Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Anyone install a wideband to replace a tweeter in active 2-way setup?

1. Back To Top    #51

Re: Anyone install a wideband to replace a tweeter in active 2-way setup?

I love playing with drivers that aren't in those "classes" but can hang with them.

That lets me buy them, listen to them, not necessarily use them... turn 40-something and find yourself needing a climate controlled storage unit... OK, maybe don't go that far.

But I otherwise hate to buy speakers blind.

Cheap ones (or at least reasonably priced) that have DIY-community credibility as a substitute for my own ears, that I can do.
    Expensive ones that inherently carry the sunk cost fallacy stigma - those, you inherently can't trust the positive words of anyone who's heavily invested. Sad but true.

I've done some 2" Tang Band mids that had machined phase plugs - sounds fancy but they were cheap, and sounded great.

PE also sells a few Aura "whisper" models - they have a dish shape cone, neo magnet, that's underhung - so low IM distortion. I've had a few of those in random things.

Most recently I'm playing with Volvo domes, and truly love them. Cheap because they are junkyard parts - the official Dynaudio versions are $300 each, I think.

Madisound probably has some intriguing $25-50 widebands too.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #52
    Real Name
    Dan
    Vehicle
    2014 Kia Sorento EX

3. Back To Top    #53

Back ordered though.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #54

Quote Originally Posted by steelwindmachine View Post
    I'm now investigating wideband/mid candidates in the 2"-3" size to go into my a-pillars and depending on results, leaves me the option of popping decent small tweeters behind the factory tweeter-equipped door sail panels for 3-way fullness.

I'm looking at specs for:
    Dayton RS75-4, super cheap (I have a dealer PE account )
    CDT Unity 7.5 (due to higher sensitivity over the U8)(refurbs are pretty cheap)
    Aries SK 3 (pretty inexpensive)
    Hybrid Audio Unity U2 (just over 2x as expensive as the SK 3 pair)
    Hybrid Audio RAM2 (nearly 4x as expensive as the SK 3)

I'm price sensitive first, then drilling down by performance between 5KHz and 18KHz (my hearing pretty much falls silent above 16KHz).

The Dayton is the least expensive by a quite a bit, although the SK3 can be bought with a Hybrid tweeter for $162 right now and whether I use the tweets or no, that cuts the per driver cost down.

If I went for CDT, I'd just go for the refurbs to save cash, but I'm conflicted since I can't aim them at my windshield, CDT's info is kinda sketchy, but Jtrosky loves his...so, idk...

The Hybrid Audio RAM2 is obviously more expensive and I haven't found much in user reviews in a 2-way setup despite seeing install pics on their website in pillars and sail panels.

I suspect I'll just have to buy something, try it and see if it satisfies and if not, buy something else to test, rinse and repeat and then sell off all the drivers that didn't work out.

I wish I could hear a wideband demo car or even a car with a 3-way system and then have the tweeters switched off and determine whether I can discern the difference.
    The ram2 isn’t hybrid audio? Are you thinking of audible physics?

the hybrid unity 2 is excellent as widebands go, take a bit of running in to get the top end from them, but once they are run in they can sound excellent and take a fair bit of power as long as you don’t go too low with the crossover

5. Back To Top    #55
    Real Name
    Dan
    Vehicle
    2014 Kia Sorento EX

@geolemon - they can be had on ebay either as a single or in a pair, but for a few bucks more than my cost.

@dumdum - thanks, I corrected my list and I'll keep the Hybrid Unity 2 in mind. I saw Mauian's thread where he compared it against the AF equivalent and it was quite compelling.

6. Back To Top    #56
    Real Name
    Dan
    Vehicle
    2014 Kia Sorento EX

this driver also looks pretty good for wideband use: https://usspeaker.com/beyma%203FR30Nd-1.htm

7. Back To Top    #57

I installed the gs25 and did a rough tune because I couldn’t wait till the weekend. It sounded very noticeably different in a positive way. tellculvers com survey taco bell breakfast hours
    Last edited by tarksur; 09-06-2022 at 03:07 AM.