Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helix DSP Ultra

1. Back To Top    #21
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Re: Helix DSP Ultra

I now have supper flat input signals coming in... I had to take my input signal Pre BOSE amplifier to get a flat'sh full range signal. The downside is that my variable voltage starts at <200 mv and at half volume i have 1 volt of output and at max volume 2.5 volts clean. So i am looking at using an Overdriver of some type to feed the DSP, currently using an AudioControl LC6i

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Nick

Get rid of the LC6i and turn up your input gains. 2.5v is plenty. The ultra can be adjusted down to 1 volt of max input.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Get rid of the LC6i and turn up your input gains. 2.5v is plenty. The ultra can be adjusted down to 1 volt of max input.
    Thanks, for you advice, i had been pondering my decision to add the LC6i and i had been waiting on other's opinions

4. Back To Top    #24

Quote Originally Posted by Cutaway View Post
    Quick update... So i picked up the Ultra yesterday from the store and was kind of surprised on how tiny it is <--- It's "cute"... As shallow as it sounds, for the amount of $$$ i spent on it, i whish Audiotec or MSC would have lied and put it in a HUGE, massive box with and added a brick for weight...
    I felt exactly the same. So small, so light, so expensive. I imagine opening it expecting everything to be 24 carat gold.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. Back To Top    #25
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Does your DSP heat up? I didn't expect it to get as warm as it does. But after thinking about the fact it has dual process running without active cooking, it makes sense. It just took me by surprise

6. Back To Top    #26
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Wow!!! I am such an idiot, i've been battling this install and trying to solve what isnt a problem. As you can see from the above screen shots, grabbing signal after the BOSE amplifier was not a good idea as the amplifier does the processing. So instead I found the signal wires that go from the head unit to the amp and grabbed those which gave me a beautiful signal (will post pictures later), but by grabbing these signal wires, i lost all signal voltage.

So i have been banging my head against the wall trying to use these pre-amp signals as the HIGH LEVEL to feed into the DSP with horrible luck. The DSP will not trigger on via "signal sense" until the head unit is 3/4 of the way up and then shuts down for lack of signal. It finally dawned on me tonight that the BOSE hu sends a Differential Balanced signal to the factory amp and all i have to do is add some damned RCA ends onto the signal wire and have low level inputs

I have to say, i am truly embarrassed that it took me this long to realize what was right in front of me and i'm only posting this so that maybe someday someone will be trying to figure out how to bypass their BOSE amp in a Nissan and stumble across this thread and learn from my mistakes

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Nick

Just a heads up, bose systems (especially in nissans) usually use a fixed level preamp signal and volume is controlled inside of thr amplifier via a digital signal. Hope you have a director or urc.3 to control volume. Unless the car is old enough that they didn't introduce that yet.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

8. Back To Top    #28
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Just a heads up, bose systems (especially in nissans) usually use a fixed level preamp signal and volume is controlled inside of thr amplifier via a digital signal. Hope you have a director or urc.3 to control volume. Unless the car is old enough that they didn't introduce that yet.Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for making me nervous lol... After reading your post i did triple check and the voltage is variable. Thanks goodness too, because i can not find any aftermarket wiring solutions for this vehicle except the basic wire harness or the Metra with HVAC controls and everyone has told me to stay far away from that kit.

Here are the RAW/Non-Adjusted signals that i have to work with - Head unit turned all the way up with no distortion present and Input Gains of the DSP individually matched
    Front - Left | Right and then Front Combined
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left front.PNG 
Views:	213 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	11636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right front.PNG 
Views:	172 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	11637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Full Front.PNG 
Views:	189 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	11638
    Rear - Left | Right and Then Rear Combined

Name:	Left Rear.PNG 
Views:	203 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	11639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right Rear.PNG 
Views:	206 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	11640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Full Rear.PNG 
Views:	174 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	11641
    Then all four inputs combined for the heck of it

Name:	All four.PNG 
Views:	180 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	11642
    Definitely nothing special but much better than what i started with when i was trying to grab signal post BOSE amp

What do you guys see? Is there anything that causes you to raise an eyebrow and say "hummmmm". Anything else that you can suggest that i be looking at in terms of input signal?

9. Back To Top    #29
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

What do you guys think, should I wait on the UMI-1 calibration file before doing any REW sweeps? I'm just wondering how important it really is if it doesn't come in the packaging?

10. Back To Top    #30
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

What are your opinions on both the Director & WiFi Controller? I like the idea of not needing to keep a USB cable in the vehicle for accessing the DSP but if others have found the WIFI controller to be buggy or slow or just an overall PITA then usb it is..