Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Helix DSP Ultra

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Helix DSP Ultra

I am heavily considering purchasing one of these and wanted to get some input from the forum. My experience with DSP's is very minimal, i started out with an Axxess DSP-X which was not too bad but it quickly died out and i replace with an AC DM-810 which has been "okay". Has some wonky issues relating to the BlueTooth module and my inability to connect with the DSP app but can stream to it just fine. The reason i'm looking to move away from it, besides the wonky software issues, is i want to start playing with a center channel and want to accomplish this via DSP.

I have tried searching on the forum but really havent seen much in what people's opinion of the unit is (except for the odd "word wars" regarding price). a few post i found talk a lot about using the Helix DSP but it seems like the post were centered around other models.

Any thoughts regarding this unit? Pro's/Cons? deal breakers for some? Any other units (besides the dayton piece) i should consider in its place? I wont be integrating with a PAC or NavTV harness, but I am using stock HU as source

Thanks in advance

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Helix DSP Ultra

A dsp.3 will do centre channel just fine also, it’s has a very similar setup to the ultra just without the virtual channels which I never used anyway, I own both (for budget reasons I have swapped to the dsp.3 as I am in a sq class with a price cap... I’m keeping the ultra for when I move up a class)

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Nick

Depends on your center channel. Will it only be one single speaker or on a passive crossover, or will it be a set if active speakers. If later, ultra is needed

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

I just started to watch the video on the software posted by @SkizeR and im not going to lie, i'm feeling a little intimidated lol

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Cutaway View Post
    I just started to watch the video on the software posted by @SkizeR and im not going to lie, i'm feeling a little intimidated lol
    You're not alone...
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

I re-watched the videos, this time not while i was on a conference call, and downloaded the software... Not as bad as i initially perceived

7. Back To Top    #7

The software is lovely to work with and tune! Far nicer than any other dsp I’ve played with including zapco dsp amp and dsp individual, and the jl tun software also...

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by Cutaway View Post
    The helix software is nothing to be intimidated by. There is certainly a learning curve to the entire tuning process but it is an enjoyable and rewarding experience, when you get the hang of it. I'm fairly green myself and am using a DSP.3, my first one ever. I have some local friends who use the Ultra and its got all the latest and greatest, but the entire Helix line is a quality product. The software is fairly intuitive (for me) and quiet frankly is half the fun of my stereo system. The virtual channels on the Ultra are "the next thing" so it is still fairly new and untapped, but the choice you make between the two won't be a bad one. If you can afford it, the Ultra will let you grow into it and is mildly futureproof, or so I've been told. Its a wicked unit.

Enjoy the process.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah, I'm relatively new to the whole DSP thing as well and I love the Helix software. To me, it's very intuitive - different people just seem to like different interfaces - it just depends on which type of interface "clicks" for you personally. I think the biggest "tip" I can offer is that you just can't expect to install a DSP like the Helix and have your car completely tuned in a few days when you are new to the whole DSP thing. It takes lots of time, patience and research to fully understand how it all works. Lots of trial and error. However, just take it one step at a time. Start with the basics like figuring out how to set your crossovers, your levels, time alignment, EQ, etc... Rome wasn't built in a day. :-) Again, just don't expect to get in the car and be done with the tune right away - it just won't happen. Work on it as you have time and continue to get closer to your goal.

For me, learning to EQ is the hardest part and takes the longest to figure out. Even when you realize how to actually EQ, then you still have to learn exactly what type of EQ "curve" really works for you. For me, that was probably the hardest part. I just wasn't happy with the results after tunning to any of the "pre-defined" house curves - I had to really spend some time figuring out my own EQ curve. Just knowing what freqs to adjust to reach the overall sound you are looking for was not easy - but you'll eventually figure it all out. Again, just takes time.

Another thing I found very helpful was Room EQ wizard. To me, learning how to use that software for EQ is huge. Being able to take your measurements and then using REW to adjust the response and see the "predicted" result was a huge help. I would take measurements and then just work on them in the house, fine tuning my curve - that way I wasn't spending hours out in the car. I'd get things where I think I wanted them in the comfort of my home and then take the tune out to the car, load it up and listen. Maybe make a few manual adjustments while sitting in the car - then take new measurements and analyze them in the house on my PC when I had time. Rinse and repeat. That is just the way that *I* found works best for *me*.

Lots of knowledgeable people here to help along the way. It's a very rewarding experience. I've learned so much about audio while tuning my car. :-)

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

I've been using a Helix DSP for about 5 years now, in my last 3 cars, as the first computer controlled DSP by me, but I've had some sort of DSP installed since the mid 90s, starting with a Rockford Fosgate Symmetry EPX, then onto HU with DSP integrated (with 3- or 4-way crossover, eq, ta etc).

Last HU before switching to Helix was a Pioneer DEX-P99RS that is very capable, but the Helix is so much more tuneable that it's really a different world. I've been using a P Six DSP 6-channel amp, where the DSP section is more or less comparable to a stand alone Helix DSP.2.

At first the setup and all the adjustability and settings were a bit daunting to get a hold of, but didn't really take long to get a grip of it. The basics at least, but I'm still learning new things, both from trying out myself, and also from instructional videos like the ones made by SkizeR here. AF are constantly adding features and improvements in the DSP software as well, so it's an ongoing learning curve.

As for choosing between a DSP.3 and Ultra, if that is being considered, I guess it comes down to looking what you spesifically need for your setup. Do you need (up to) 12 output channels, or are 8 enough? Is not having a coaxial digital input a dealbreaker? (only the Ultra has this, and you can't retrofit one to the DSP.3)