"... As shallow as it sounds, for the amount of $$$ i spent on it, i whish Audiotec or MSC would have lied and put it in a HUGE, massive box with and added a brick for weight...
    You mean like the old HiFonics amp that was 2 feet long, weighed 20 pounds, and was literally half empty?

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Quote Originally Posted by Cutaway View Post

So what do you guys think? Should i start to play with the input gains?
    Possibly, this is what the user manual states:

"Input sensitivity is factory-set to 11 Volts. It is possible to varythe sensitivity between 4 and 32 Volts inside thedevice (see page 25; Adjustment of the input sen"
    Everything is routed correctly in the drag+drop panel for inputs and outputs?

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Quote Originally Posted by Haakono View Post
    Possibly, this is what the user manual states:

Everything is routed correctly in the drag+drop panel for inputs and outputs?
    Looks like it was a gain issue, i have set the gains on the 4 inputs that i am using and now the DSP talks to the Laptop. I would have never guessed this has to be done first, i would have figured if the DSP is on and all lights are green, then i should be good to go. After the gain settings, the software now boots into the DSP and i dont have to use the DEMO mode

So here is what i have so far...
    I did a quick set of the XOvers (Tweeter @ 2X the fs) everything else at 1.4X the fs as a starting point
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basic XOver.PNG 
Views:	275 
Size:	275.8 KB 
ID:	11488
    Then i set up a basic I/O

Name:	Basic IO.PNG 
Views:	225 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	11489
    Then did a quick Distance... Something odd though, i have TWO Rear Full Lefts

Name:	Basic TA.PNG 
Views:	199 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	11490
    Then i thought i would run a quick EQ on the incoming channels using Mono Pink Noise 0 dB And the below shots are after letting it run thru 3 times (Stopping on 4th)

Name:	1 Channel Alignment.PNG 
Views:	195 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	11491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 Channel Alignment.PNG 
Views:	208 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	11492

Wouldn't that be super fantastic but for whatever reason the DSP is not seeing the Signal. I Did verify that the track was playing... Any thoughts from you guys while i go back thru and read some more?

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Got love software lol.... I got up this morning, ran up to the coffee shop for some morning go juice and enthusiastically got back into the project... So with out changing anything, i fired up the DSP and laptop to try and figure out the "Input Alignment' and wha-la... i have signal

Name:	IA One Channel.PNG 
Views:	227 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	11505

8. Back To Top    #18

By the way, the reason you have "Rear L Full" twice in your time alignment screen is that you have channels G and H both setup for "Rear L Full" in the Input/Output screen (channels G & H). Channel H should be "Rear R Full".

Just a heads-up.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Now that i have the software working and the laptop communicating with the DSP, let's play and see what were looking at on the Input signal
    Here are the left and Right Fronts separate with a little adjustment on each

Name:	Left front.PNG 
Views:	304 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	11506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right front.PNG 
Views:	205 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	11507
    Time to get brave and see what the front looks like combined... Uhhh OH!!!

Name:	Full Front.PNG 
Views:	213 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	11508
    Oh wait, Skizer talked about this in one of his videos... Lets see what happens if i take oneside out of phase

Name:	Full Front out of phase.PNG 
Views:	202 
Size:	249.7 KB 
ID:	11509
    Yuck still looks like crap... LEt's start to tweek and see if we can work something out here... Come on Nissan & Helix, lets play nice and be friends....

Name:	Full Front out of phase Twk.PNG 
Views:	187 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	11510

Hmmmmm time to drink more coffee and reflect on life hobby choices???

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    By the way, the reason you have "Rear L Full" twice in your time alignment screen is that you have channels G and H both setup for "Rear L Full" in the Input/Output screen (channels G & H). Channel H should be "Rear R Full".

Just a heads-up.
    Yeah i found that this morning... But thank you so much for your eye's and pointing it out!!!