Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone install a wideband to replace a tweeter in active 2-way setup?

1. Back To Top    #41

Re: Anyone install a wideband to replace a tweeter in active 2-way setup?

I don’t think you’re going to find a wideband that has a sensitivity near the SB29RDNC (94 dB). It’s just a trade off of being a wideband. If you want loud I don’t think a wideband will be a good choice (they will be far less likely to keep up with the mb8). I’d probably listen to what Eric recommends. He obviously knows his speakers very well and will likely give you the best advice on what will sound best for them.

I’ve had that tweeter (Sb29rdnc) and it’s a great tweeter. I’ve had many widebands as well and any 2” wideband will fit in almost the exact same space as the SB29RDNC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #42

Quote Originally Posted by mauian View Post
    I don’t think you’re going to find a wideband that has a sensitivity near the SB29RDNC (94 dB). It’s just a trade off of being a wideband. If you want loud I don’t think a wideband will be a good choice (they will be far less likely to keep up with the mb8). I’d probably listen to what Eric recommends. He obviously knows his speakers very well and will likely give you the best advice on what will sound best for them.

I’ve had that tweeter (Sb29rdnc) and it’s a great tweeter. I’ve had many widebands as well and any 2” wideband will fit in almost the exact same space as the SB29RDNC.

Ok ty. I think I'll be scrapping the wideband idea and just installing the SB29s and go from there. Maybe go 3way in the future. Any recommendations for a high sensitivity midrange preferably as small as possible since it may have to go in the pillars.

3. Back To Top    #43

Yeah, unfortunately, it seems that you're not going to find a super-sensitive wideband.

I've never understood just how much difference it can make having more of the sound come from up at the dashboard level. My previous car had door-mounted midbass speakers and a tweeter in the a-pillar and my new car has door-mounted midbass speakers and a larger-format speaker in the dash (3.5" from the factory, now a 2" wideband). I just think that, generally speaking, you get a MUCH better sound with the larger-format speakers up at the dashboard level. Having the ability to play from 300hz-500hz and up from a single speaker in such a high and "in front of you" location just seems *so* much better than just having a tweeter at that height.

I once even tried using my dashboard speakers like a tweeter in my current car by moving the crossover frequency up much higher and it just didn't even compare to the 500hz crossover point that I'm currently using (just as an example).

That is why I mentioned possibly using a wideband instead of a tweeter. However, it sounds like that type of setup just isn't in the cards for what you are looking to do because of the low sensitivity of widebands in general. All depends on your specific wants/needs. Lower sensitivity didn't turn out to be an issue with my particular setup, in fact I still have to lower the level of the widebands compared to the midbass speakers in order to get them to blend well, so low sensitivity wasn't an issue in my case).

Anyway, good luck with your install - I'm curious to hear what you end up doing and the results! Please be sure to follow-up once you get things installed and tuned - always like hearing others experiences with different setups.

4. Back To Top    #44

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmil982 View Post
    Ok ty. I think I'll be scrapping the wideband idea and just installing the SB29s and go from there. Maybe go 3way in the future. Any recommendations for a high sensitivity midrange preferably as small as possible since it may have to go in the pillars.
    A 3-way will be nice.

I don’t have experience with these but could work (sensitivity of 92 dB):

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...dome-midrange/

Madisound is a good resource where you can see different options.

You may want to consider going 3-way from the start with a different tweeter than the SB29RDNC (which is a great tweeter for 2-way but there are likely better options for 3-way that are smaller).

5. Back To Top    #45

Another option are other horn loaded drivers from parts express:

https://www.parts-express.com/seleni...eeter--264-348

https://www.parts-express.com/pyle-p...eeter--272-102

I have no idea how good these are though.

I would probably defer to Eric, or really anyone else with experience with Stevens Audio speakers and what pairs well with them.

6. Back To Top    #46

Quote Originally Posted by mauian View Post
    Another option are other horn loaded drivers from parts express:

https://www.parts-express.com/seleni...eeter--264-348

https://www.parts-express.com/pyle-p...eeter--272-102

I have no idea how good these are though.

I would probably defer to Eric, or really anyone else with experience with Stevens Audio speakers and what pairs well with them.

Yeah I checked those two out and I'll try to find some reviews on those. They do look similar to bullet tweeter I've seen recently that have that really high SPL ~105dbs, and all of those type tweeters have all been poorly reviewed.

Can you speak to these options...

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...-ohm--264-1386

https://www.parts-express.com/morel-...eeter--277-084

7. Back To Top    #47

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmil982 View Post
    Yeah I checked those two out and I'll try to find some reviews on those. They do look similar to bullet tweeter I've seen recently that have that really high SPL ~105dbs, and all of those type tweeters have all been poorly reviewed.

Can you speak to these options...

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...-ohm--264-1386

https://www.parts-express.com/morel-...eeter--277-084
    Unfortunately, I cannot

8. Back To Top    #48

I replaced my CDT ES-02-Pod Widebands with Stevens Audio Full Size HLCDs which I have paired with his MB-6s. I am super happy with the transition. It's not a fair comparison, it's like comparing apples to oranges.
    I was happy with the ES-02s, I thought they did a very good job. I'll keep them for the future. They did roll off a lot earlier than the HLCDs, and the sensitivity wasn't really holding up IMO. I've heard good things about the Unity widebands from CDT - but unfortunately there is a major price difference ($99-~$300+).
    I'll also add that my comment is a little off topic, but after reading the thread I couldn't help but throw it in the mix. I think HLCD's have to be considered when talking widebands.

9. Back To Top    #49
    Real Name
    Dan
    Vehicle
    2014 Kia Sorento EX

I'm now investigating wideband/mid candidates in the 2"-3" size to go into my a-pillars and depending on results, leaves me the option of popping decent small tweeters behind the factory tweeter-equipped door sail panels for 3-way fullness.

I'm looking at specs for:
    Dayton RS75-4, super cheap (I have a dealer PE account )
    CDT Unity 7.5 (due to higher sensitivity over the U8)(refurbs are pretty cheap)
    Aries SK 3 (pretty inexpensive)
    Hybrid Audio Unity U2 (just over 2x as expensive as the SK 3 pair)
    Audible Physics RAM2 (nearly 4x as expensive as the SK 3)

I'm price sensitive first, then drilling down by performance between 5KHz and 18KHz (my hearing pretty much falls silent above 16KHz).

The Dayton is the least expensive by a quite a bit, although the SK3 can be bought with a Hybrid tweeter for $162 right now and whether I use the tweets or no, that cuts the per driver cost down.

If I went for CDT, I'd just go for the refurbs to save cash, but I'm conflicted since I can't aim them at my windshield, CDT's info is kinda sketchy, but Jtrosky loves his...so, idk...

The Hybrid Audio RAM2 is obviously more expensive and I haven't found much in user reviews in a 2-way setup despite seeing install pics on their website in pillars and sail panels.

I suspect I'll just have to buy something, try it and see if it satisfies and if not, buy something else to test, rinse and repeat and then sell off all the drivers that didn't work out.

I wish I could hear a wideband demo car or even a car with a 3-way system and then have the tweeters switched off and determine whether I can discern the difference.
    Last edited by steelwindmachine; 01-05-2022 at 07:52 AM.

10. Back To Top    #50
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

The audiofrog gs25 is supposed to be pretty good wideband

Also the Legatia l3se is really good. Justin Zazzi runs that (IIRC)
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods